All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lacie Ethernet Big Disk 2TB replace HDDs
PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 16:59 

Thanks for the replies guys,

I will try those other settings & checks, ipconfig in run is good to show the ip address I think!
The strange thing is it does have the mac address on the sticker of the unit written in 1 of my replies above, but it's not the same address shown in the actual settings when in network as shown in 1 of the photo's above!

I've attached a photo of the board, not sure if it will help, I just thought as the item was made in 2007, there would be a better, faster firmware update since then?

Again thanks for all your elp & advice!

Grant

Attachments:
000_0306.JPG
000_0306.JPG [ 325.15 KiB | Viewed 9691 times ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 17:35 

photo of the back side where the IC20 chip is, but cant get a clear hi res photo of itself(have tried but blurry!).

Attachments:
000_0308.JPG
000_0308.JPG [ 328.13 KiB | Viewed 9688 times ]

PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 21:37 

I doubt that it will help you at all, but the board's firmware appears to be stored in a Macronix NAND flash memory chip (IC15) in the bottom right corner of the first photo. AISI, you would only need to reprogram this chip (via a header on the PCB ?) in the event that it became corrupted.

As for IC20, I can't make out anything from the photo. In any case, I suspect that nothing would be gained by poring over the hardware, except to satisfy our curiosity.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2012, 16:26 

o.k. well yet another night of trying to get it recognized.... Still no luck!

Here's a screeny of what it shows in ipconfig in command prompt, but if I try & type any of them into explorer bar nothing, says it cant find or doesn't exist!

I even tried the proceeding numbers after what show's up in the ip config, but nothing!

It seems even weirder as the blue power switch on the device is non responsive just stays on all the time & pressing the micro switch does nothing to shut it down or reset it!
I have to switch power on & off at teh wall to control it!

Thanks again Grant

Attachments:
LaCie network.jpg
LaCie network.jpg [ 63.66 KiB | Viewed 9670 times ]

PostPosted: March 31st, 2012, 16:51 

einstein9 and warnerr would be best placed to answer your networking questions.

However, AISI, warnerr is saying that you have a problem in the connection between your Windows box and your router. Just to be certain, I take it that you have a router, and that one port on this router is cabled to your Windows PC and another is connected to your Lacie NAS.

After your Windows box boots up, it waits to receive an IP address automatically from a DHCP server running inside your router. If the timeout period expires and the PC still hasn't obtained an address, it then reverts to its alternate settings, in which case it uses those manual settings which you have supplied. I presume you have obtained these IP addresses from the Lacie manual.

You can confirm beyond doubt that you have a connection problem by disconnecting the network cable from the PC and then rebooting. If ipconfig still produces the same output, then that would suggest that there is some problem between the PC and the router.

BTW, you can capture your ipconfig output to a text file, as follows:

ipconfig /all /batch winipcfg.out

You could also use the GUI alternative, winipcfg.

The fact that the NAS doesn't respond to its soft power button may be indicative of an internal problem. I don't know whether this would be hardware or firmware related. You could try to narrow this down by connecting your NAS to your PC via USB. Your Windows box should detect the USB device via PnP and then prompt you for drivers. Afterwards the Lacie box should appear as local storage.

Alternatively, you could use Microsoft's UVCView utility to confirm whether the Windows box can see the NAS:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_ID ... ew.x86.exe

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 7:30 

fzabkar wrote:
einstein9 and warnerr would be best placed to answer your networking questions.

However, AISI, warnerr is saying that you have a problem in the connection between your Windows box and your router. Just to be certain, I take it that you have a router, and that one port on this router is cabled to your Windows PC and another is connected to your Lacie NAS.

After your Windows box boots up, it waits to receive an IP address automatically from a DHCP server running inside your router. If the timeout period expires and the PC still hasn't obtained an address, it then reverts to its alternate settings, in which case it uses those manual settings which you have supplied. I presume you have obtained these IP addresses from the Lacie manual.

You can confirm beyond doubt that you have a connection problem by disconnecting the network cable from the PC and then rebooting. If ipconfig still produces the same output, then that would suggest that there is some problem between the PC and the router.

BTW, you can capture your ipconfig output to a text file, as follows:

ipconfig /all /batch winipcfg.out

You could also use the GUI alternative, winipcfg.

The fact that the NAS doesn't respond to its soft power button may be indicative of an internal problem. I don't know whether this would be hardware or firmware related. You could try to narrow this down by connecting your NAS to your PC via USB. Your Windows box should detect the USB device via PnP and then prompt you for drivers. Afterwards the Lacie box should appear as local storage.

Alternatively, you could use Microsoft's UVCView utility to confirm whether the Windows box can see the NAS:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_ID ... ew.x86.exe

BTW
OR u can use Basic Print to screen (do it to a FILE) with the following:

ipconfig /all >>config.txt

General for any dos commnd

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 15:46 

einstein9 wrote:

Actually, although that does work for most DOS commands, including ipconfig, it doesn't work for those DOS commands that write directly to the screen rather than to the CON device.

For example, the following two commands produce different results:

fdisk /? > fdiskhlp.txt
fdisk /status > fdskstat.txt

PostPosted: April 1st, 2012, 17:57 

Thanks again for all the replies, but seem to be getting a bit off topic, lol!

