All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bad sector in the first sector - Seagate Baracuda 7200.7
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 8:36 

Hi All,

Is there any body could help me to fix or to cut the bad sector in of my Baracuda7200.7 Model ST340014A?

The reason, when I execute MHDD - Scan, it found the first sector is bad, while all other sectors are exelence.

Therefore, I need to fix the first sector in order I could use the hard drive for my system.

I look forward your advise.

Thanks and regards,
Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 8:42 

Remap ON.

Post subject: Re: Bad sector in the first sector - Seagate Baracuda 7200.
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 9:18 

Peters wrote:
Hi All,

Is there any body could help me to fix or to cut the bad sector in of my Baracuda7200.7 Model ST340014A?

The reason, when I execute MHDD - Scan, it found the first sector is bad, while all other sectors are exelence.

Therefore, I need to fix the first sector in order I could use the hard drive for my system.

Well, is it your drive? Do you need data from that drive?

If data not need, you can try erase drive (not quick erase, but slow one), if erase hung at any starting place, you drive ( firmware 3.06 ;) ) can't write and can be send to bin

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 11:26 

If you need the data, try to recover the sector using HDD Regenerator. Pretty good software, believe me. I've saved a server disk and a few more ones with it.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2005, 12:16 

Daniel Ferreira wrote:
If you need the data, try to recover the sector using HDD Regenerator. Pretty good software, believe me. I've saved a server disk and a few more ones with it.

THIS IS VERY BAD IDEA. DATA MUST BE RECOVERED BEFORE TRYING REPAIR BADS

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2005, 4:54 

Yes, but I don't remember Peters emphasizing the data recovery. And why do I feel that if he had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for a data recovery service, he wouldn't be posting here?

I suppose Monrepos understood things the same way, or else he wouldn't suggest remap on.

But only Peters know if I'm wrong. If I am, than I ask for apologize.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2005, 5:39 

Daniel Ferreira wrote:
I suppose Monrepos understood things the same way, or else he wouldn't suggest remap on.
Yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2005, 10:10 

Daniel Ferreira wrote:
Yes, but I don't remember Peters emphasizing the data recovery. And why do I feel that if he had the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to pay for a data recovery service, he wouldn't be posting here?

Just read you aswer, did i need quote it again??? Well...

Daniel Ferreira wrote:

All i did is just comment you answer in which you recommend repair to save data, isn't it? Did i need to continue?

About repair: i have more then 50 Baracuda 7200.7 Model ST340014A fw 3.06 which usually have few bads in first LBA's, but such drives have trouble with write data so they can't be repaired...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2005, 13:02 

I am so scared that I've just pissed my pants.

But thanks for the last paragraph.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2005, 6:23 

The years comes and goes na I just can see same drill.
Waste of time......

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2005, 10:11 

In my daily work with computers, I have to do a lot of research in the Internet on many subjects such as networking, applications, HDD’s, printers, optical drives, viruses, motherboards, operating systems and so on.

Sometimes I came across forums, where I find people with much more experience and able to help me, sometimes I help other people with less experience. Sometimes the newbie post the right solution, sometimes the experienced user post the wrong one. Sometimes I came across a mistake and if I have the time I correct it. The same way, someone will find some of my mistakes and will correct them. I appreciate that. And if I have the opportunity, I ask for apologize. Simple as that.

But not in this forum and the previous MHDD one, which are unique by its nature: here, self-called and self-promoted “experts” (whatever this stupid word means), who seem to know nothing more than driverepair-driverepair-driverepair-driverepair-and-driverepair – big fucking deal... – are always watching for an opportunity, not to discuss drive repair subjects, but to say that they know but they won’t tell us, and that they had a hard time learning, and that they expend so much money (want a dime?). And its so easy to insult people while hiding behind a nickname, isn't it?

Like Cenahum (who is hiding behind?), who sometimes visit this site to post a bunch of messages which could easily fit in a group therapy forum but are hardly related to HDD repair. Are we wasting his time? Go figger.

But one of these days he will understand – as he did a few months ago – that there is no therapist around here – as there was not in the previous MHDD forum – and he will run away – as he did before – crying and complaining about us, poor mortals, who can’t see the light. Who cares?

