All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tutorial: resolve 0 LBA,SEAGATE 7200.11 BIOS don't recognize
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 5:15 

Al, make at least one right thing, as seems you have time for the cause : buy at own expenses some tools like Pc3000 Udma, Salvation, Atola, HRT... Then buy a domain, and, paying attention NOT TO INFRINGE COPYRIGHTS AND PATENTS, Publish all your discoveries and all the stuff you can collect. Be sure to answer and solve EVERY PROBLEM to all the people that whine for data or can't put in practice or are simply too lazy . So you will understand that there are things called business, capitalism, economy and WORK seen from other point of view, and maybe consider that there are other reasons if things are not going the way you wish - especially here. Regards. Period.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 5:20 

I use a pen if I am in a really bad position up a mountain with no tracheotomy kit :lol:

bigal.nz wrote:
Doomer wrote:
1. If you don't know how to do tracheotomy that person is going to die and doctors will not help you over the radio because tracheotomy is usually required when a person cannot breath at all, so tracheotomy has to be done in seconds and not like after over the radio chat

Incidentially you are not correct about tracheotomy's having to be done in seconds: It can be done in the case of a person who has burns inside their throat, because after being burnt the throat will swell and close the airway - you can do a pre emptive tracheotomy before they stop breathing. You can also do it for the same reasons in the case of a anaphylaxtic event if adrenaline is not available.

I believe there is a known case of this being done at sea via radio under a doctors instructions (they had a tracheotomoy kit on the board the boat luckily) - struggling to find it in google at the moment.

It all comes down to the fact if your going to die anyway, you might as well have a go at the tracheotomy (READ: If youve lost your data anyway and cant afford DR, you might as well have a go at DIY recovery).

The take it to a Pro response some people get from people here, and who are in this situation simply is not helpful. Let them make a informed descsion knowing the risks.....if they are happy to take the risk why not help them out - in fact imagine this, the more help they have the more likely the chance of success.

Regards

-Al

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 6:54 

BlackST wrote:
Al, make at least one right thing, as seems you have time for the cause : buy at own expenses some tools like Pc3000 Udma, Salvation, Atola, HRT... Then buy a domain, and, paying attention NOT TO INFRINGE COPYRIGHTS AND PATENTS, Publish all your discoveries and all the stuff you can collect. Be sure to answer and solve EVERY PROBLEM to all the people that whine for data or can't put in practice or are simply too lazy . So you will understand that there are things called business, capitalism, economy and WORK seen from other point of view, and maybe consider that there are other reasons if things are not going the way you wish - especially here. Regards. Period.

I run my own business (not DR) and agree whole heartedly that there is a thing called business buy I dont think that any information published here is seriously going to do you or any other DR company damage.

I would absolutely be over the moon to get a PC3000 or any of those other tools, but alas for me this is a hobby, so I experiment with what I have got available.

And yes there are people that will whine, there are people who cant follow instructions and there are people who are lazy - the same can be said for any of the other forums on the internet devoted to hundreds of different topics, yet lots of information is publically shared on the other boards about how to fix things and knoweldge others have gained. They share this information freely, presumably to further the community and help out others.

I have friends who fix computers, they share information on forums, but they still run successful businesses repairing computers - despite that they share knowledge gained on the internet. In fact they still get plenty of customers coming to them - even tho in many cases the answer can be found in google. So their business does not suffer simply because the solution exists publically on the internet.

Nobody is suggesting that every problem should be able to be solved either.

You seem so adverse to sharing of information I dont understand why you participate here?

