All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: October 2nd, 2011, 7:39 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2010, 11:17
Posts: 2371
Location: Kuwait
mancorp wrote:
Hello all!

New to this forum but I'm sure I'd be hooked on this for a long time to come! It's the pandora's box to all my data recovery troubles! (of course with that comes hard work, not spoonfeeding)

Having a technical background I thought I would understand this thread easily. However it seems that I need a little bit more guidance. Can someone guide me a bit more and I promise I will do my own homework!

I have the HM322IX USB board which has been fixed pretty badly by a previous technician and I have a Sata Board from a HM320II. I tried swapping them over just it is and it doesn't work.

Does this mean that the solution is not a simple board swap, or am I doing it wrongly?



when you have a flat tire, do you change a battery?

_________________
Kuwait Data Recovery - UNIX GTC
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. By: Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 2:57 
Offline

Joined: October 2nd, 2011, 6:17
Posts: 11
Location: Australia
einstein9 wrote:
mancorp wrote:
Hello all!

New to this forum but I'm sure I'd be hooked on this for a long time to come! It's the pandora's box to all my data recovery troubles! (of course with that comes hard work, not spoonfeeding)

Having a technical background I thought I would understand this thread easily. However it seems that I need a little bit more guidance. Can someone guide me a bit more and I promise I will do my own homework!

I have the HM322IX USB board which has been fixed pretty badly by a previous technician and I have a Sata Board from a HM320II. I tried swapping them over just it is and it doesn't work.

Does this mean that the solution is not a simple board swap, or am I doing it wrongly?


Great

when you have a flat tire, do you change a battery?


Hi Einsten9,

Thanks for that, though I'm not really sure what prompted you to come up with such a one liner. It sure doesn't make one feel good getting a notification only to find out it leads to such. We are all ignorant when we start out, and with a little friendly guidance everyone can get better. I asked what needed to be asked and if there was anything incorrect about my question, prod me along and I will try to give more details.

Does it mean that I shouldn't even be changing the board? What then should I start out with? I can identify the Sata TX/RX but what are my necessary next steps? Perhaps you, or someone, can provide a little friendly guidance.

Thank you.



Thank you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 3:04 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2010, 11:17
Posts: 2371
Location: Kuwait
well, seems u didn`t get my point from the comment my friend

no relation between what u did (changing pcb) + ur problem desc.

u change PCB ONLY AND ONLY when its completely dead and NONE repairable

ur problem is ELSE WHERE

and needs PROPER DIAGNOSE

PROPER DIAGNOSE = Pro. tools + Well Experienced Pro.

thats all

good luck

_________________
Kuwait Data Recovery - UNIX GTC
The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once. By: Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: October 4th, 2011, 5:57 
Offline

Joined: October 2nd, 2011, 6:17
Posts: 11
Location: Australia
einstein9 wrote:
well, seems u didn`t get my point from the comment my friend

no relation between what u did (changing pcb) + ur problem desc.

u change PCB ONLY AND ONLY when its completely dead and NONE repairable

ur problem is ELSE WHERE

and needs PROPER DIAGNOSE

PROPER DIAGNOSE = Pro. tools + Well Experienced Pro.

thats all

good luck


I changed the PCB because the USB connection had dropped off, and was fixed back by an inexperienced technician, that screwed the old USB board so badly that it wouldn't work. Since then, I changed the USB board to a SATA board. Kindly refer to my attached pictures.

I do hope the previous people who managed to solve this - kindly advise.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: October 5th, 2011, 2:48 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11033
Location: Australia
The technique whereby you swap a SATA PCB for a USB PCB has been said to work for other drives (WD) in other threads. In those cases "adaptive" data were transferred from patient to donor. I don't know whether your Samsung drive also has adaptives. Some say yes, others say no (I'm not a data recovery professional). In any case, if the answer is yes, then this would not be a feasible proposition for you, as such data would be stored within the internal flash memory of the MCU.

That said, I find it difficult to understand how the USB DATA+ and DATA- signals could be so badly damaged as to make them inaccessible and unsolderable. Assuming that really is the case, and if you really must tap into the SATA Tx/Rx pairs, then I can't see what additional information you require. Elsewhere in this thread you have a link to the JMicron datasheet, plus you have a photo clip that identifies the coupling capacitors. I have also provided a link to the SATA pinout.

Here is an identical procedure for a WD drive (with pictures):
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010 ... tor-suite/

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 14:06 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
fzabkar wrote:
The technique whereby you swap a SATA PCB for a USB PCB has been said to work for other drives (WD) in other threads. In those cases "adaptive" data were transferred from patient to donor. I don't know whether your Samsung drive also has adaptives. Some say yes, others say no (I'm not a data recovery professional). In any case, if the answer is yes, then this would not be a feasible proposition for you, as such data would be stored within the internal flash memory of the MCU.

That said, I find it difficult to understand how the USB DATA+ and DATA- signals could be so badly damaged as to make them inaccessible and unsolderable. Assuming that really is the case, and if you really must tap into the SATA Tx/Rx pairs, then I can't see what additional information you require. Elsewhere in this thread you have a link to the JMicron datasheet, plus you have a photo clip that identifies the coupling capacitors. I have also provided a link to the SATA pinout.

Here is an identical procedure for a WD drive (with pictures):
http://www.datarecoverytools.co.uk/2010 ... tor-suite/



Hello fzabkar!
Do you know where is the 5V soldering point on the Samsung S2 PCB? I have one patient drive which is not spins up, but the blue light flashing with ambient light, so i think making sata port (like on wd my passport drives) on this drive is my way.
Thank You


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 18:43 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11033
Location: Australia
saltwater wrote:
Do you know where is the 5V soldering point on the Samsung S2 PCB? I have one patient drive which is not spins up, but the blue light flashing with ambient light, so i think making sata port (like on wd my passport drives) on this drive is my way.

