Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Clicking hitachi deskstar

November 7th, 2010, 18:40

I had a clicking deskstar 500 gb hard drive I would like to save the contents but I would never be able to afford or justify paying for pro recovery would buying an identical drive and swapping the PCB or the platters ?

Re: Clicking hitachi deskstar

November 7th, 2010, 22:17

probability to be the pcb : 5 to 20 percent. Forget about swapping platters if you don't have the tooling and experience - unless you trust internet bullshit. To me the problem is most probably HSA , or service area, or even a media damage / combination of these problems.

November 7th, 2010, 23:16

I am afraid there's 70 percent of HSA malfunction. "gazr2d2", there's little chance to solve the problem on your own. Swapping PCB will not work.

November 8th, 2010, 17:32

Simple PCB replace is useless on this model.
Additionally, hitachi will endless knocking with one or more dead head, and will destroy the surface sooner or later.
Stop the drive, start to collect up money, and seek for professional help, if you have valuable data on the drive.
If you think, you can ask prices for this from more company just to get some idea about the price.

You can ask pcimage user on this forum, He is in UK.
If you think, i can help too, but in Hungary.

Janos
Post a reply