All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Samsung HD400LJ PCB
PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 8:19 

Thanks Fzabkar, I checked the 000 resistor and it reads 000, one last question on the 5v tvs diode, can I replace that with any 5v tvs diode, I do have some experience in electronics, just been out of it for a few years. thx and I will eventually let you know how this turns out. I am one that appreciates those who share their knowledge with others, it is not there fault should someone err in their attempts as a diy.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 22:58 

pcimage wrote:
fzabkar wrote:
The last feedback I received in this forum was from a user who was quoted US$700 to remove a shorted diode.

I doubt that very much, more like the client was given a "guesstimate" on a recovery price, sight unseen. Then either it DID turn out to be a TVS problem (and probably given a "proper" quote accordingly), or you/they are just ASSUMING it was so simple. Again, you are just scaremongering to add fuel to the "fleecing DR company" fire you seem to like fanning.

The client removed the diode himself. So, yes, it was indeed a simple job.

As for sight unseen quotes, there are plenty of reports in this forum and others, from people who have removed the diodes and recovered their data after they rejected a hands-on quote from a DR firm, some as much as $1400.

Furthermore, I can show you a case in WD's forum where a drive was returned by a large DR firm, with TVS diodes replaced by links.

AISI, most, if not all of the scaremongering in this forum is coming from your colleagues. One favourite tactic seems to be to frighten individuals into believing that their preamp is dead or at serious risk.

BTW, I wait with bated breath for thatdellguy's explanation of how his client allegedly killed his preamp.

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 23:37 

fzabkar, you and your fake accounts are a waste of forum space. The admin should put a disclaimer on each of your posts so that people know the risks before they attempt a risky fix from a non-expert. I could easily create dummy accounts to counter your efforts. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 1:14 

thatdellguy wrote:
fzabkar, you and your fake accounts are a waste of forum space. The admin should put a disclaimer on each of your posts so that people know the risks before they attempt a risky fix from a non-expert. I could easily create dummy accounts to counter your efforts. :mrgreen:

Huh? Do you mean to suggest that you are actually contemplating faking DIY disasters to counter my attempts to help people? And are you suggesting that I have been faking DIY success stories to undermine your profession? If so, then that's utterly despicable. Moreover, it's laughable how an old man armed with a multimeter and a photograph can create so much paranoia and consternation amongst the DR profession.

I've now asked you twice to show us the result of your client's alleged DIY disaster. Note that I'm not calling you a liar -- I'm just curious as to how someone could apply an overvoltage to a preamp with a solder blob, assuming they had heeded the warnings to check their power supply. Moreover, I don't want anyone else to make the same mistake.

As for non-experts, there are plenty of those in the DR profession. The difference between them and myself is that I understand my limitations and inform others of same. I certainly don't take money on false pretences. In fact I don't take money at all, even when it is offered.

As for disclaimers, I would go even further and suggest that people claiming to be DR pros should be made to disclose their abilities, experience, tenure, equipment, etc. In fact a public body of work would go a long way towards establishing the credibility of a self-titled expert.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 1:29 

artdot wrote:
Thanks Fzabkar, I checked the 000 resistor and it reads 000, one last question on the 5v tvs diode, can I replace that with any 5v tvs diode, I do have some experience in electronics, just been out of it for a few years. thx and I will eventually let you know how this turns out. I am one that appreciates those who share their knowledge with others, it is not there fault should someone err in their attempts as a diy.

Sorry, I was temporarily distracted by the usual nay-sayers.

Yes, you can use any 5V TVS diode from a 3.5" drive. They all have a 400W peak rating.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 1:49 

fzabkar wrote:
Do you mean to suggest that you are actually contemplating faking DIY disasters to counter my attempts to help people?

I guess you'll never know. :buhahahaha:

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 4:48 

thatdellguy,
just save time for DR job. :)

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 15:04 

Hey Fzabkar, my drive is up and running, looks like I will be able to recover all my data, removing the tvs diode allowed that to happen, I replaced it with another today and it is still working just fine. Thanks I'll be back next time I have hdd issues. Thanks

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 15:32 

networkpc3000,

I'm curious. Are you actually a DR guy, or are you just a seller of used PCBs?

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2011, 15:33 

All of Francs posts in DIY help attempts are followed by "Heed the warning" and similar posts if a situation is dangerous. Nuff said. Stop with the friggin witch hunt.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 22:04 

artdot wrote:
Fzabkar, I am posting/attaching picture with arrow pointing to smd that has failed, is this what you are referring to?

I have the same issue as artdot. What's the best place to get a 5V TVS diode, possibly Radio Shack? Where did you get yours?

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 15:21 

Removing a PCB from an electronic device already implies that the user is desperate enough to attempt DIY procedures and or seek advice.

This goes for almost all cases here. The user has done the following:

1. Removed the drive from the PC (so they cracked the case and have a screwdriver)
2. They remove the Cables from the device or plug and unplug (even without knowledge or just out of curiosity)
3. Remove the PCB without being grounded (they are most likely going to look for something that they have no idea about)
4. Inspect and poke around with a multimeter (after coming here for advice and or help)

There is a ton of people who have got data back from the TVS fix alone, that reason alone makes these forums great.
(imagine the people who have never posted but read and recovered data .... its in the thousands im sure)

The DIY people usually call a DR company or bring it to a pro when it's important to them.
People aren't stupid but they are stupid enough to know that - I CANNOT DO THIS. People get computers fixed for many
reasons - hell even the guy in this case brought it to mac for a replacement. I'm sure something a DIY'er could have done.

The same users posting here are the same type of people who would be willing to change a FLAT TIRE on a car by themselves.
(that's my best analogy)

If someone is here helping them and you are not trying, then stop reading these forums and stop complaining.
This forum is for advice and help and keeping DR professionals connected.

Everything in life comes with risk and you have to accept that, Even (GASP) crossing the street has inherent risk.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2011, 12:54 

ozzy25 wrote:
What's the best place to get a 5V TVS diode

Look for an SMAJ5.0A from Farnell, Mouser, Digikey.

PostPosted: July 31st, 2011, 23:22 

Thanks. Tired a jumper but it didnt' work.

PostPosted: August 1st, 2011, 5:11 

You replaced the TVS with a jumper ?

PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 23:17 

Hi, different problem with my HD400LJ. The chip close to the engine burned up. (EDG13s,HAI 3645) Could be reason that my engine is shorted so if I change PCB it will burn up as well? Thanks for advise.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 16:14 

Measure the resistances of the motor windings. Typical readings would be 2 ohms phase-to-common and 4 ohms phase-to-phase.

See the procedure about half way through the following tutorial:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/Tu ... 0411N.html