-Al

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 10:46 

bigal.nz, I think you are in a wrong business. You need to be over-the-phone-surgeon

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 11:28 

bigal.nz....are you with the salvation army? :D come on man......we cant just give everything away...use some common sense will ya? :)

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 13:07 

Although I agree with bigal.nz in general principle I must state that in many ways this forum creates more confusion than it clears up. So many disk drive failures are difficult enough to diagnose when the drive is actually in our hands that it is truly a shot in the dark when an attempted diagnosis is made based upon the questioner's spotty information. Even when the diagnosis is correct there are so many limitations to what the end user can actually accomplish on his own that it seems fruitless to offer the suggestions. Many people like to dive right into the unknown and are willing to take their chances on failure. To this group I say go for it but don't expect a high level of success and be prepared to do without the data. To those who value the data I say that they should not be lulled into a false sense of security that the solutions offered here are within their capabilities to perform. It's not just a business sales pitch to say that one must have specialized equipment to perform physical-level drive repair. For an end user to believe that they can do head swaps, firmware repair, PCB repair, ROM read/writes, platter swaps is silly and counter-productive. Although professional DR is not an inexpensive proposition, it is the only practical alternative in cases where the data is truly important. For those who have lost their downloaded music and their 12 million photos of their children it is not really- in most cases- a feasible alternative. The bottom line is that offering on-line data recovery advice is more an exercise in making us experts look smart than in really expecting anybody to glean any great benefits from its use.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 16:07 

msurgeon wrote:
Although I agree with bigal.nz in general principle I must state that in many ways this forum creates more confusion than it clears up. So many disk drive failures are difficult enough to diagnose when the drive is actually in our hands that it is truly a shot in the dark when an attempted diagnosis is made based upon the questioner's spotty information. Even when the diagnosis is correct there are so many limitations to what the end user can actually accomplish on his own that it seems fruitless to offer the suggestions. Many people like to dive right into the unknown and are willing to take their chances on failure. To this group I say go for it but don't expect a high level of success and be prepared to do without the data. To those who value the data I say that they should not be lulled into a false sense of security that the solutions offered here are within their capabilities to perform. It's not just a business sales pitch to say that one must have specialized equipment to perform physical-level drive repair. For an end user to believe that they can do head swaps, firmware repair, PCB repair, ROM read/writes, platter swaps is silly and counter-productive. Although professional DR is not an inexpensive proposition, it is the only practical alternative in cases where the data is truly important. For those who have lost their downloaded music and their 12 million photos of their children it is not really- in most cases- a feasible alternative. The bottom line is that offering on-line data recovery advice is more an exercise in making us experts look smart than in really expecting anybody to glean any great benefits from its use.

Thats pretty well put msurgeon, and a very balanced view.

I guess that thing that really gets me, is that headcrash and I guess BlackST & others are saying "we cant give everything away" - so where does that leave me, a hobbyist. I am no threat to any DR business. I have a nice soldering iron, oscilloscope, hot air gun and two computers (one of which has linux on purely so I can experiment with ddrescue). I dont have a clean box, PC3000 or any other of those tools - but I would love to learn what I can do with what ive got. If everyone here refused to give any detailed advice oth than to go to a DR expert where does that leave me?

Think about it, I do this because I enjoy it - is that so dissimilar to the likes of msurgeon & others? I assume you like your work. You had to start somewhere one day, how did you get armed with your knowledge? Did someone help you along the way?

"we cant give everything away" - but realistically without the expensive tools, even if you did give it away people still would not carry out the repairs.

In the past I have even tried to get help with MHDD, but dont even get answers to questions on that.

I do this for fun - but the experts are too "elite?" to help out the hobbyist for fear of giving away their secrets?

-Al

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 16:35 

The reason for "Not giving everything away" is that while you are a hobbyist; there are plenty of visitors to this site who are looking to begin data recovery as a profession, and are looking for instruction. It is because of this that you cannot expect Gurus to release certain information publicly on this forum. Even between posters here who seemingly get along there is a understanding that they will not share information with one another unless there is something to gain on both sides. The transfer of knowledge in this field is highly diplomatic.

Your best bet in the future is to ask if anyone would like to discuss things in private if it is stated an answer will not be given in public. It may be possible to trade knowledge for knowledge.

