Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Hitachi Travelstar 1.8" dropped

July 14th, 2010, 13:15

Hello Gurus

I have recieved a Hitachi travelstar 1.8" 30.01GB HDD tha was used in a camcorder. The person dropped it and diaplayed no hdd message.

I removed the hdd and used datacompas and ZIF 2 IDE and deeply hoped it would spin up.

On power up it makes short very low noises- as if it should spin up but stops and tries again. It does not spin up.

Any tips on what i could try to temporarily revive the drive and copy the data off it? From experience, is a seized motor or stuck head.I have no experience with these babies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :?:

Re: Hitachi Travelstar 1.8" dropped

July 14th, 2010, 13:52

Put your ear on the drive on power up. Do you here the spindle spin up? Do the heads seek? Does it "thunk" or "click"?

July 14th, 2010, 14:23

If you have no experience with them you should not try to work on it yourself

July 14th, 2010, 14:26

I used a stethoscope to listen and the drive does not spin up- i got a very faint recording.download the file and listen.

Oh i have experience working on HDD's - head changes, pcb fault detection, smd repair and all that. just never had a 1.8 inch do this before
Attachments
hitachi.zip
(12.12 KiB) Downloaded 396 times

July 14th, 2010, 14:29

ur spindle is siezed looks like. Or the heads are griping the platter surface.
Have to open up the drive to determine this. They are not very scary ones when it comes to head swaps , did several of em with no real problems. However never had to swap the platters on em.

Listened to ur sound... Surprised me... Sounds like calibration to me rather then spindle. But no spin is a dead giveaway i guess.

July 14th, 2010, 15:03

Just realised i dont have the right heads to open this drive too. Time to go shopping again. I hope its not a seized spindle. Unless some body in UK can offer a side repair for me. PM please.
Post a reply