All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HDD with broken partitions, need some help please
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 9:26 

Can someone please help...

It has been a while since i have messed around with formatting HDD's. Some time ago I used to use an amazing program I bought called partition magic 8.0, i would just stick the disk in, press a few buttons and boom... i could completely format my HDD and do a complete fresh install. However now, with a new computer i have, partition magic doesn't want to play. It doesn't even want to run.

The computer i got, i installed ubuntu 11.10. However after some extensive wrestling with the os trying to get it to do what i wanted i have decided to return windows for a few more years... However i want to install my windowsXP... this is where the problem lies.

So, here is what has happened:

1 - I installed Ubuntu 11.10 as the only OS

2 - Didn't like it

3 - Put the WinXP cd in, it said it was loading up but then blue screened and said it would not go any further as it may cause damage.

4 - Thinking this may just an issue with the format of the HDD after the Ubuntu install I then placed a Win7 cd in. Installed Win7 (I cannot actually use this copy tho as it is registered on another PC)

5 - When Win7 loaded up i clicked on the c drive and properties, it said 20gig used, I totted up the amount of space used by clicking props on all the folders in the c drive, the total was about 10gig. I then assumed that win7 did not over write the ubuntu but placed it next to it.

6 - Thinking i could now install winXP, i inserted the winXP cd but it blue screened again

7 - Now left with win7 and ubuntu on the HDD but not being able to use win7 as the copy is already activated on another pc, i figured ok, i'll re-install ubuntu and get it to wipe everything on the HDD, but it now popped up with a partition error.

So, I am now stuck.

Is there a program like the partition magic that can just wipe my entire HDD and all partitions so i have a fresh start?

I really need some help on this, i've been clicking around endlessly but to no avail.

Post subject: Re: HDD with broken partitions, need some help please
PostPosted: December 23rd, 2011, 16:47 

No need for any software; i think the blue screen you're seeing is because win xp can't detect your hard drive. There are two options you have to solve this:
a) Change the Sata setting in bios from SATA (or AHCI or...) to IDE (or compatible or...) and then try to install winxp. If success, on the partition selection page just delete everything and install xp.
b) Find the ahci drivers from Intel website (or from mobo manufacturer page) and either embed them into xp installation using nLite or write them on a disk and press F6 during xp installation (when prompted).

Tada!

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 15:57 

northwind
The OP may have a problem formatting this disk if it is over 137GB. The problem lies in how XP decodes the LBA. Vista and Windows 7 decode like linux and use the same start block. Windows XP uses a start block one off and may vbery well cause "drive alignment" issues after his install. I suggest you read up on format alignments so you don't get surprised.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 17:21 

The 137gb lba problem was an issue for OS's prior to xp sp1 (ie. no sp). And then, not always.
May be OP's issue, but my dice is still on ahci.

Only OP can say :mrgreen:

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 19:07 

Wipe the drive with something like DBAN to get the Linux partitions off it. XP wont install if it sees linux partitions already on the drive I have ran into this many many times. I havent yet tried to install WIN7 on a drive that had previous Linux install to know if the same thing happens but I assume it does. I had a good friend run into this very same issue about 3 weeks ago . He ran dban for about 5min on the drive to let it wipe the old partitions and had no issue re-installing Vista before that same as your describing no blue screen but Vista was not able to find a drive to install to.

PostPosted: December 24th, 2011, 21:11 

Happy Holidays all, does anyone here have any experience with iPod drives? I started another thread here that describes my problem if anyone can help.