Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Unlock a WD My Passport Essential

April 27th, 2010, 4:52

Hello
For a relatively long time, I try to unlock my Western Digital drive 2.5 inchs, "WD My Passport" of 320 Go.
WD_My_Passport_Blue.JPG
WD_My_Passport_Blue.JPG (39.53 KiB) Viewed 36444 times

Software use for lock it is WD SmartWare.
MHDD run but my disk isn't recognized when my laptop boot.
Interface of the disk is USB and I don't know how plug the disk directly with it's internal interface (twelves pins).
Interface.JPG
Interface.JPG (16.83 KiB) Viewed 36444 times

Interface'.JPG
Interface'.JPG (34.94 KiB) Viewed 36444 times

Anyone know this type of interface?
Too, I thought erase all data on the drive with format him and recover data after but is it possible, secure?
Thanks

Re: Unlock a WD My Passport Essential

April 27th, 2010, 5:01

:shock: Erase the data, then format the drive, and recover the data afterwards?
nice sequence I must say...

pepe

April 27th, 2010, 5:09

Hi,

Mandatory:
1st: you " MUST " have the proper tools/SW beside experience to unlock your drive.

Optional:
2nd: Then replace your "USB" PCB with matching donor "SATA" PCB to deal with drive FW and unlock your drive.
OR
3rd: Also you can convert you "USB" PCB with some special procedures instead of changing the PCB.

One last thing : Forget this :
I thought erase all data on the drive with format him and recover data after but is it possible, secure?

Good luck

April 27th, 2010, 5:16

All this hassle and spending thousands of Euro on dedicated equipment to do this ? There are valuable members of this forum near France (nearest : Belgium)....

April 27th, 2010, 5:24

Agree with Mr.BlackST.
There are valuable members of this forum near France (nearest : Belgium)

Mr.Dobre (belgium) recommended.

April 27th, 2010, 6:04

So is the drive actually physically working ok ?
If so is it just encrypted and you cant get unencrypted access the user data
or is it locked and cant even read the encrypted sectors

These later WD drives have built-in USB interface
Not sure what the 12 pin interface is (if it provides any other interface) -- would be interesetd to know if anyone knows

April 27th, 2010, 6:09

SOme links to other posts about these drives and the encryption

April 27th, 2010, 6:09

Some links to other posts about these drives and the encryption

new-external-drive-problems-t14667.html
book-essential-t15264.html

April 27th, 2010, 6:20

Data can be encrypted but the drive should be recognised. IF the security lock is ON (either master / user pw) you get ABRT at every read LBA attempt (rejected).

April 27th, 2010, 6:45

xsoliman wrote:So is the drive actually physically working ok ?
If so is it just encrypted and you cant get unencrypted access the user data
or is it locked and cant even read the encrypted sectors

These later WD drives have built-in USB interface
Not sure what the 12 pin interface is (if it provides any other interface) -- would be interesetd to know if anyone knows

this 12 pins i has been try. but don't work. may be my knowledge no enough. but i can connect this PCB with DR pro tools for access the drive.

April 27th, 2010, 7:54

Yep, i can do this for you.
PM me if interested.

Dobre (30 km from lille)

April 27th, 2010, 8:44

xsoliman wrote:So is the drive actually physically working ok ?

Yes.
lampe8 wrote:Too, I thought erase all data on the drive with format him and recover data after but is it possible, secure?

ok this seems confusing for me as well.

In reading your posts I see that there are other ways.

unknown20010 Can you clarify:
3rd: Also you can convert you "USB" PCB with some special procedures instead of changing the PCB.

If this does not require an additional purchase I'm interested.

April 27th, 2010, 10:00

Unfortunately, this will require an additional tools after converting your USB PCB like ( PC3K UDMA or SD Doctor,.. etc).

Additionally,you will not find any details about converting your PCB to SATA interface on the whole internet. It's something like ( Ex,Ex,Ex and Ex and 3Ground) on the back side of your USB PCB. And IF we consider that you found this details and already converted the PCB.... Then what NEXT ? you still have to buy one of the above tools.

There's alot of methods to resolve your issue, but it's all beyond end-user abilities because of knowledge, experience, skills, etc.

I think Mr.Dobre has a very good reputation and will do that for you with reasonable price.

April 27th, 2010, 10:17

In a nutshell, if you want to invest 10'000$ to try to fix your disk (assuming you have the know-how, as the tools are not provided with help for your case) you can give it a try... Otherwise a simple intervention at a small cost can fix your problem.

April 27th, 2010, 10:55

For this drive, it's probable that I can open it by brute force with some thousands of passwords, but it is impossible to enter a new password after 5 wrong passwords, I need to unplug / replug to be able to enter a new password (after ~10-20 secondes).
I would like to automate the process. :)
So, Is there a relatively simple way to avoid these obligatory stops on the fifth wrong attempt ?
Or, a way to automatically turn on/off off/on power for USB under windows ?
I've searched through the Windows Device Manager (on / off controller) but no solution found with this type of disc.

April 27th, 2010, 11:00

I think Earth will die before you get the PW with bruteforce.

OK I think this thread is closed.... :S

February 22nd, 2012, 9:53

Hello lape8,

Does your HDD make a little clicking sound when you plug it in ?

@dobrevjetser : Je possède un WD My passport Essential WD qui n'est plus reconnu par mon pc mais le disque virutel (de 2 Tb) apparait dans le gestionnaire de disque. Bruit "clicking sound" quand je le branche pendant 10 seconde puis plus rien. Il apparait comme "verouiller en ecriture", as tu une expertise sur ce type de symptome ?

February 25th, 2012, 11:05

Hi, so did you manage to read the locked data?

I'm facing a similar problem (same WD drive, that accidentally locked after a bad usb connection). Drive seems to work well but I cannot read or recover any data.

Is no news good news or you gave up to get your data? or found a recovery company capable of unlocking encrypted WD drive?

February 25th, 2012, 11:32

Cycou wrote:Hi, so did you manage to read the locked data?

I'm facing a similar problem (same WD drive, that accidentally locked after a bad usb connection). Drive seems to work well but I cannot read or recover any data.

Is no news good news or you gave up to get your data? or found a recovery company capable of unlocking encrypted WD drive?
This thread is starting to get confusing......................and pretty much from the beginning.
Are we talking about:
a) unlock or b) decrypt?

For me these are two quite different problems to overcome!

March 3rd, 2012, 12:01

In my case it's a) and b) . Data is encrypted by default event if no locking password is set (my case), and the issue is that due to a bad usb cable, the drive is now locked (asking for a password, that I never sat up). So despite de drive being physically ok, I cannot access/recover/read any data.
Post a reply