All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MBR Error on Seagate Hard drive
PostPosted: October 29th, 2005, 9:26 

Hi to all,

I have a seagate ST320410A fw: 3.34. I can be detected by the bios but you will wait about 3-4 minutes to initialize. When I used MHDD and performed the NHPA or HPA command, it failed because there was some error in MBR. Is the MBR placed in Sector 0? Please give me advice on how to fix it.

Thanks everyone.

Alvin

Post subject: Re: MBR Error on Seagate Hard drive
PostPosted: October 31st, 2005, 8:38 

vhinz2k5 wrote:
Hi to all,

I have a seagate ST320410A fw: 3.34. I can be detected by the bios but you will wait about 3-4 minutes to initialize. When I used MHDD and performed the NHPA or HPA command, it failed because there was some error in MBR. Is the MBR placed in Sector 0? Please give me advice on how to fix it.

HPA can't be failed because of an error in MBR, it live in firmware itself ;)

also read:

http://forum.hddguru.com/viewtopic.php?t=194

Post subject: Re: MBR Error on Seagate Hard drive
PostPosted: October 31st, 2005, 12:41 

vhinz2k5 wrote:

Not many clues..., but you can try this:

If the computer takes always the same time to boot, I would bet on an issue outside the drive.

With some motherboards, if you have any mass storage device with ATA cable connected but not the power cord, the computer will take an incredible amount of time to boot.

I've found this to be an issue also when connecting some mass storage devices (mostly optical drives) to old motherboards or mixing old and new devices. It may be motherboard dependent or not. Sometimes, a device demands to be alone in the adapter. Other times, it just demands to be the master. Other times you just can't mix up specific models. Failing to do this will make the computer wait a long time before booting.

Also, it can be BIOS related (motherboard or ATA card). Make sure you have it updated.

Daniel