All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: having truobles with seagate 7200.11 1.5T
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 13:26 

Hi all,

I have seagate 1.5 7200.11 HD which disconect itself after 10-30 seconds.
I can see the drive in the bios after I turing on the computer, I can see full detatils of it but after the second restart the HD does not recognize at all!

In the windows I can see the drive as a letter but non of the data recovery softwares could get access into the drive. I can't image the drive, I can't scan it and any data recovery software pump me a messege that "No media is connecting" (or something like that).
I successed to have a report from seatools diagonstic for dos that the hard drive is over then 70c (not true, I feel it). I tried to solve the hit problem by 2 HD coolers on each side but nothing. still the same symptom.

What else I can do, beside give it to a DR company who will charge me alot of money.
I have knowledge about data recovery and I have some tools that I built on my one. And also I succeed to recovery not a few hard drives before.

So, what can I do?

Best Regards,

Post subject: Re: having truobles with seagate 7200.11 1.5T
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 14:26 

CrazyDoctor wrote:
What else I can do, beside give it to a DR company who will charge me alot of money.

Repair it

CrazyDoctor wrote:
I have knowledge about data recovery

Ah, ehm... then why ask ?

CrazyDoctor wrote:
and I have some tools that I built on my one.

But you don't have the ultimate tools neither the "Hard Drive Spray" (and forget the formula !) :D

CrazyDoctor wrote:
I succeed to recovery not a few hard drives before.

CrazyDoctor wrote:
So, what can I do?

Million $ question. Without the million $ :(

Jokes apart, everything starts from proper, correct diagnose. If you really know how F3 work, then you can pinpoint the problem.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 17:41 

Given the history of your posts on this forum, I am concerned that this is not your drive, but rather, it belongs to a customer. If this is the case, I am somewhat concerned that you are risking your clients data with your lack of knowledge and experience. If you really do want to learn DR, I suggest you get a stock of drives and learn how they work.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 17:50 

CK wrote:
Given the history of your posts on this forum, I am concerned that this is not your drive, but rather, it belongs to a customer. If this is the case, I am somewhat concerned that you are risking your clients data with your lack of knowledge and experience. If you really do want to learn DR, I suggest you get a stock of drives and learn how they work.

Totally agree with you on this :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 18:24 

BlackST wrote:
But you don't have the ultimate tools neither the "Hard Drive Spray" (and forget the formula !) :D

That spray is expensive those days :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 19:21 

Hi BlackST,

Why do I feel that you have something against me? correct me if I wrong.

For all the others who post a replt but without any usefull information, what do you have guys?!
What do you care if that hard drive is customer's?
Is it a reason not to help me? and if it was mine so you do help??

Every time when I post here a a new topic you disappointe me. I never got here a reall answer beside "I hope this is not a customer's drive" and "reaserch yourself".
Probably I didn't get the point of this forum so please make it clear.

Thanks!

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 21:11 

Hi, I am no expert, and am trying to learn. This is no attack on you but to explain. Many times others have worked on hard drives with limited knowledge, made things worse for repair that could have been easy fix. There are some who do not put some effort to find the answer that may already be here. If someone says I searched found this answer but dont understand, the response may be more positive.

I think some dont realize that this forum is a bit different from your post and get help sites. Data recovery take some serious skills and tools, which I am painfully learning. More damage will occur if tried by one who has not learned. That is why some will say send to pro. These ones who suggest that will usually help if it is feasible.

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 21:45 

CrazyDoctor wrote:

If you showed up on a medical forum and said "Hey I'm trying to remove my patient's appendix, someone tell me what to do" what would you expect them to say?

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 2:24 

Quote :

Hi BlackST,

You're wrong.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 6:30 

CrazyDoctor wrote:

If this drive DOES belong to a customer, and you are offering a data recovery service, you are misleading your customers and misrepresenting your skills.

I have seen too many DIY jobs that have rendered data unrecoverable from guys who think they can experiment on a customer drive.

If this is not your drive, I suggest you stop what you are attempting NOW and find a professional who can help you. As I said, if you are trying to learn, do it with your own drives and don't risk others' data.

You may think I am attacking you, but I'm trying to prevent you getting into a situation where you have damaged a drive through your inexperience, which might leave you in a situation where you could be exposed to legal action if a customer drive is damaged by you.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 7:39 

BlackST wrote:
Quote :

Hi BlackST,

You're wrong.

O.K, I am happy to know that.

drc wrote:
CrazyDoctor wrote:

If you showed up on a medical forum and said "Hey I'm trying to remove my patient's appendix, someone tell me what to do" what would you expect them to say?

Hi drc,
Please don't compare between the two.
There is a huge different between someone life and someone hard drive.

Do you have any books to recommend me dor data recovery?

and for my hard drive, do you have any suggestions (beside leave it to a pro and to stop what I am doing)?

