Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

No soldering required RS-232 Seagate terminal parts list :)

October 20th, 2008, 19:46

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd post what I use for Seagate diagnostics for those who like me don't want to solder together a new board.

SchmartBoard 7100-0001-01 Populated RS-232 Module (it comes with a DB9 female connector ready to go)
Item # 4717389 - http://shop3.frys.com/product/4717389 - $14.99

SchmartBoard 920-0005-01 3" Jumpers (I actually use the 2" ones because I didn't realize I could order 3". You can also interconnect them with the included pin coupler to make them longer)
Item # 4717419 - http://shop3.frys.com/product/4717419 - $4.99

Then just connect the long jumpers to the drive pins and give it 5V of power. I just use one of my old USB accessories for this purpose.

[data] { x x T x } [power]
[data] { x x R x } [power]

For PATA

[power][data]{ T R x x }

For SATA

The board has TX/RX LEDs as well so you can monitor the activity.

Works great!

Re: No soldering required RS-232 Seagate terminal parts list :)

October 21st, 2008, 1:12

It's for lazy people... I use the soldering iron like Indiana Jones the whip... :-)

October 21st, 2008, 6:03

Wiseleo, do you work at Frys?

October 21st, 2008, 6:24

We use dual RS232 PCB's that we make. Only costs a few cents/pennies/dinaries etc etc to make

Get yourself some cheap hex inverters and away you go!

October 21st, 2008, 6:28

A bad name for electronics' shop... Usually pcb, boards etc. get ' FRIED ' :-)

October 21st, 2008, 17:16

thatdellguy wrote:Wiseleo, do you work at Frys?

No. I doubt they can afford me. :) I live very close to one and spend an awful lot of money there. While I do have wholesale accounts with the likes of TechData, it is faster and usually cheaper for me to grab something at Fry's. That especially applies to hard drives since I prefer not to keep a stock of this perpetually depreciating inventory.

I don't know about you, but I got tired of looking for various components to make an RS-232 board, so I simply remembered seeing the SchmartBoard things on display and figured they would work quite well.

If I wanted to have some real fun, I'd probably think of firing up my dusty Cisco 2511-RJ box that I used as a terminal server for my Cisco cert with 16 serial terminals. Hmmm... That is actually not a bad idea! 16 serial ports for 16 hard drives... A 2509 might also be interesting.

I know the store layouts for at least 4 locations well enough to walk in, buy what I need, and walk out in about 10 minutes. :)
Post a reply