The +5V point should be traceable to the +5V USB supply pin. In any case, before you hack your PCB, I would confirm that the PCB is in fact alive. If the drive doesn't spin up, then it could be because the PCB is dead.

If you upload some detailed photos, I could help you identify the voltage test points.

You might also consider looking for the serial terminal pins and testing whether there is any diagnostic output.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 1st, 2014, 6:11 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
fzabkar wrote:
saltwater wrote:
Do you know where is the 5V soldering point on the Samsung S2 PCB? I have one patient drive which is not spins up, but the blue light flashing with ambient light, so i think making sata port (like on wd my passport drives) on this drive is my way.

The +5V point should be traceable to the +5V USB supply pin. In any case, before you hack your PCB, I would confirm that the PCB is in fact alive. If the drive doesn't spin up, then it could be because the PCB is dead.

If you upload some detailed photos, I could help you identify the voltage test points.

You might also consider looking for the serial terminal pins and testing whether there is any diagnostic output.


Thank you fzabkar!
Here are the photos, and video of the drive.

Image

Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnAlOOIdaQs&feature=youtu.be


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 1:25 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11033
Location: Australia
AFAICT, the LED is being driven by the Marvell MCU, so this would suggest that the MCU is receiving the correct voltage. Nevertheless it would be worth checking the Vcore and Vio voltages at the two 4R7 coils.

I would also check for the presence of +5V and +3.3V at the regulator for the JMicron bridge IC. There was one thread where the inductor measured open circuit. In that particular case the fault was repaired with a little resoldering.

Here is the pinout for the USB connector:
http://pinouts.ru/CellularPhones-A-N/ce ... nout.shtml

The attachments are my guesses as to the location of the Vcore and Vio test points, plus the serial RS232 Tx/Rx pins and the +5V and Ground pins. You will need to verify them for yourself. Pay particular attention to my guess for the +5V supply. It may be a +3.3V test point instead.

I'll leave it to someone else to assess your video.


Attachments:
HM322IX_5V_Gnd.jpg
HM322IX_5V_Gnd.jpg [ 42.22 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]
HM322IX_TxRx.jpg
HM322IX_TxRx.jpg [ 23.66 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]
HM322IX_Vcore_Vio.jpg
HM322IX_Vcore_Vio.jpg [ 29.06 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]
HM322IX_3V3_reg.jpg
HM322IX_3V3_reg.jpg [ 121.35 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 4:17 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
Thank you so much!
I have resoldered the USB contacts, and the grey inductor.
The led blinks very fast, but after a minute it's turns off. With longer USB cable, the led is does not blinks.
Here are the pictures with measuring final.

Image

Image

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 4:23 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
I have measured my USB output power, and it's 5 volts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 4:29 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
Between the 5v test pont and the USB input i measured 2 ohm


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 4:34 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: November 3rd, 2013, 13:04
Posts: 252
Location: Hungary
With another USB cable the drive spins up, but clicks :-(
Thank you again fzabkar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2014, 4:46 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11033
Location: Australia
ISTM that the USB supply voltage is too low, probably because the USB port cannot provide enough current to spin up the drive. A USB 2.0 port is current limited to 500mA whereas 2.5" drives usually require 0.8A or more during spinup. Some USB ports are OK with this but many are not. To work around this problem, try a USB Y-cable. This picks up power from two USB ports.

Otherwise some Gigabyte motherboards have a USB "turbo" mode which can deliver as much as 3A to a USB port. However, this mode needs to be enabled using a Gigabyte supplied driver.

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 3:42 
Offline

Joined: October 15th, 2005, 0:58
Posts: 15
Location: India
fzabkar,

Please , Can you give me Samsung diagram for terminal access ?

Attached Sata terminal for Toshiba , same I want diagram for Samsung drive .

Best Regards,
Nainesh


Attachments:
connect-sata-terminal.gif
connect-sata-terminal.gif [ 27.14 KiB | Viewed 6028 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: June 25th, 2014, 15:58 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: September 8th, 2009, 18:21
Posts: 11033
Location: Australia
How to connect a terminal cable on a Samsung drive ?
http://malthus.zapto.org/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=189

_________________
A backup a day keeps DR away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: August 31st, 2015, 4:20 
Offline

Joined: August 31st, 2015, 4:12
Posts: 1
Location: ukraine
Hello gays,
Does anybody known which capacitor need? I replaced its from a board. I want to repair capacitor! Thanks a lot.


Attachments:
File comment: SamsungHDD
samsungs2front.jpg
samsungs2front.jpg [ 309.26 KiB | Viewed 5203 times ]
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 19:40 
Offline

Joined: May 1st, 2018, 19:34
Posts: 3
Location: Uruguay
arvika, could you upload some pictures of the board with the finished connection?

I have the same problem and it seems to be the only way to recover the information.

Thank you so much!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 19:52 
Offline

Joined: October 16th, 2013, 13:21
Posts: 717
Location: Brazil
Look at the post by Dr-Kiev. It shows where to connect the sata wires.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HM322IX USB interface fail
PostPosted: May 1st, 2018, 20:12 
Offline

Joined: May 1st, 2018, 19:34
Posts: 3
Location: Uruguay
rogfanther wrote:
Look at the post by Dr-Kiev. It shows where to connect the sata wires.


Thanks, but can i connect the sata wires directly to the chip terminals or i have to add some resistors like is in the regular sata board?

Where the board get power?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group