Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Iomega Prestige 1TB question

June 28th, 2009, 1:54

Hello, I have an Iomega Prestige 1TB external HDD, model LDHD-UP and I was wondering if my model has an internal HDD that could be connected to the inside of my computer? I was thinking since my HDD is having a connectivity issue, where it works but it can't interface with any pc, that I could try taking out the HDD and hooking it up into my PC. So is it possible to hook it up internally instead of by USB?

Re: Iomega Prestige 1TB question

June 28th, 2009, 3:20

What if the disk inside the enclosure IS the problem?

June 28th, 2009, 6:45

How do you know if the HDD works, if you can't connect it?

June 28th, 2009, 10:07

Well the light on it turns on and it gets to it's normal warm temperature, sure it's a little quiet but it still makes a /little/ noise. Actually, I'm very perplexed by this, it was working perfectly fine the night before and then the next day, poof. I had the PC and it on for a few days and shut it down two nights ago when I went to sleep and yesterday morning it just stopped working.

June 28th, 2009, 12:12

5 minutes before died, he was alive. Yes, happens that way. Can be either the box or the disk that need to be serviced. If the disk has developed problems or is no longer working, this is the problem.

June 28th, 2009, 12:44

What's the model of the drive inside the chassis?

June 28th, 2009, 14:59

Uh, the model is LDHD-UP like I posted in the first post.

June 28th, 2009, 16:21

No its not!

The model of the DRIVE INSIDE, not the chassis, there is no HDD called "LDHD-UP".

I mean something like "ST31000333AS" (this would be a Seagate drive)

btw, sarcasm doesn't help when you're after free advice.

June 29th, 2009, 0:40

Uh, I'm sorry then. O.o Honestly, that's what it says on the outside of the external HDD for model, LDHD-UP.

June 29th, 2009, 0:43

then give a picture

June 29th, 2009, 0:59

Uh, would this help? P/N: 31758600

June 29th, 2009, 3:33

Not really, you need to open up the chassis and check the model number and/or PN on the HDD inside.

August 31st, 2010, 1:48

Yes, Goodnew the HDD does work in the normal computer as SATA II HDD and Portable Case come with iomega is un repair unable.

January 29th, 2011, 15:43

I'm having the same problem with an IOMEGA LDHD-UP 1TB EXT HD containing a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS drive. It seems that the external controller contained in the silver housing burned out; the disk is still spinning. According to the last reply, installing the Seagate drive into a desktop PC might bring the unit back to life. Is that correct?

Makes sense. I've been looking for an IOMEGA LDHD-UP unit without success, thinking that perhaps transferring the old internal unit to a new one would get it working again.

Factory repair or data recovery don't seem to be viable options, but I would like to recover the data from the unit.

Any thoughts?

KHH

January 30th, 2011, 0:42

khh0725 wrote:I'm having the same problem with an IOMEGA LDHD-UP 1TB EXT HD containing a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31000340AS drive. It seems that the external controller contained in the silver housing burned out; the disk is still spinning. According to the last reply, installing the Seagate drive into a desktop PC might bring the unit back to life. Is that correct?

Can you see the enclosure using Microsoft's UVCView?
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_ID ... ew.x86.exe

What is the firmware version of the hard drive? Some versions were affected by the BSY bug.

Installing the drive in a desktop will at least eliminate the USB-SATA bridge board as a possible culprit. It will also allow you to run a greater range of diagnostic and cloning tools.

January 30th, 2011, 8:53

Try to connect the HDD to a PC and you will see what will happen. If the HDD is OK, you will be able to work with it.

August 4th, 2011, 15:45

After removing the external controller I discovered that the internal Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HD does not have the standard HD internal EIDE connections. So that option is out. What now?

August 4th, 2011, 15:57

What connection is it? Post pic if you do not know.

August 4th, 2011, 16:16

That would be SATA rather than IDE.

Your Iomega unit is probably not the problem. If it still spins up the drive, it has most likely not "burned out".

August 4th, 2011, 16:35

Jar wrote:What connection is it? Post pic if you do not know.
The attached pictures show the HD connections. While the external description shows this to be an IOMEGA LDHD-UP 1TB HD, the internal drive shows it to be a Seagate HD Drive, Barracuda 7200.11.
Attachments
100-2729.jpg
100-2724.jpg
Post a reply