All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: WD5000AAVS PM2 (PUIS) ACTIVATED, UNABLE TO REVERT
PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 3:55 

I would just like to confirm that the PUIS flag (in a ROYL drive) is written to ROM module 0D. The 32-bit checksum for MOD 0D is also recomputed so that it remains at 0.

The details of the checksum computation for the various components of the ROM image are presented in other recent threads. Contrary to Salvation Data's documentation, the "integrity word" is not a CRC, but a simple sum, either 8-bit or 32-bit.

An MHDD script can be used to read the ROM image. The following thread describes how to do this, and more:
wdc-wd5000abys-01tna0-re2-needs-recovered-t21632-20.html

PostPosted: February 6th, 2012, 14:46 

redzo wrote:
4. Waking up the hdd using the hdat2 /w command. This command was also supposed to reset PUIS, but it doesn't work. It only manages to wake up the drive. Reseting the system by using control+alt+dell or by using the reset button.

My suggestion when doing any change to a hard drive is to do a power cycle. Nothing you did in Step 4 was effectively a power cycle. All you reset was the CPU, specifically the pointer that tells the CPU where to execute instructions. The reset button does not power cycle the machine or the hard drive. Unplugging the computer from electrical outlet and removing the Molex connector from hard drive are two ways to power cycle a hard disk. Most people just press the power button until the PC shuts off (may take 5 seconds).

In any case, hdat2 should be able to do what you need to do. I can tell you that if you run hdat2 in interactive mode, tell the drive to disable its power up in standby, and then you turn the power off to the drive, then the settings will take effect once you turn the drive back on. Only if there is some defect in the drive will this not work.

PostPosted: February 8th, 2012, 7:32 

The reset is needed because once the hdd has been waken up, due to the fact that the BIOS failed to initially detect the hdd, the hdat2 is not able to properly restart. It outputs an error. The entire DOS environment needs to be reloaded from the boot disk.

ShellGameBot wrote:
In any case, hdat2 should be able to do what you need to do. I can tell you that if you run hdat2 in interactive mode, tell the drive to disable its power up in standby, and then you turn the power off to the drive, then the settings will take effect once you turn the drive back on. Only if there is some defect in the drive will this not work.

Nope. It doesn't work like that. It would have been too easy. The problem with some WD hdds is that once the Power up in stand by has been enabled by software, the drive will no longer report this feature as being supported. As a result, there will be no more PUIS feature for you in hdat2 to disable.

Quote From CBL, taken from: http://hdat2.getphpbb.com/post750.html
Quote:
I have read all about it and (I think) it seems that it is a bug in firmware.
With another hard drive if you have enabled this feature you are able to disable it again.

Nothing has changed since 2007 regarding this issue. The only method working for me is the one posted by guru in this topic. WD guys are nice enough to RMA the drive for you if you encounter this issue, but the thing is that the drive still needs to be under its warranty period, which is something very obvious.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 14:57 

I can confirm that is working for my 2 WD drives (AAKS series), without data loss or any problems at all..
just follow the described procedure with .puis script, and off-course: put the .bin file in the same folder as the MHDD executable and puis script in SCRIPT folder...

thanks to guru for effective solution,

and critics to Vulcan for inappropriate and unusable replies...

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 15:05 

duck wrote:
and critics to Vulcan for inappropriate and unusable replies...

You're welcome to your opinion, as I am to mine. :)

Sometimes I choose not to "spoonfeed" answers. Other times (like when I wrote my reply earlier in the thread), I was actually away from any x86 machine and so couldn't test what I thought the answer would be, so I deliberately gave the best hint that I could (as well as the way that I would test that the location of the files was correct). If you don't like hints and only want complete spoonfed answers, then I'll remember that next time you have a question, and I could help but only with part of the answer (which I won't give, because you only like full answers).

Since I also get many thanks on the forum, I'm happy with my ratio of "thanks" to "critics" - no-one is perfect. :)

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 17:19 

Come in peeps, aren't we all frustrated enough by the times we are living? No need to be mean, misleading or wise-asses. The man of the hour at that time was GURU who, maybe got tired by my whining, and gave me the key to my serenity. It did the trick, I thanked him so sincerely and maybe someone should give me credit for starting this topic and finding in here the most awaited fix. The thing was quite old on the internet and all that it could have been done at the moment was that bootable iso that you had to run every time you started the pc.
So thank you GURU once again! I hope life treats you good cause you sure do know how to make others happy.
From a 15feet snow flooded Romania, a warm thought goes to the beautiful people :wink:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 19:01 

:D

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 19:07 

masterat0r wrote:
The man of the hour at that time was GURU

Agreed - nice one guru :good:

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 19:09 

live long and prosper :O)

PostPosted: April 24th, 2012, 12:08 

Guru, I've been trying to fix my drives (3x WD3200YS) for a week until I found this topic. Highpoint and Western Digital weren't able to help. Highpoint support is terrible/ bad english, WD reply's within a day but wasn't able to help also. This topic provided me with the solution. I made an account to post this and to thank you from the bottom of my heart. THANK YOU! :beer:

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 17:45 

Forgive my ignorance, but I just cannot seem to get mhdd to run off any boot device I create. Current revision, Windows 98 MS-DOS boot files running on a 1GB USB stick. Created MHDD folder with MHDD files, I get "An unhandled exception error occurred at 0x00036350: ERANGEERROR: Range Check Error..."