To Peters: I’m sorry for all this crap. I hope you have your disk back by this time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2005, 13:01 

time comes time goes, and now with a difference one portuguese guy.
I did not remember that I already talk to you, and i realy do not want.
Do one favor to yourself look to you business an let me out of your coments. I think that this will be better for us. But if you do not want .... will be your choice......
About who is me and what I'm is not to you concern.
Do not say ofenses and do not send msgs to me.
I do not want.
You just arrived here yesterday , so do not try to tell us what you do not have a clu.
This you can tell to people that does not know nothing , just write what you want and read to see if you fell like an expert.
In my case I even said here one time at least, that I knew this ot that I new that. I just do some coments. And if you do not like is your problem.
I do not rember you at 5 years ago, so do tell me what you can not do.
Do not stay between me and the sun and ask me what I need or want, because you have no right to take from me what you are not able to give me.
And now, just give a break.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2005, 18:50 

Hi all,

It is hard to stay silent. But I definitely will :)

pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 1:10 

The same squabbles, as always... Sadly all it... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 2:41 

Out of 15 or so forums I'm currently members of (automotive data diagnostics through IT) I find this the most aggressive. I do not understand why, but unfortunately it's the members that make the forum!

On my first post I was greeted with similar (and maybe misinterpreted) harshness, however out of my desire to learn about HDD repair I find myself still here.... maybe some of us keen newbies with be accepted after a while?

Lea

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 4:43 

What the hell... You just don't know when to stop, do you?

>The years comes and goes na I just can see same drill.
>Waste of time......

>I did not remember that I already talk to you, and i realy do not want.

First you suggest that I'm here wasting forum members time and than you say that you didn't talk to me? You did, and precisely because you wanted to, because you are a grown up man. Nobody pointed a gun to you head and told you to insult me and suggest that I am some kind of ignorant who came to this forum to waste your time. You told it because you wanted to. Period.

No, you give me a break. Because the rest of your post is just a conscious misinterpretation of my message, complaining about things that I didn't say or even suggest (for example: who told you that I consider myself an expert? What's an expert? How much knowledge do you have to reach to consider you have achieved expertise? Is it possible to know so much of any subject? Is there any room to improve knowledge once you reach expertise? Is it impossible for an expert to improve his/her knowledge with the help of less experienced people?), so that you can play the victim's role. But in all these months I have been visiting this and the previous forum, I never insulted anyone nor I have came here to give lessons to anyone (it would be difficult, as I have so much to learn), although you do it all the time and never spare anyone from your sarcasm. But now you complain about me, although I just pointed out an evidence while replying to your post, which was a direct attack to myself.

Look to the first phrase of your reply. Absolutely disgusting. What's the problem of being Portuguese? Is it the point? Shouldn't I be here just because I'm portuguese? Is that it? And the rest. For example:

>I do not rember you at 5 years ago, so do tell me what you can not do.

Unless this forum and their members came directly from the Genesis, I can't see the point of talking about how much time I get to arrive here.

Poor logic makes poor arguments. As I said, just playing the victim's role. Pitiful.

To MonRepos:

Yes, I know and I'm sorry, but I hope you understand that everyone has the right to defend himself/herself from insults and personal attacks. As I said, I never posted anything to insult anyone. So I can't tolerate when someone does it to me. I came to this forum to learn, because it is one of the best resources on drive repair I have found. And I asked for apologize to Peters for my possible mistake. I can't see why I have to be insulted.

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 5:11 

Hello Lea,

there are 3 things I would like to tell, DP please read the last one first : )

I have been in DR for some 4 years now. I still think I know very few things (though I can deal with electronics, FW and mechanics also) and I had to push myself through learning, experiencing and researching. And I think that is normal. We just have to pay the decent price of this area of science. I got some friends here, really good friends, and we can work together and help eachother's work. This also took time.
What I am trying to say is not that newbies should go away, learn some months and let us alone, but we all must respect others' 'secrets' and not force them by any means. Most of the people here are helpful.
If somebody tells U to turn to a professional, it is because with some experience we can tell it is not so trivial to recover data as one often thinks. Unless we specialize ourselves to do DR we can easily do more harm to the bits with programs we are not aware of the precise usage.

the second is not really for U, but maybe for others.
I think purpose of any forum in general is to let the members discuss things, problems and to help eachother.
There are cases we just don't want to help, share info I talked about, we have the right for that. When this is the case, I simply remain silent and try not to abuse anyone.

third:
it would be a good idea to let people access the old mhdd forum's posts in some way, since everybody could look for his/her answers first.

