All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: WD10TMVV
PostPosted: August 6th, 2013, 18:17 

loki wrote:
garymon wrote:
Well i would just like to say thank you to Franc and ciccillover. You have helped me tremendously. I've learned a lot and with persistence and determination for 1 week, I'm happy to finally say that i was able to recover my irreplaceable data!!!!!

Just to recap. The issue as i suspected from the beginning was a faulty USB connector to the main board. The main symptom was that the drive would never mount (only once, with a bit of force) however the drive would get power and spin up and it didn't sound as if it had any internal issues. I ended up removing the mini-USB connector from the main board (thinking i would solder the USB cables in the same spot, bad idea) then attempted to locate the USB pins on the back of the PCB myself. With the help of ciccillover i was able to know for sure the 5+ volt and GND pins. As for the D+ and D-, i had to search for them myself with a bit of trial and error, I found them with a bit of luck!

I've attatched an image of my PCB (WD1T0MVV-11A27S2, 2060-701675-001 REV P1), which is a 1TB Western Digital Passport SE. If anyone has this exact drive model the pins i marked should work for you. Thankfully i was able to go this route since this PCB has an encryption chip on it. It would have been a complete nightmare or almost impossible trying to replace the PCB due to this!

Anyway, i'll recommend to everyone else to bypass the USB connector by going directly to the main board, before attempting a PCB replacement or converting to an SATA drive, if you suspect a faulty USB connector, as it seems this is the majority of everyone's issue.

Last but not least, this is the last time i will purchase one of these good for nothing drives! I highly advise everyone else to avoid these things, you could be in a very unfortunate situation where you risk losing a lot of important, meaningful data. I can't wait to go smash this thing with a hammer!!

Thanks again guys!!

I have just been testing the same idea with the WD Passport Essentials USB3 500Gb & 1Tb 2060-771761-001 REV A

Attachment:
image.jpeg

To find the pcb connections I just cut the usb end off the cable that goes to the pc & then plugged it in to the usb drive & tested continuity from the usb wires which i stripped to the connections points on the pcb.

Red = 5v
Black = Ground
Green = D+
White = D-

Just got to practice soldering the little buggers :lol:

Loki

Sorry to disturb you on that: did it work after soldering? I have same identical board and I absolutely need to get my data back. When i plug the drive on a USB port it starts to spin (like normal), led is blinking but drive is not recognized. If you tell me that it works with the soldering of the cutted USB cable on the board I will try that.

Thanks a lot

Mattia

PostPosted: October 19th, 2013, 12:57 

Hello, I have a WD10TMVV-11TK7S1 1TB which I formated to work on a mac. It is no longer recognized by a mac or PC computer, but shows up with my windows PC disk manager as 2048 Gb. It was never dropped, but has traveled. I am interested in recovering the data, which is a lot of edtited video (I have the original unedited footage saved). I read through this 15 page thread, and before I make a move, I would just like to post a clip of how it sounds, see if anyone recognizes the problem. Is this 'clicking'? and does that then signify head failure or another symptom?

http://youtu.be/yHahUuECkQ0

here are photos
https://plus.google.com/photos/107688390986888227158/albums/5936509940626812913?authkey=CKPC2IWljd-7Pw

Thanks!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2014, 18:51 

Salut & Servus gurus,

My drive is a wd10tmvv-11tk7s1 HDD.
I have created an acc. and writh this Post reply because i want to thx all of you guys for postin expirience an informations and to help more ppl.
The Drive was buyed in France and had a Initio Chip.

symptoms:
- I/o error in Linux (Testdisk, ddrescue ex... )
- Windows ask to initiate Drive, no partiotion visible.
- The drive spins and i could hear the heads moving.
- Drive selftest passed and no Problems in SMART. Strange but True.

Repair:
- Cut off a Sata Cable and solder the 4 wire to the points as describe [ E71 E72 E73 E75 ] + solder 1 ground wire.
- Remove the 4 PCB things on the other side of the PCB (Resistor ?)
- Power the disk via USB with only the power wire on one USB port ( dual Y USB Cable)
- Copie with ddrescue ( sudo ddrescue --force -n /dev/sda /dev/sdb rescue.log )

I have Tested the drive with Testdisk. I right now copy the Data with ddrescue.
If someone whant some picture, feal free to ask.

Greetz

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 13:58 

Hello & Servus Maxime,
I have connected my WD10TMVV - 11TK7S1 like to see in your description.
Could you please send me a mail to get in touch with you?

