Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Lacie Ethernet Big Disk 2TB replace HDDs

January 8th, 2009, 4:24

My lacie consists of 2 HDDs (1TB each) RAID0 XFS filesystem. Recently i tried to replace the HDDs with 2 smaller ones. When i replaced them, i was hoping that the hardware would recognizse the 2 HDDs and re-build the RAID and format to the appropriate filesystem. Unfortunately, for some reason the OS resides on disk rather on firmware hardware. I guess this is how lacie builds their products which its NOT efficient whatsoever. HDDs in general are common to malfunction and its very common something goes bad with them, especially when its RAID 0 with no redundancy whatsoever. In that case the whole hardware goes down and even if you replace the HDDs, the hardware would not startup because as i told you earlier the OS resides on the HDDs rather on hardware. I know that the OS is linux based which i donno much on it, i also found some GPL source codes from lacie's website for how to build the whole thing from scratch but i guess only these guys can understand how to do it.
Ive seen some posts over here that some of you have managed to re-build other lacie models but i guess the process is the same for all.

I still have the original 2 HDDs working fine but i still want to replace them with some smaller ones. I thought of cloning both HDDs with 2 smaller ones but im not sure if that would work. Has anyone done this and did it work? If it worked what was the procedure of cloning and what software did you use?
I know theres a software called Acronis True Image which is bootable and also can support the XFS filesystem.
But before doing anything id like to get some opinions first.

thank you

Re: Lacie Ethernet Big Disk 2TB replace HDDs

January 9th, 2009, 3:44

If you want to do yourself ask LaCIE. If no solution or no answer do some googling. Still nothing? Pay an expert. This usually works. A job like yours is likely around $/€ 100 plus VAT

January 9th, 2009, 3:53

I already contacted lacie but didnt provide me much help on this. Actually im pasting the conversation i had with lacie support here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 01 January 2009 @ 00:00
To whom it may concern. I have a problem concerning the Ethernet Big Disk (2TB). Recently I opened the chassis to remove both (1TB) HDDs and replace them with a smaller ones. Now from what I've known the configuration of disks was a RAID0 XFS file system. I placed two 500GB HDDs with the hope that the NAS hardware would create the appropriate RAID configuration and format to the appropriate file system. But it didnt! It wouldnt even recognized the HDDs, plus, i couldnt even logon to to the web management console. Im not sure what went wrong. I didnt try to put the original HDDs back on because i had already format them. Is there a way i could reset the hardware? Is there a tip you could tell me to get my NAS back working? Does it work with specific HDD models (Hitachi)/capacity? Regards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: 06 January 2009 @ 00:00
Thank you for contacting LaCie Technical Support. Unfortunately the OS is stored on the drives you took out so you need them to get the unit to work. So you can't replace the drives in the unit.
Posted: 06 January 2009 @ 00:00
ok..but as i already told you i formatted both disks. So that means the whole hardware is destroyed? how can i re-build it? is there a way to re-format the drives in that FileSystem and somehow re-install the OS? Sorry for asking you this, but, is this an efficient way to build something? I mean HDDs are common to mulfunction, so in this case the the whole hardware is destroyed? there must be a way to rebuild the whole thing. I thought that the OS was stored to a hardware memory rather on disk that way if something goes wrong with the HDDs, you just replace them.

Posted: 07 January 2009 @ 00:00
Yes formatting it wipes the OS off the drive, you might be able to reinstall the OS on the drives or the other ones you are trying to use with instructions on this page http://lacie.nas-central.org/wiki/Category:EDmini and the GPL code http://www.lacie.com/uk/support/drivers ... m?id=10099
I have never done this and we don't support how to do it, but that page I linked to is your best bet I think to get the OS back on any drives.

January 9th, 2009, 6:22

Sorry but in a few words you're asking people to teach you how to do it reading the links for you ? Or should someone do the job for you ? I don't get it.

January 9th, 2009, 8:19

That wiki is not loading for some reason at the moment.

It sounds like your "drive" is a standard embedded Linux computer. If you know how to manipulate Linux partitions, you should be able to make it work with smaller drives. If not, tell support that your firmware is corrupt. :)

Acronis TrueImage should be able to handle this - you'd resize the partitions you'd be copying from the original drive that was inside the case to a smaller drive.

If this sounds like an alien language, find a consultant familiar with resizing Linux partitions and Linuxin general.

January 9th, 2009, 8:25

no it sounds nice..actually in theory im pretty sure that acronis can handle this but i just wanted to have some opinions first before doing anything..
It would be hard to re-build the whole O/S from scratch, only lacie technicians could do that or someone else very experienced with linux.

Ill try the cloning disk method and see from there.

thanks

January 9th, 2009, 12:48

As someone that has had to recover a few of these, I can tell you:

(1) They aren't RAID-0, they are spanned.
(2) They contain the typical linux partitions for loading the O/S on Drive 0, and a giant, spanned XFS partition spanning Drive 0 and Drive 1.
(3) The only way I've been able to successfully recover the XFS data is by using the enclosure. UFS Explorer was unable to help.

The enclosures aren't especially fast, I honestly see no reason to try to put the thing back into service.