While this 7200.11 fix may seem easy to many technicians now but to all those technicians: What if the fix was not handed to you? Would you right now be able to fix those drives? Something that may seem trivial is far from trivial if the real work is not done for you.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 16:55 

Russwinters wrote:
The reason for "Not giving everything away" is that while you are a hobbyist; there are plenty of visitors to this site who are looking to begin data recovery as a profession, and are looking for instruction. It is because of this that you cannot expect Gurus to release certain information publicly on this forum. Even between posters here who seemingly get along there is a understanding that they will not share information with one another unless there is something to gain on both sides. The transfer of knowledge in this field is highly diplomatic.

Your best bet in the future is to ask if anyone would like to discuss things in private if it is stated an answer will not be given in public. It may be possible to trade knowledge for knowledge.

That trade is going to be pretty difficult if your a newbie - what can I possibly offer? Perhaps sometimes people can offer replies in PM?

Russwinters wrote:
While this 7200.11 fix may seem easy to many technicians now but to all those technicians: What if the fix was not handed to you? Would you right now be able to fix those drives? Something that may seem trivial is far from trivial if the real work is not done for you.

This can be said of lots of other technical forums and fixes on those forums, and even other aspects of computer repairs/forums. What makes DR think they are so different that they must maintain the secrecy of the inner sanctum?

-Al

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 16:58 

I'm certainly not against folks asking questions and looking for pointers, but if you compare to something like... law or medicine, if you show up on a forum where high-end lawyers are comparing legal issues and start asking about the basics of law practice they are probably going to suggest going to law school.

It's not a secrecy issue as much as it is a background and complexity issue. In many cases the actual action that solves the problem is relatively minor but the necessary background to understand the process and reach the conclusion of which action is required is vast. That's not something people are going to be willing or able to go through on the forum every time someone has a question.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 17:14 

Seems that the DR field is limited to the problem of seagate 7200.11 bricking problem...
I just confirm my theory : knowledge is in the mouth of too many people and in the brain of very few.
But we are made with 2 ears and 1 mouth only. Why ? Listen the double, and speak the half.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 3:55 

HeadCrash wrote:
bigal.nz....are you with the salvation army? :D come on man......we cant just give everything away...use some common sense will ya? :)

You right, things shouldnt be given away. Who was that guy who wrote MHDD and released it to the masses. Damn him, by your reasoning he should be publically flogged for this, he has given people the ability to fiddle with dangerous things that might ruin there drive and make DR that much harder for the pros.

This is your reasoning right?

-Al

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 4:00 

Who was the guy that invented rope ? I think he made more damage :D

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 5:37 

BlackST wrote:
Seems that the DR field is limited to the problem of seagate 7200.11 bricking problem...

How do you figure that?

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 6:20 

Doomer wrote:
bigal.nz, I think you are in a wrong business. You need to be over-the-phone-surgeon

When you post silly answers, I can only assume its because you have no better argument to come back with.

PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 6:22 

Russwinters wrote:

I will try that, but I suspect my debating this topic will stop anyone here from wanting to help me. I would love to buy PC3000, but I have a mortgage, kids, wife, and this is only a hobby. So I want to learn to do the best I can with what I have got, or relatively inexpensive parts I can get of ebay and the like.

-Al
PS: Nothing personal BlackST

PostPosted: July 4th, 2009, 2:51 

While you may not be able to afford tools such as PC3000 remeber one imporant thing: You in fact do not need PC3000 to perform these fixes. All pc300 does is make the process automated. All PC3000 is doing is issuing manufacturer level commands to the drive to initiate these things. It is not impossible to do these things without it; just much more difficult and time consuming. The reason for the price of the pc3000 is that the engineers took the time to do the hard part for you and make a button that will peform that function.

Regards,

PostPosted: July 4th, 2009, 11:02 

bigal.nz wrote:
When you post silly answers, I can only assume its because you have no better argument to come back with.

sure, it's because I'm stupid and you not :)
In fact I am so stupid that I don't ask questions here

PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 2:32 

Тхат ис веры фунны :О)

PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 2:59 

LOOOL...
Summing up, according to the things we see and drives coming in, people seem really 'internet smart' but definitely 'REALITY STUPID'... Again, welcome money...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next