All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 15:29 

No answer...

Someone in the Netherlands to recommend ?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 15:54 

Spildit wrote:
Kitkat007 wrote:
No answer...

Someone in the Netherlands to recommend ?

If you can't find someone on the Netherlands just ship it to other country.

DIY is out of the questions ?

I just need a way to find the D+ and D-

How do people known for sure ?

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2013, 20:10 

@Kitkat007,

Kitkat007 wrote:

I don't understand why you asking about this now. Earlier you said "I read the whole topic and tried to solder the 4 cables (black,red,green,white)." So therefore you must have decided that you already knew where to solder the cables - but now you are asking where to solder them... :shock:

As long as you don't bypass the USB bridge (i.e. as long as you don't attempt a SATA connection), then the encryption isn't a problem (that is done by the on-board USB-SATA bridge which you would still be using, if you are attempting to add a temporary replacement "flying lead" USB connector).

Everything depends on the details of exactly what you have already done, whether you attempted to add a temporary SATA or a temporary USB connection (but you haven't supplied a photo showing the wires which you have added - can you attach a photo showing what you've done?), and why you are still taking the risks of DIY and perhaps making any later professional recovery harder / more expensive, even when you "really need the pictures". :(

As Spildit said, I don't see being in a different country as a reason not to contact dobrevjetser. Personally, if I was visiting the Netherlands and needed data recovery of important files, I would have contacted him (and the local UPS / DHL shipping point) without any hesitation. Of course it's your choice what risks you want to take. Good luck with whatever you decide.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 13:49 

Vulcan wrote:
@Kitkat007,

Kitkat007 wrote:

I don't understand why you asking about this now. Earlier you said "I read the whole topic and tried to solder the 4 cables (black,red,green,white)." So therefore you must have decided that you already knew where to solder the cables - but now you are asking where to solder them... :shock:

As long as you don't bypass the USB bridge (i.e. as long as you don't attempt a SATA connection), then the encryption isn't a problem (that is done by the on-board USB-SATA bridge which you would still be using, if you are attempting to add a temporary replacement "flying lead" USB connector).

Everything depends on the details of exactly what you have already done, whether you attempted to add a temporary SATA or a temporary USB connection (but you haven't supplied a photo showing the wires which you have added - can you attach a photo showing what you've done?), and why you are still taking the risks of DIY and perhaps making any later professional recovery harder / more expensive, even when you "really need the pictures". :(

As Spildit said, I don't see being in a different country as a reason not to contact dobrevjetser. Personally, if I was visiting the Netherlands and needed data recovery of important files, I would have contacted him (and the local UPS / DHL shipping point) without any hesitation. Of course it's your choice what risks you want to take. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I found D+ and D- place with a multimeter. It didnt work.. I took out the pcb to check and end up returning it... Now the harddrive starts to click... :S

10 clicks then silent..
20 clicks again then the led flashes like its reading..

USB is recognized as a device but not in My PC..

It needs to be initialized (choose MBR) then i get an error "cannot initialize write protected"

I think its over right ?

I fear the worst, this is the click of death right :shock:

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:10 

if it clicks then -> no DIY will assist you here, specially with this type

anymore retries will make it worse.

unless your data are not important and this is for fun.

good luck

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:17 

einstein9 wrote:
if it clicks then -> no DIY will assist you here, specially with this type

anymore retries will make it worse.

unless your data are not important and this is for fun.

good luck

How can this be, i dont get it...its never dropped or something like that...

And can you explain this... When i loosen up the screws of the pcb it still makes a connection with the pc but i dont get the clicking sound anymore (but still the same problem)

How much will it cost to get the data professionaly ?

Last edited by Kitkat007 on March 26th, 2013, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:22 

why ask me here :wink:

contact dobrevjetser (in your area) he is the one who Quotes not me... ( i know him very well, and sure can assist you here)
and depends on how bad is it for sure.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:29 

einstein9 wrote:
why ask me here :wink:

contact dobrevjetser (in your area) he is the one who Quotes not me... ( i know him very well, and sure can assist you here)
and depends on how bad is it for sure.