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 20:08 

rol3001 wrote:
Hello & Servus Maxime,
I have connected my WD10TMVV - 11TK7S1 like to see in your description.
Could you please send me a mail to get in touch with you?

Please Enter your E-mail adress in your Profile.
I have updated my adress in my Profile.
Thank you!

PostPosted: August 7th, 2014, 17:29 

i have a WD myPassport with this drive - WD10TMVV

i dont know if it was dropped (kids around) or just died. connecting to pc (usb2 or usb3 port) the LED lights solid (never blinks) & i cant feel or hear the drive spin up. device manager, connected devices, usb devices, disk management gives no indication of the drive, using a known good usb3 cable for my toshiba Canvio drive which works fine.
Attachment:
USB3-Micro-3FT.jpg
USB3-Micro-3FT.jpg [ 26.83 KiB | Viewed 14648 times ]

it's a few years old & now being used as a 2nd backup, so no data is at risk. i'd like to try to get the drive working again. with these symptoms, is it possible that USB connections have failed that i can resolder or rewire? are there other things i can try or test to help diagnosis?

i'd appreciate some feedback before i start trying to trace & repair the usb connections or hardwire a new cable in place (as i saw in 1 pic above)

PostPosted: August 8th, 2014, 5:11 

Hello blah7,

probably is problem with hard drive not with USB connector.
Could you check what is detected in device manager

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 19:43 

Quote:
what is detected in device manager
as i said - device manager, connected devices, usb devices, disk management gives no indication of the drive i dont even get an "unrecognized usb device" warning.

expanding on what device mgr doesnt show - 2 generic usb hubs & 2 usb root hubs do not show any change in devices, ports available, or power draw when the drive is connected & lights up (which obviously is some kind of power draw).

is it simply a dead (or not worth repairing) HD? thanks again for any ideas

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 5:50 

WD 10TMVV-11TK7S1, due to PCB failure I replaced it with a donor PCB with same part number(which used to recover another HDD by bypassing USB & wired SATA connector, worked fine in that case) and transplanted U12. The problem is, windows 7 detects the drive correctly , visible the drive without contents in "Computer", after 2 minutes drive disappears from device manager(we can hear a single click at that time). If we disconnected and reconnected the scenario continues. Please help me. Thanks in advance.

Sorry to post it again here..because I got little response in my new topic...

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2015, 7:02 

Anybody from India with PC 3000 or such tool to recover my drive? Pls PM me..

PostPosted: May 5th, 2015, 12:06 

tobyinbox wrote:

Well,
Feel Free to ask

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: May 5th, 2015, 14:51 

tobyinbox wrote:

Probably more than a PCB problem, suggest you contact Amarbir

New!! HDD-PCB.COM for all your PCB and donor HDD requirements!

PostPosted: May 5th, 2015, 15:17 

If you're intent on DIY and not willing to spend money on pro recovery, I'd recommend you use this PCB guide to find out which SATA board you need instead of using a soldered on one. Then see if you can clone using ddrescue according to this guide. If you can't clone it then, it's going to require pro tools.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2015, 22:01 

data-medics wrote:
If you're intent on DIY and not willing to spend money on pro recovery, I'd recommend you use this PCB guide to find out which SATA board you need instead of using a soldered on one. Then see if you can clone using ddrescue according to this guide. If you can't clone it then, it's going to require pro tools.

Sir ,
In India Data Recovery Is Done With Pathetic Pricing .I Do Not Think He Will Feel The Pinch At All Lol :mrgreen:

Website-> http://www.chandigarhdatarecovery.com

PostPosted: February 24th, 2023, 10:53 

Bobross2000 wrote:
Hello, I have a WD10TMVV-11TK7S1 1TB which I formated to work on a mac. It is no longer recognized by a mac or PC computer, but shows up with my windows PC disk manager as 2048 Gb. It was never dropped, but has traveled. I am interested in recovering the data, which is a lot of edtited video (I have the original unedited footage saved). I read through this 15 page thread, and before I make a move, I would just like to post a clip of how it sounds, see if anyone recognizes the problem. Is this 'clicking'? and does that then signify head failure or another symptom?

http://youtu.be/yHahUuECkQ0

here are photos
https://plus.google.com/photos/107688390986888227158/albums/5936509940626812913?authkey=CKPC2IWljd-7Pw

Thanks!

why is the video and the other plus link not available? thx
anyone have a copy thx?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 295 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15