Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Bios doesnt detect disk after forced upgrade

May 19th, 2019, 9:15

Hello , i have a ST3500418AS, i tryed to upgrade last firmware (CC49) of my model and from the oficial page , but when the procces was going to start it gave me the message : Model Matched , but firmware not compatible. I had HP35 firmware. So i did a force upgrade with a command, on the oficial utility , the procces finished succesful , but when i restarted the pc , the bios doesnt detect the Disk. I knew it was risky , but was a old disk with nothing of data inside , so i decided take the risk. Just want to know if its posible or not repair it , and as i said , i didt have data insead so i Will to know just if it can work again . Thanks

Re: Bios doesnt detect disk after forced upgrade

May 20th, 2019, 3:23

As I explained to you at Tom's Hardware, cross-flashing OEM and retail firmware, or even cross-flashing different streams of retail firmware, can result in a nonfunctional drive.

Your firmware "damage" can be repaired, but I wouldn't know how you could do it without professional tools. Sorry.

You could try to connect to the drive's terminal port with a USB-TTL adapter (US$5). This should at least tell us how the drive is behaving.

(I hope this answers your PM at Tom's Hardware)

Edit: Which command line did you use to update the firmware?

May 20th, 2019, 5:44

First , thanks . I was investigating and i discovered a recovery firmware tool called : Atola . It says that can repair damage firmware but dont know if is enaugh having my hdd damaged conected like always in the same pc but with a ssd apart to run the windows software . And if the bios cant detect it, will do it that program? I used the command was like : F486a -d HCC49.LOD -a -v -b -x -20 more or less. But i put it correctly im sure of that.

May 20th, 2019, 18:19

Did you apply the 1-head or 2-head LOD file?
Post a reply