Regards,

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 8:35 

No book will give you details about drive internal structure, commands etc.
All the "available" info is limited to physical interface (common to every drive) and something discovered and "disclosed".
Don't believe me ? Go to WD forum or Seagate Forum or other forums. All you get is copy/paste , often unchecked info, or the same TVS stuff or mostly useless info when drives are seriously damaged. Youtube maybe ? Good luck.
Even if you buy the industry standard expensive diagnostic tools , don't expect to be spoon fed by anyone : this is the reason why some services are expensive.

In a nutshell you have three options :

1) trade info for info
2) pay for info
3) discover yourself how things work

Maybe only option #3 is feasible.

For "your" hard drive (in this case I mean the drive in YOUR hands) you have to pinpoint the problem first, but I don't think you'll get any help here.
No, simple TTL adapter is not enough. And the two things you know about two common problems for 7200.11 do not apply.
Suggestion : if you are getting drives for recovery, do only the things you can do (possibly without asking) and be smart : do not refuse the job but outsource : it will be a win-win-win situation : you win, customer wins, the outsourcer wins because he / she work.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 9:11 

CrazyDoctor wrote:
drc wrote:
CrazyDoctor wrote:

Hi drc,

Certainly, but the principle still applies.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 9:35 

Hi BlackST,

Thanks for made the things clear.

I am really consider the option of buying Atola Imager or deepspar.
Which my tendency to Atola Imager (because of the almost 2,000$ difference).
Do you think it is a wise purchase?

Meanwhile I got a small buisness of data recovery and tell you what, most of the cases I do success to recover the data.
But for now I have only tools that I built on my own.

I am not from Italy so I won't compete you in anyway :wink:

How you suggest me to continue and move on?

Regards,

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 10:30 

It's not that we don't like competition, it's that the data recovery industry as a whole already has a semi-bad reputation thanks to fly-by-night operations that claim to be able to recover data and then either fail and destroy the drive in question or outright scam people into paying lots of money for no product.

For every new guy that pops up charging people for not knowing what he is doing, we have to spend that much more time on the phone reassuring our customers that we are legitimate... time that would be better spent doing actual work.

Also, I'm not sure why you (or anyone) are surprised that some people take offense to you trying to make money off of coming here and asking other people to tell you for free how to do the work.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 11:19 

Atola imager or DDI or everything else are not magic wands : if the drive is not responding or dead or has a bad head, nothing can revive it except intervention.
You can use imaging tools only if you have at least respondig / working drive (even poorly) , but when you have serious problems, you need to fix it to get data.

If you are thinking having in mind only $$$ , forget it and do something else. Cash is a consequence , not a premise in this field.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 12:26 

Quote:
Hi drc,

Actually there isn't. In many cases a hard drive can hold the key to saving many lives, not just one. Media Exploitation jobs in government intelligence agencies do exactly this. You may never be asked to retrieve data recovered from a terrorist cell in the hopes of discovering and stopping their next target, but you should approach every data recovery with the same purpose of mind.

You have to actually want to do data recovery, not just do it because you think you can make some quick $$$. It's a tough economy and people have to do what they can to survive, but this is one of those areas where you can do more harm than good if you aren't careful.

There is a lot of disdain on these forums for pc repair technicians who slap the "data recovery" label on their menu of services because (as has been previously stated), they give the professionals in the field a bad name. The consumer doesn't know and doesn't care to know the difference. As far as they are concerned their "computer" is "broken" and the guy who fixed it the last time should be able to fix it again. They don't want to hear that it may cost anywhere from 1K-3.5K+ USD to repair.. Certainly someone out there can do it for cheaper.. So they jump on Craigslist, find a guy who offers to do it for $49, and no recovery, no fee! What a deal! Nevermind that the entire financials for his business are on the hard drive... The "Data recovery guy" gets the drive, and the first thing he does is run scandisk, or SpinRite.. and if that wasn't bad enough, halfway through the scan, the drive dies for good.. and now it's even more work once the owner decides that it is time to call in the high priced companies..

I would agree with the idea that you develop a partnership with one or more qualified DR professionals and strive for the win/win. You can develop your word of mouth reputation for being successful and no one has to know about the "man behind the curtain". Odds are good that if you find the right individual to partner with, you can learn from him/her, but mentorship in this industry always comes at a price.. be it $$, information trading, or whatever else is desired.

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 13:00 

Ya know what guys.......I've realised we are probably wasting our time with good advice, as it is falling on deaf ears. Guys like this will always be there, ruining drives and making DR more expensive in the long run after they f**k with the drive.

Agree with DRC, we spent WAYYYY to much time on the phone convincing people we have the right facilities - and customers are always welcome to visit and see for themselves - it's the only way to differentiate from the cowboys. YEEEEEEEE HAWWWWWW :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 13:35 

OOOH... what do you have against COWBOYS ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 13:38 

only the bad ones!! 8)