Can you explain this... When i loosen up the screws of the pcb it still makes a connection with the pc but i dont get the clicking sound anymore (but still the same problem with NO MBA and stops spinning )

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:37 

@Kitkat007,

Based on the series of events that you describe, it may not be the usual cause of the heads clicking. If my hypothesis is correct then, as a minimum, you'd need to spend some money (and that may or may not be a complete waste) just to get back to the stage of possibly being able to try any further DIY - which I doubt would be successful for you anyway. If, however, my hypothesis is wrong and you have the usual cause of the heads clicking, then it's over for (sensible) DIY completely (as einstein9 said).

Earlier I recommended a DR professional, but you chose not to use that suggestion. I asked you why you were taking the risks of DIY, since you "really needed the photos", but you didn't answer. :( You decided to take the risks of DIY in this case, you didn't succeed and, unfortunately any professional recovery would likely now be more expensive (if recovery is possible at all). :(

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 14:42 

Vulcan wrote:
@Kitkat007,

Based on the series of events that you describe, it may not be the usual cause of the heads clicking. If my hypothesis is correct then, as a minimum, you'd need to spend some money (and that may or may not be a complete waste) just to get back to the stage of possibly being able to try any further DIY - which I doubt would be successful for you anyway. If, however, my hypothesis is wrong and you have the usual cause of the heads clicking, then it's over for (sensible) DIY completely (as einstein9 said).

Earlier I recommended a DR professional, but you chose not to use that suggestion. I asked you why you were taking the risks of DIY, since you "really needed the photos", but you didn't answer. :( You decided to take the risks of DIY in this case, you didn't succeed and, unfortunately any professional recovery would likely now be more expensive (if recovery is possible at all). :(

I thought it was an easy fix because of the same problems like the guys had before in this topic (usb) and pro fixing a hard drive is always minimum 900 dollars...

Any suggestion now ?

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 15:21 

Kitkat007 wrote:
I thought it was an easy fix because of the same problems like the guys had before in this topic (usb)

Similar symptoms can have different causes, so you should not assume that you had "the same" problem as other people. This is why troubleshooting is necessary to try to identify the cause in each specific case, but there are obviously limits about what troubleshooting is reasonable / possible via a web forum, and there are risks with any DIY (including troubleshooting).

Kitkat007 wrote:
pro fixing a hard drive is always minimum 900 dollars...

That is not my experience. Since you didn't send the drive to the professional who I recommended, in order to get a quote, we'll never know what his price would have been for your specific drive, before things got worse. :(

Kitkat007 wrote:
Any suggestion now ?

You chose not to follow my earlier suggestions and not to supply requested info, so I don't think you like my suggestions. ;) Anyway, with the drive clicking, there is nothing more you can sensibly do on your own. I don't understand the full details of your recent comments about unscrewing the PCB (it did not translate well into clear English), nor how you can know some of the things which you state (e.g. how do you know that the PCB is still making all the necessary connections when it is unscrewed?) - but if the drive is clicking when the PCB is correctly attached, then it seems you have broken something which IMHO you won't be able to fix on your own.

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 15:58 

Vulcan wrote:
Kitkat007 wrote:
I thought it was an easy fix because of the same problems like the guys had before in this topic (usb)

Similar symptoms can have different causes, so you should not assume that you had "the same" problem as other people. This is why troubleshooting is necessary to try to identify the cause in each specific case, but there are obviously limits about what troubleshooting is reasonable / possible via a web forum, and there are risks with any DIY (including troubleshooting).

Kitkat007 wrote:
pro fixing a hard drive is always minimum 900 dollars...

That is not my experience. Since you didn't send the drive to the professional who I recommended, in order to get a quote, we'll never know what his price would have been for your specific drive, before things got worse. :(

Kitkat007 wrote:
Any suggestion now ?