I wonder how did I found this many time to write all this :)

pepe

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 7:32 

Dear Pepe,

Let me tell you what I think a forum should be and why I'm boring so many people with this disgusting discussion about insults, respect, expertise and so on.

In the last 3 years and 8 months I've been working alone doing the maintenance of several dozens of computers (the maximum I had was 87 desktop and portable computers and 6 servers), more than 20 laser, inkjet, thermal and dot matrix printers, about 100 telephones and their station, and so on. The other part, network administration, is done by me and another person.

Too little money to expend, so lots of work and improvisation, deep study (unfortunately, without some books and software I would like to get the money to buy), many mistakes, sometimes fun, sometimes real hard.

All this means that in the same day I may have to solder a rs-323 plug or passing cables around the factory plant, as I have to configure Remote Installation Service to install Windows in a damn notebook who was bought by someone else without floppy or cd-rom drive. One day I have to dismantle an old laserjet printer and repair it, or a mouse, or understand why that thermal printer don't spit the labels off, and guess what: the truck is there, waiting... Another day a magnetic disk go to the hell, but there is no money now to buy one. What about that inkjet going mad? That computer suddenly lost its network connection. Or just another bluescreen. Now I have to pick that old and heavy 17" monitor and walk another 200 meters. And don't forget to pick the stairs and walk a few dozen meters to go to the rack 6 meters over the factory plant floor and do a few more connections. Be careful, don't fall down and break your neck. And now everyone lost e-mail access. And so on.

At the beginning what did I knew? And now, do I know so much? Sometimes I figger out what's going on. Sometime I get help from other nice people who figgered it out first. It may be a forum, or just a small text lost somewhere in the internet, or an article written by some PhD. Or by some layman. I get help from very experienced users, other time from less experienced but who fortunately are able to help me get a solution. Sometimes I get information from people with more theoretical knowledge than practical one. Sometimes, the other way. All are welcome. And if I read some nonsense, no problem. It's human nature and I am no exception. And everytime I can I share my experience to others, my way to say "thank you". Sometimes I post something wrong. I apologize, no ofense.

And all morning, while traveling in the bus, I'm always reading something, from magnetic to holographic storage, printers, monitors, so many different things on networking, operating systems, so many things to learn, so many problems to solve, so little time...

But then I found a forum with some self-promoted "experts" (really, do someone please tell me what an "expert" is?), living in a clean room shaped little world, divorced from reality. Knowing
too much about so little. And they don't want to tell me? Fine. But am I a stupid ignorant just because I didn't happen to learn only... drive repair? A single lubricant layer over disk surface involves mathematical, chemical and physical knowledge that would knock out most if not all of them. What do they really know about magnetic storage? What do we all know about it?

A simple error message popping up from the screen because, let's suppose, some DHCP shit, can start an endless discussion between *real* experienced users, sometimes with no solution. Why? Because a operating system is composed of millions of code lines. Too complex. Period. Define "expertise", please. The same goes for many other subjects, like disk repair.

But this attitude of insulting other people just because they don't know or have a different opinion is not typical of forums, but of talk.politics newsgroups.

Anyway, I'm here just trying to learn. And I regret that I don't know a lot more to help other people. But one thing is sure: coming across MHDD forum was a bless, let alone MHDD, as I have no money at all to invest in more advanced software.

Hope you get my idea :-)

Daniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 11:44 

Pancake, I cannot write so much... Basically it agree from Daniel Ferreira Especially all so is familiar... It is discussed every day PS local colour. I today have drunk, Russian tradition, at me birthday, I am sorry about ALL OF YOU. Therefore, completely I pass on the autotranslator. I ansver Monday. Inshuldegin SIE BITTE. Нафиг. :oops: :cry: :) Sorry....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2005, 16:09 

Hello Daniel,

yes, I understand U pretty well.
In my previous post I tried to be as humble as possible so that I won't offend, insult anyone. I might have not been clear enough, I am absolutely on your (and others') side (i am not sure I may say that without hurting anyone else)

The main point was in chapter two: if I cannot help or don't want, I won't say offensive things to others.

have a nice weekend!
pepe