All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD20NPVX slow dump
PostPosted: March 4th, 2022, 14:59 

A few days ago my WD20NPVX 2TB drive reported a SMART error due to Reallocated Sector Count hitting a threshold value.
I thought the idea behind the SMART error served as a warning and you should replace it asap.
I guess my thinking was wrong as the drive stopped responding right after SMART getting bad :D
While no tools were able to access the drive, I was able to see the sector contents with Active@ disk editor although the drive responded extremely slow.

Although most important data is on backup drives I wanted to make a copy of the drive anyway and at the same time learn a bit about the technique behind it.
The drive originally came in a USB case, I removed it and connected it directly to the mainboards sata interface.

I then tried a couple of recovery tools to read an image or clone the drive. All the 'regular' commercial recovery software fails to properly connect.
Since sectors can be read out, I figured this just means it is not the right software.
After some reading on the forum here I then tried the HDDLive image.
The first attempt gave < 0,1mb/s read speed which meant a 10 month dump process.
After some more reading I did the slowfix 02 and tried again. It now started with 0.6mb/s read speed.
After slowfix 32 things started to look better. It now got ~10mb/s read speed.
So I let it run for a day after which it errored out. The error was caused by the fact that the source drive moved from /dev/sda to /dev/sdd.
After reconnecting the drives I got them in the proper order again and continued the dump.
I loaded the log in HDDSCviewer and it shows some kind of pattern that seems to indicate that the drive stops responding after every x period.
I attached a screenshot.
Has anyone seen this before, anyone know what or why this is happening?
Any tips?
In any case, thanks for taking the time to read my post.

~V.

Attachments:
wd_dump.jpg
wd_dump.jpg [ 4.5 MiB | Viewed 3696 times ]

Post subject: Re: WD20NPVX slow dump
PostPosted: March 4th, 2022, 15:58 

Looks like a dead or weak head. You can try to dig at it now you have the rest of the data but if nothing is reading you're going to need a new HSA.

Post subject: Re: WD20NPVX slow dump
PostPosted: March 4th, 2022, 19:36 

I agree that is a weak or dead head. I could tell more from having the actual log file, but from the information available in the images it looks very bad/weak. If the data is very important I would suggest seeking professional data recovery.

You do not indicate that it is that important, so if you want about the best recovery you can get from the situation with DIY, I would run it through phase 2. You can even stop it and disable all of the other clone phases if you want, so it would stop on its own after phase 2. I think it would take another day to complete phase 2. After phase 2 you are pretty much all done. Looking it up the drive it has 8 heads, so you should get close to 87.5% recovered.

After getting through phase 2, you would almost certainly need to run good data recovery software on the clone/image to see what could be recovered. DMDE, UFS Explorer, and R-Studio are tools that come to mind.