You chose not to follow my earlier suggestions and not to supply requested info, so I don't think you like my suggestions. ;) Anyway, with the drive clicking, there is nothing more you can sensibly do on your own. I don't understand the full details of your recent comments about unscrewing the PCB (it did not translate well into clear English), nor how you can know some of the things which you state (e.g. how do you know that the PCB is still making all the necessary connections when it is unscrewed?) - but if the drive is clicking when the PCB is correctly attached, then it seems you have broken something which IMHO you won't be able to fix on your own.

The screws that hold the PCB in place if i untighten them a little bit, the clicking noise is gone.
I still have a connection to the pc, i can see the harddrive in management but the harddisk is not spinning any more and its not intialized. (same symptoms when the drive is clicking) So i cant get to my data...

Can this be a faulty pcb or just head faulty..

PostPosted: March 29th, 2013, 18:43 

Anyone that has an offer for me can pm me :)

I don't know if this is against the rules.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2013, 14:52 

@garymon and igor.ca I just did the welding of the wire on my drive since one my mini usb connector was broke. The drive is recognized in administration tool (but write protected and not alocated), I have Element 1023 in Device and Printers but I didnt have any letter in My Computer, I cannot recover my data. Did you get one when you have connected your drive? How did you recover your data?

Regards

Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV- 11TK7S1
PostPosted: May 29th, 2013, 10:05 

Hi Guys, i have a Re: WD10TMVV- 11TK7S1 1TB 2.5" Hard Drive, it stopped working because of the following

At one point i fogot the USB Cable at work, was at home and needed to access the HD, so i removed it from the case, and realized that there was 12 Pins, instead of 24, so i have a HDD IDE connector, i tried to use it to power the HDD, all i did was just connect the 12 pins to the IDE connector, powered by a PC, the Hard Drive did spin, and the lite was on, but the pc could not recognize it, so i put it back, the following day at work i tried to use the correct USB cable, HDD is powering up, light is on, it starts by blinking 5 Times, then stopped, then it is forever on, at time it will keep on blinking for ever, i have not removed the PCB yet, after few months i connected the drive again after reinstalling my PC, PC gave error saying Drivers for the drive was not installed successfully, and said i should contact the manufacture for assistance, i removed it and tried to plug it again, this time no error, drive spins fine with no clicking sound, at times the light stays on, if i change the ports, the light blinks non stop

So i have read all pages of this threat, and saw some has similar issue as mine, but i cant determine if i will have to replace the entire PCB or if the solution of connecting the USB cable directly will work, so may someone please share the lght on what the actual issue can be, it is the USB connector being damaged by the IDE adapter connector, or is it something else

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 4:39 

Hi.

May you tell me the password of HDD.RAR ?
Thank you in advance.

WBR, Serg.

PostPosted: June 18th, 2013, 13:48 

Hello guys,

I have same problem too, well problem with usb micro connector. I have WD Elements SE 1TB. I worked well, but one day I connected it into PC, and it did not recognize. It's only unrecognized and unknown in Storage Management. HDD does spin. So I think that USB is damaged. I read in this and other topic on this forum about my HDD, and Some guys solved this problem, that he conected USB cable, I mean wires directly on PCB.

My friend is able to make it. But We're not sure where excatly connect the USB wires. Can somebody help, please?

This is my PCB

This is by PCB Image

Here is original size of the PCB picture
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/gmqf.jpg/

Thank you in advance

PostPosted: June 19th, 2013, 20:48 

@Ponteral, if your friend can solder, then it would be far easier to reattach the USB connector.

Otherwise you would need to wire a SATA data connector to E71/72/73/75, and supply external power to +5V and Ground on the PCB. Also remove the 4 capacitors between the bridge IC and MCU.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2013, 15:48 

Hi,

Thank you for help. I decided to send it into datarecovery company. I have very important files on it, so I didn't wanna risk to loose it. But anyway, thank you.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 16:51 

Sorry to disturb you on that: did it work after soldering? I have same identical board and I absolutely need to get my data back. When i plug the drive on a USB port it starts to spin (like normal), led is blinking but drive is not recognized. If you tell me that it works with the soldering of the cutted USB cable on the board I will try that.

Thanks a lot

Mattia

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next