March 23rd, 2012, 21:41

I Know this is a VERY Old thread & the unit itself is old, but so am I!

I'm just trying to upgrade my LaCie 1Tb ethernet big disk A, it had 2 x 500Gb samsung hdd's in it & I have now purchased 2 of the same 2Tb samsung hdd's & did a direct dopy of the main working hdd to 1 of the samsung & then extended the storage section of that 1 to fill the 2Tb & noticed it was in a linux format with code of 083, so I made the other 2Tb complete in that same format!

But I still can't get it to recognize it through the USB drive of LaCie it only recognizes 410Mb & thats what it does for the 2x500b's now too as I stupidly formatted the 2nd complete storage drive that was in the original case to NTFS, I have since changed it back to the 083 format of Linux, but now can't get either of them recognized?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance Grant

March 24th, 2012, 4:33

houseloop

which model is it?
as far as i know from my experience this will take me 10-20min. Max. using new fresh drives.

if you know about Linux and familiar with its commands and so, let me know
if you are a newbie then better get someone to do it for u

good luck

March 24th, 2012, 4:41

forgot to mention, am an expert on Modifying NAS FW and Apache Web Server adding more options/tools to GUI UI
and since you are installing new hdd`s inside that would be even better to try.

March 24th, 2012, 9:20

It's a 2008 early model serial 114082A623, I have mist tools to write firmware program but not sure what's best for it!

Been told as well as read here best if done while connected to the device, but how is best to have it connected & what's the best software to use?

Cheers for your reply Grant

March 25th, 2012, 20:15

Now I have found out that you have to configure/initialize them in browser interface over the network & format them that way...

Now the only problem is I can't get them to connect in windows 7 network, they say ip address error that windows can't repair & when I try the manual IP V4 Settings from the manual still can't connect?

Would this be a windows7 issue or the controller on the LaCie device?

Thanks again for your time Grant

March 27th, 2012, 4:24

which model is it?

March 27th, 2012, 6:35

On the plate it has 1tb LaCie Ethernet Big Disk A with Mac address 00D04B82A623 S/n 114082A623?

Not sure what else I can say?

Cheers Grant

March 27th, 2012, 7:08

there must be a MODEL for this my dear, SN/MAC address will not help
each category has its own way

anyway

good luck

March 27th, 2012, 9:48

before you begin get the free app LaCie Network Assistant.exe - especially with windows 7! This will locate device, mount it, and allow you to set fixed ip from a simple user interface. It also bypasses need to alter registry in win 7 for unix security. good luck

March 28th, 2012, 17:47

Thanks for the replies,

Seems LaCie don't want to help as the product is too old, but will follow this up further!

I have taken photo's of the settings I have chosen(I know the flash has ruined some of the images).

But I also took the controller board out of it & has this writing on it:
LaCie Group 0601 240 Rev C EDMINI-V2

then other white writing has: 94V-0 MS-M E198407

it looks like the firmware might be on the IC20 & it has 21801 G715 writing on this.

I have tried the network assistant again as I'd already tried it, but tried again last night for another hour but still no luck!

Any further help would be appreciated!

Thanks Grant
Attachments
invalid IP address(smaller).jpg
Net Connection Details(smaller).jpg
Manual IP address(smaller).jpg
IP address Auto(smaller).jpg

March 29th, 2012, 5:03

You should be able to capture the screen contents via the PrintScreen key. That will send a screenshot to the clipboard, and you can then paste the clipboard contents into your preferred image editor/viewer (using Ctrl-V or Edit->Paste).

Have you tried typing 10.1.7.100 or 10.1.4.1 or 10.1.4.4 into the address bar in your browser?

I don't know if identifying the firmware IC would help, but the numbers "21801" and "G715" don't look useful. I suspect that "715" may be a YWW date code, ie week 15 of 2007. Could we see a detailed photo of the board?

March 29th, 2012, 8:45

Need to start at beginning setting aside cloning for the moment.....You are not communicating with the Lacie - start at the beginning. No idea what ip Lacie was on or if it is in automatic. I see you tries 3 LOCAL settings in an attempt to match it- first shot has erronious gateway and dns... or is it base ip... dont know how it WAS set up. Easiest to plug computer and lacie into router- get computer "to see internet- or be able to connect to other network devices" first. Back to Lacie Navigator- you may need to checkmark "use Legacy"- you are using latest as windows 7 didnt exist when you purchased your enclosier. With your ip set to automatic the utility fill typically discover the Lacie. It will give you its ip and if manual or automatic. There are reset procedures for Lacie to return it to defaults- suggest not altering except as last resort... it WAS working. Once working there are methods including using the built in mirror to grow your disk- once systems up! With orig mirror- remove one. Add second new drive- system errors and you can rebuild adding data to bigger drive. Rem orig. errors add new bigger blank, rebuild. VERY Clutsy but 'easy' way to migrate.

March 29th, 2012, 11:37

in most cases, those NAS as worst case scenario are set to DHCP, so u should have a router with enabled DHCP server
to know the ip address is very simple

there should be MAC address on each NAS written on sticker, and there are tools (freeware) scans your network and match the MAC address
and get u the IP this is where u should start easier n faster than guessing

good luck
Post a reply