ASUS Z8PE-D16 Motherboard, Intel storage in IDE mode, WD3200KS with PUIS issues is the only drive connected. Any thoughts? Drive does spin up (BIOS has enable/disable support for Staggered Spinup).

Created a boot disk with Nero, added MHDD files from Magic Boot Disk .zip file. Files show up in Windows, but not in DR-DOS.

Floppy Extraction .exe file errors with "Cannot Access A" though a USB floppy device is connected at A: with a working floppy. Running Windows 7 x64.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 18:14 

New info on my situation: I was able to boot to MHDD with AHCI enabled, but I do not believe it is able to see or access my drive. It reports that the drive is not ready when I attempt to run id. Am I looking at a compatibility issue or am I looking at a drive that is completely bricked. Any info is appreciated.

I will run on a mITX Intel D945GCLF2 board I have laying around at some point, but I do not really have the time. Also, let me know if I should have created a new thread... I apologize if I hijacked this thread when I should have created a new one.

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 19:50 

LordLuciendar wrote:
New info on my situation: I was able to boot to MHDD with AHCI enabled, but I do not believe it is able to see or access my drive. It reports that the drive is not ready when I attempt to run id. Am I looking at a compatibility issue or am I looking at a drive that is completely bricked.

A drive that has powered up in standby should still respond to the ATA Identify Device command, albeit with a limited information set.

What makes you think that your WD3200KS has "PUIS issues"? Did you actually enable PUIS?

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 21:04 

It was connected to a RocketRAID 1740, and it responds to HDAT2.exe /w.

I have connected the drive to another computer with a DG43NB motherboard, without RAID, and I am able to wake the drive up using HDAT2 and reboot into MHDD and finally, I am able to see the drive. MHDD must not like the new Sandy Bridge-E Intel RSTe driver, even in IDE mode, of the Z9PE-D16.

Yet, even though I have placed off.bin and puis in the root directory of my MS-DOS USB stick alongside MHDD.exe, I run it, get to the prompt, type in .puis and... nothing. I have tried creating a SCRIPT folder, and a SCRIPTS folder and adding the necessary files to both locations, no change. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I get no error, just brings me back to the prompt (which is the same behavior as when you type in a nonsense command).

PostPosted: April 25th, 2012, 22:00 

After re-reading the thread for the two dozenth time. I realized that there was a tiny mention that the fix works with MHDD v4.5, but not v4.6. Once I switched versions, which shockingly included the SCRIPTS folder this time round, I was able to get things to work. I'm about 3 drives into 8 to restore, once it works, it's quick and painless.

Just some notes for anyone who reads this after me. I created a USB boot stick using the HP Flash Utility and Windows 98 MS-DOS Boot Files, instructions here.

I downloaded the MHDD v4.5 Archive, extracted it, and copied the files to the root of my boot device. I downloaded Guru's PUIS fix from earlier in the thread, and extracted the PUIS file to the SCRIPTS folder and the OFF.BIN file to the root alongside MHDD.EXE.

I booted to a HDAT2 boot disk to run HDAT2.EXE /W which wakes the disk from standby, then used ctrl+alt+del to reboot the system once I had removed the boot CD and added my USB stick. Once the system booted to the boot disk, I ran MHDD, pressed F2 to verify the disk was selected, and entered .puis, selected 1 to continue, and voila.

Many, many, many thanks to guru for this, and everyone else's posts I read and re-read to figure this out.

PostPosted: April 27th, 2012, 22:31 

AIUI, the PUIS script includes an ATA Set Features subcommand that should spin up the drive. This means that you shouldn't have needed to wake the drive with HDAT2. :?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2012, 21:06 

Thank you! This script and this post:

how-reset-puis-drives-after-highpoint-raid-t20208.html

helped me bring two WDs back from rocketraid-induced PUIS hell.

Thanks!

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:56 

hi guys, i'm trying u'r process, but always same result: drive error. I have wd5000avvs, but with PUIS and master password, security hi, my question is, exist out there some app or tool that will do the two unlocks at the same time, i mean, unlock puis and master pass without reset, cuz mhdd with PUIS unlock turn up my hard disk, same like doing hdparm or turn_up_in_stand_by, but when reset puis is back and lose my hard disk again. well, i hope u or someone else can help me, sorry for disturb u and take it easy, always thanx 4 all, and all fellas in the forum, c ya.

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 8:56 

Hello!
I have a WD3200AAJS and from mistake i enable PUIS , can somebody help me to disable it , i don't know how to integrate that script in MHDD , if you can to tell me all steps I will be grateful.
Thanks

PostPosted: June 27th, 2012, 9:12 

Dimy wrote:
Hello!
I have a WD3200AAJS and from mistake i enable PUIS , can somebody help me to disable it , i don't know how to integrate that script in MHDD , if you can to tell me all steps I will be grateful.
Thanks

page 2 has a step by step guide.
one thing:
put the .bin file in the same folder as the MHDD executable and puis script in SCRIPT folder. (as Duck mentioned above)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next