All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 19th, 2004, 19:12 

Model : 6E040L
Code : NAR61590
Date : 31Oct2003

The drive was bought brand new and is fully functional.

A quick but precise jig was made over the weekend to:

a. loosen the screw fastening the ring plate and platter.
b. lift the platter without touching any surface ??
c. special tools were made to drop the platter in postion

Basically the platter was completely removed from the drive onto a holding device and minutes later replaced back into the same drive.

Results :

On first replacement - no recal - N40P.

Although the platter fits snugly onto seating ring there is a very small tolerance and possibility for adjustment - CENTERING.

We loosened the screw and ring plate, adjusted the platter slightly, tightened up and re-tested.

After the fourth adjustment the drive was perfect and passed all tests.

The process was repeated three times, each time removing the platter completely and after a few fine adjustments the drive was always returned to perfect state after two to four fine adjustments.

Conclusions :

With proper jigs and great care a Maxtor platter can be successfully removed and replaced for data recovery purposes.

The whole operation was conducted in a "clean" environment,
but not a class 100 clean room.

When we apply the procedure in the real situation this will only be done in a proper environment.

Note: I will not be responsible for any loss that anyone may suffer as a result of swopping platters.
This project was an experiment and should be read as such.

Thanks to Rob who built the jigs, lifters, holders and meticulously carried out all the work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2004, 5:19 

mfast wrote:
With proper jigs and great care

(Sorry for bad english again)
Cool! While in russian forum we can't see a lot of knowledge now :( some good things happening here :) Can you read/translate russian? About jigs - i have no aceess to special hardware/tools, clean room, etc :(, so i use my own hands and a lot of new clean thin plastic bags, one on one hand to take the platter but don't touch it by fingers, another to put platter on it and so on, replacing bags then needed. I know, it's a wrong way, but the cheapest one :) Then replacing platters (from dead spindel motor, for example) it's sometimes mean which heads are used - original or from new drive, people say, sometimes not native heads work bad or don't work at all.

Good luck!

из ослиного гнезда ... :) (FidoNet 2:5012/55.100)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 20th, 2004, 8:32 

Hi _ww_,

yes I do translation on-line but this can be confusing and sometimes funny.
I have russian friends who work on projects with me so the manuals and programs are done by them.

Match the native head to platter - mmmmm.... interesting.
Our experience on 541DX is success nearly every time when we have taken the platter to the new head.

We will find out if this applies to the Max 8.

As you can see all our work is carried out very slowly with the utmost care for success and step by step taking into account any information that we can get from friends.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2004, 9:49 

mfast wrote:
Hi _ww_,

yes I do translation on-line but this can be confusing and sometimes funny.
I have russian friends who work on projects with me so the manuals and programs are done by them.

Match the native head to platter - mmmmm.... interesting.
Our experience on 541DX is success nearly every time when we have taken the platter to the new head.

We will find out if this applies to the Max 8.

As you can see all our work is carried out very slowly with the utmost care for success and step by step taking into account any information that we can get from friends.

thanks

Cool :D

I always try for the same HDA level on the MAxtor's much greater chance of recovery.