All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DELAYS found in HARD DISK
PostPosted: December 26th, 2010, 7:22 

use R-Studio for windows or ddrescue for linux. download http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=downloads and create a bootable disk.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2010, 8:41 

i have one dell laptop also it is showing

reallocated event count error as warning.

current 100
worst 100
threshold data 0
data 34

should i be worried.

PostPosted: December 26th, 2010, 11:59 

when i am copying my files to another hard disk .
the files which are corrupted are also corrupted in the hard disk in which i am copying.
please help.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2010, 8:49 

When you were previously told that you were not being clear and not giving enough information, you said:
vaibhav wrote:
this time i am crystal clear and will be always from next time.
sorry for inconvenience caused..

Unfortunately for you, again your latest update is too ambiguous and unclear :( Please remember that we cannot see your system; we do not know which keys you are pressing or which software you are using; we do not see the exact error messages that you are seeing; etc. etc.

You said:
vaibhav wrote:
when i am copying my files to another hard disk .

I'm assuming when you say "copying", that you do not mean cloning, because of the next part of your message below. So why are you not cloning your failing disk, to the 250GB USB disk which you say you now have?

Several members have explained that the best DIY chance for getting the data off your (increasingly) faulty original disk, is to clone it ASAP. (It is possible that professional cloning using special hardware (Deepspar etc.) which can control power & internal disk retries, might have even more success depending on the exact current state of your original hard disk, but would cost you some money to pay a pro who has that equipment.)
vaibhav wrote:
the files which are corrupted are also corrupted in the hard disk in which i am copying.

Unfortunately that did not translate well into English IMHO (e.g. no info about how you are looking at the files; no info about how you are detecting files are corrupted; "the hard disk in which i am copying" is ambiguous - is that the source or target of the copy? etc. etc) but if you are looking at files, then it seems unlikely that you are following the previous suggestions to clone the whole disk as the first step. (You would then need to do further work to recover the files from that clone.)

Replying to your point above: In general terms, when copying files, then of course - if the source cannot be read correctly, then the target will have the same problems (corruption / incomplete data / etc.) as the source. Unfortunately, due to the ambiguity in your comment above, I can't guess at what procedure you are actually performing, to give any further comment.

From your earlier comments where you said:
vaibhav wrote:
pls give a full proof solution

and
vaibhav wrote:
i am not getting proper responses...

I think you have unreasonable expectations about what help you might get, from this free forum, especially when you give unclear / ambiguous information, and when you criticise people who might be able to help you. I am giving you this reply, to give you a chance to get some more help, by explaining to you why your last update is mostly useless for anyone to understand exactly what you are now doing. This could explain why you got no response to it so far...

I don't promise further replies, but good luck.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2010, 10:36 

@ vulcan

i am new to this so i dont know what to tell u.
i am not able to explain u properly so i will try to improve in telling the problem.

i have made a back up of my important docs.by simpy copying to another hard disk now only games and softwares images and .rar files are left in my hard disk in which i am getting errors when i am testing the rar files with winrar and when i am copying the files to another hard disk the errors are still der in the file.

i just want to know which cloning software i should use.
some said use cloning software first den use recovery software.
what does that mean??

PostPosted: December 29th, 2010, 12:12 

vaibhav wrote:
i am new to this so i dont know what to tell u.

That is why you must therefore explain every detail of what you are doing (and what errors you are seeing etc.), since you do not know what is important information, and what is not important :)

vaibhav wrote:
i have made a back up of my important docs.by simpy copying to another hard disk

:( You have been recommended several times already to clone the whole of the original HDD ASAP, since it is clearly deteriorating (note the increase in reallocated sectors) and it could fail completely (at least for any DIY rescue attempt) at any time!

vaibhav wrote:
i am getting errors when i am testing the rar files with winrar

I am assuming that you are doing this test on rar files on the source (original) disk, but since you don't explain exactly what errors you are seeing, I cannot understand the detail.

vaibhav wrote:
and when i am copying the files to another hard disk the errors are still der in the file.

As I explained before, this is normal - if the source of a copy is unreadable / corrupt / incomplete etc., then the quality of the target (destination) of that copy cannot be better than the source. Or to say it another way: copy of rubbish == rubbish :(

vaibhav wrote:
i just want to know which cloning software i should use.

There is no single correct answer - it depends on your ability to use Linux and/or to obtain and use other software which has already been recommended. Also for different types of disk behaviour, some software can be better than others (i.e. you may need to try different software, or to use/setup/configure software in different ways, to be successful). As I explained before, for some types of faulty disk behaviour, hardware disk duplicators (as used by some pros) can sometimes succeed, where software cloning does not succeed.

See the earlier posts in this thread by moinstermunch and fzabkar for some examples of cloning software. If you are unable to obtain or use these, or if you do not feel confident, then I suggest that you stop now and consult a pro, if your data is important to you. In the worst case (e.g. by choosing the wrong copy direction during the cloning process) you could destroy your data. You have to decide how important the data is to you, and decide on your own skill/ability and the risks you want to take.