Yeah I can confirm if I plug in the usb from LaCie it will recognize it & ask for drivers & I instal them but it only see's 160Mb or 460Mb(can't remember which off the top of my head, I think it has a 460Mb partition when looking through diskmanagemnt but when installed the usb driver it only showed a 160Mb staorage area, which was weird as I don't think there was a partition of that size).

But yeah if I try & connect the lacie through the router I can't get any ipconfig info from anything other than the router, so I can only get the LaCie config when it's plugged directly into the network adapter of the desktop it self!

Thanks again for ideas & hopefully I'm getting somewhere!

Cheers Grant

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 3:38 

fzabkar wrote:
einstein9 wrote:

Actually, although that does work for most DOS commands, including ipconfig, it doesn't work for those DOS commands that write directly to the screen rather than to the CON device.

For example, the following two commands produce different results:

fdisk /? > fdiskhlp.txt
fdisk /status > fdskstat.txt

Sorry fzabkar but it does WORK with me WinXP dos prompt
try it

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 3:50 

einstein9 wrote:
Sorry fzabkar but it does WORK with me WinXP dos prompt
try it

Sorry, I should have said that my examples were tested in a DOS box in Windows 98SE.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 4:00 

heheeh come on W98, where are you located man, somewhere in Africa, even African are using new OS
:wink: :wink:

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 6:04 

My Internet box is about 14 years old. If I took it out of service before its time, I'd feel like I was putting down a faithful old dog. In fact, my eyes are misting up right now ...

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 7:27 

sorry to interject.... LOL

I still have a device that I can't config? any ideas? What am I doing wrong?

Maybe something with dhcp through the router?

But I thought it may be easier to configure direct in a desktop?

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 8:28 

fzabkar wrote:
My Internet box is about 14 years old. If I took it out of service before its time, I'd feel like I was putting down a faithful old dog. In fact, my eyes are misting up right now ...

Just admit it. You are using the old system because you cannot afford a new system because you offer your services for under $10. ;)

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 11:23 

Until you have a working network you will not gain access to the Lacie to program it. Rather than guessing at setting for all : set up computer with connection in automatic (microsofts default) and plug it and Lacie into router. You should be able to browse the internet, for example , to show you have working networking. The Lacie's factory settings should pick up dhcp. DOWNLOAD LATEST"LACIE NETWORK ASSISTANT" and then AND USE IT. IT LOCATES IP FOR YOU, handles LMS registry restrictions in modern OS, etc. Enough said.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 20:07 

gruntly69 wrote:
But yeah if I try & connect the lacie through the router I can't get any ipconfig info from anything other than the router, so I can only get the LaCie config when it's plugged directly into the network adapter of the desktop it self!

The Lacie NAS is not intended to be plugged into a PC's ethernet port. Both your PC and your NAS expect to get an IP address via DHCP from a router. In any case your cable is actually connecting the Lacie's Tx pair to the PC's Tx pair, and the Lacie's Rx pair to the PC's Rx pair, so communication is not possible (unless the Lacie is designed with this is mind). This means that the only IP address that you see will be the one you have manually specified, ie a bogus one.

BTW, what does ipconfig report when the router is connected to your PC and the IP address is configured for automatic assignment? Do this while the NAS is disconnected. Choose "automatic" for your alternate settings as well.

lcoughey wrote:
Just admit it. You are using the old system because you cannot afford a new system because you offer your services for under $10. ;)

$10 is more than enough to keep me in dog food for a whole week. If I'm lucky enough to pick up a second job, then my dog gets to eat as well. :-)

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 0:01 

O.K. That's ridiculous...

All this time & it's just me being an idiot, I thought plugging directly into network in desktop would make it easier to connect to initialize/format!

Hopefully tonight it will be fixed once I plug it into router with all automatic & using lacie network assistant!

Thank you so much everyone, will keep you posted!

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 4:59 

Still no luck...
Ive tried the network assistant on laptop with wireless connection to router & no luck so then tried old ipconfigurator & still no luck auto or manual!

I then tried the desktop with network cabled to router & lacie connected to router with both same test as above & no luck!

attached is screeny of ip config with desktop connected to router & LaCie connected to router!

I have tried IE with address 10.1.4.4 & no luck & also the 2 adress points after the router connection?

Thanks again Grant

Attachments:
new ipconfig.jpg
new ipconfig.jpg [ 73.57 KiB | Viewed 9567 times ]

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 6:51 

gruntly69 wrote:
Still no luck...
Ive tried the network assistant on laptop with wireless connection to router & no luck so then tried old ipconfigurator & still no luck auto or manual!

I then tried the desktop with network cabled to router & lacie connected to router with both same test as above & no luck!

attached is screeny of ip config with desktop connected to router & LaCie connected to router!

I have tried IE with address 10.1.4.4 & no luck & also the 2 adress points after the router connection?

Thanks again Grant

there are tools to sniff ARP requests (freeware) and putty as well to access it
if you have NO NETWORKING EXPERIENCE this leads to dead end my friend

good luck

PostPosted: April 3rd, 2012, 8:53 

Lacies IP configurator uses a less common protocol called ARP to find an Ethernet Disk: turn off firewall in computer and be shure to stop any antivirus/firewall. If Lacie is working it should find it. If you have orig working disks- use them: start over with a working system. Once you can address Lacie you can proceed to upgrade disks.