Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

reset password for WD portable HDD mypassport elite

April 13th, 2011, 8:36

Dear all,

I have a portable 500GB WD HDD my passport elite which I have not used often. The problem is that I forget the password and wish to know if anyone knows a way of resetting the password to null without erasing the data within the HDD.

Thanks in advance

Re: reset password for WD portable HDD mypassport elite

April 13th, 2011, 9:11

If you mean the WD Smartware password, it is not possible.

April 13th, 2011, 9:16

no password, no data

April 14th, 2011, 2:09

K thanks guys

April 18th, 2011, 5:17

Disagree with: "WD Smartware password, it is not possible"
Agree with: "no password, no data"

Defence from theft.

For OP , find a way to remember your password (hypnotic relaxation for example :) )
or persuade a highly qualified professional who knows the solution,that it is your drive.

April 18th, 2011, 21:24

DR-Kiev wrote:Disagree with: "WD Smartware password, it is not possible"

You know of some way of "resetting the password to null without erasing the data" then?

April 19th, 2011, 5:30

drc wrote:You know of some way of "resetting the password to null without erasing the data" then?

After resetting the password data is not erasing (it would have take too much time every time). Just lost access to it, something like in Prestigio .

April 19th, 2011, 9:22

Well sure, it is not erasing in the sense of writing zeroes to the drive. But to the user, "permanently losing access to the data" is the same as "erasing the data"
Post a reply