Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail

December 24th, 2010, 17:22

Hi,

I have Samsung HM322IX. In this drive is USB interface only, which was cut off - it was under connection via USB. After solder new miniUSB plug, drive is not recognize - standard popup "USB Device Not Recognized". Probably USB controller is dead.
I don't have other the same PCB on stock.

1. Does anyone know, where I should connect SATA on this PCB - pinout?
2. Maybe there is SATA PCB compatible with this one. Which?

Marry Christmas to all :)
Attachments
DSC_0154_.jpg
DSC_0153_.jpg
DSC_0152_.jpg

Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail

December 24th, 2010, 20:47

The first thing I would do would be to verify continuity between the various pins in the USB connector and the pins on the USB-SATA bridge chip. To this end it would help to know the part number on the IC -- the USB Data+ and Data- signal traces disappear under the IC. Is it a JMicron, Initio, Oxford Semi, Cypress chip?

You may achieve easier access to the USB pins by connecting a USB cable and testing for continuity from the larger host end.

The SATA Tx/Rx pairs are easy to identify. You can see two thin pairs of capacitively coupled traces exiting the left side of the bridge chip and running down the board towards the MCU. To gain SATA access, remove the capacitors and then tap into the 4 inline plated through holes at about 10 o'clock on the circumference of the centre circle.

I believe these are the correct pins:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HM ... A_TxRx.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/HM ... _minus.jpg

The order of the SATA Tx/Rx pairs would most likely follow the same pinout as a SATA interface connector, to allow for a neat PCB layout.

http://pinouts.ru/HD/serialATA_pinout.shtml

December 24th, 2010, 22:21

What tools are you using to read this one with. Do you have UDMA. You can try this one on there it is now supported and should give you a good idea on how this one can work for you and what might be the problem on it. I had a lot of these in lately and seems that they are full of bad sectors on it and and bad media damage. Have not found so far too many problems in the USB PCB boards on them here so would check on the UDMA and see if you can go from there.

December 25th, 2010, 5:33

Yes, I have UDMA. But problem is with interface, not with bad block ;)
Thank you fzabkar, I check your hints.

December 25th, 2010, 6:51

USB controller: JM20329 0915 LGCA1 C 370VW0015.

Datasheet: http://www.hxwtek.com/upload/jm20329_st ... 20open.pdf

I put note about result.

December 25th, 2010, 19:19

just had the same issue on the same drive with 500gb drive
i cold not repair board as previous tech damaged board badly
i swapped board from a donor drive and had to swap Marvel chip , all recovered successfully

January 3rd, 2011, 14:36

I connect SATA interface, data recovered 100% ;) Thank you fzabkar for good info!

January 6th, 2011, 0:39

arvika, I had the same problem today with my HDD same model, i need more information about the Sata connection. Do you have pictures?

January 6th, 2011, 4:30

jasonjdgr wrote:arvika, I had the same problem today with my HDD same model, i need more information about the Sata connection. Do you have pictures?

A little attention and you could find yourself , compared with usual PCB.
Attachments
samsungPinsUSB.JPG
samsungPins.JPG

January 6th, 2011, 5:02

Exactly ;)

January 6th, 2011, 5:04

DR-Kiev wrote:
jasonjdgr wrote:arvika, I had the same problem today with my HDD same model, i need more information about the Sata connection. Do you have pictures?

A little attention and you could find yourself , compared with usual PCB.

Dr.Kiev
if you don`t mind me asking,,

How do you take such close image to the PCB clearly like that?
if Digital Cam what model?

Am wondering about such an issue like this.

and thnx in advance :wink:

January 6th, 2011, 6:52

Canon Power Shot series have good macro mode.

January 6th, 2011, 7:07

The best method is to scan the pcb plate.

January 6th, 2011, 7:28

arvika wrote:Canon Power Shot series have good macro mode.

thnx for the tip

i was looking around those:

http://www.drivestar.org/product/micros ... _micro.htm

http://www.drivestar.org/product/micros ... imicro.htm

maybe the 1st. link

January 6th, 2011, 7:40

Yes, is looks ok. But i think digital camera is enough.

I have Power Shot A3100 IS. It costs about 100$. Example photo from camera:
Attachments
740 003_.jpg

January 6th, 2011, 7:42

thnx for the quick reply

i`ll get mine too better hehehhe

many thnx

seems we went out of the main subject here :wink:

April 21st, 2011, 9:25

I have the same drive with the same problem. Where can I get a second pcb so I can swap the bad one with the good one? I have searched everywhere online but I can't find where to buy just the board.

August 27th, 2011, 19:14

i got the same problem with this drive.
Can someone tell me how to fix this.. I dont get the whole thing about what you guys said here above.

Thanks..

August 27th, 2011, 20:12

Mems if you cant follow the thread that has all the info needed to connect a sata coonector then your not going to be able to diy your drive repair. I dont see anyone laying it out better than it already is in tis thread. If you dont know which pins are tx and rx on the sata connector google will tell you in a heartbeat. You have to put some effort into this if you dont want to send to a pro for repair.

October 2nd, 2011, 6:29

Hello all!

New to this forum but I'm sure I'd be hooked on this for a long time to come! It's the pandora's box to all my data recovery troubles! (of course with that comes hard work, not spoonfeeding)

Having a technical background I thought I would understand this thread easily. However it seems that I need a little bit more guidance. Can someone guide me a bit more and I promise I will do my own homework!

I have the HM322IX USB board which has been fixed pretty badly by a previous technician and I have a Sata Board from a HM320II. I tried swapping them over just it is and it doesn't work.

Does this mean that the solution is not a simple board swap, or am I doing it wrongly?
Attachments
USB.JPG
USB.JPG (42.51 KiB) Viewed 27248 times
SATA.JPG
SATA.JPG (44.75 KiB) Viewed 27248 times
Post a reply