Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Freecom harddrive protection, password lost, 3 drives

June 22nd, 2011, 18:13

Hi I have a freecom harddrive 3x, and there is an password on it, it's the freecom Freecom ToughDrive 320GB 2.5 inch
and it is password locked, all 3. But I have lost the password, when you put it in the usb, you get a cd drive, and can't read it..
You can format it, and what I have been trying is to recover the partition table, so to make the partition visable, I tried this with testdisk, but
it did not seem to work out, because there were read/write errors with it. And that on all 3 drives, they are not broken.

Also linux could not mount the partition.!

So the question now is, can we read the data out anyway? otherwise I am about to format it , and use recuva to recover the files from the drive.
I own those drives, and the only problem is I forgot the password of them all 3, its probally the same.

Thanks hope to hear your advice.

Re: Freecom harddrive protection, password lost, 3 drives

June 23rd, 2011, 9:10

Wow noone knows a sollution? :( Damn im screwed, I have so much important photoshop files on them =/ been a year, and I need them. like over 1000

June 23rd, 2011, 9:19

Looks like these are hardware encrypted... in which case no amount of formatting or anything is going to help.

Most likely the enclosure is not letting you even get access to the data partition until you put in the correct password. You could take the drive out of the enclosure and get access to the encrypted data, but that is not going to help either.

The whole point of encryption is that if you don't have the password you can't access the data. It's always possible that there is some vulnerability that could be exploited but barring that, no password = no data.

June 23rd, 2011, 9:30

IS there any recovery company that can do this? Or am i just screwed?

June 23rd, 2011, 9:33

SupYoshi wrote:IS there any recovery company that can do this? Or am i just screwed?

If there was a way to get around the encryption, it wouldnt be very good encryption.

The idea of the hardware encryption is that nobody can break it.

June 23rd, 2011, 9:37

It depends on how much is he willing to spend and if data is not needed... yesterday.

June 23rd, 2011, 10:09

How much would this cost? I am very interested, please send me a PM with the costs, or post them here.

Thank you in forward

June 23rd, 2011, 11:02

I think that your data could be definitly lost..
Pay attention on how do you spend your money, someone could promise you all what you want, ask you 100,200,500$ for an ispection of your drive and than tell you that you are unluky becouse for your case the data is not recoverable..

June 23rd, 2011, 17:47

Okay I will, I just hope it is recoverable, but formatting, and recovering files with recuva won't work?

June 24th, 2011, 5:35

SupYoshi wrote:Hi I have a freecom harddrive 3x, and there is an password on it, it's the freecom Freecom ToughDrive 320GB 2.5 inch
and it is password locked, all 3. But I have lost the password, when you put it in the usb, you get a cd drive, and can't read it..
You can format it, and what I have been trying is to recover the partition table, so to make the partition visable, I tried this with testdisk, but
it did not seem to work out, because there were read/write errors with it. And that on all 3 drives, they are not broken.

Hope you still not reached password typing limit?

otherwise I am about to format it , and use recuva to recover the files from the drive.

Don't do it, won't help. You will kill any chances, it is uses AES as developer mentioned.

How much would this cost? I am very interested, please send me a PM with the costs, or post them here.

At this stage, think about how to remember the password ( if this is your drives) , try somebody's help in this way first.

June 24th, 2011, 10:25

I'm agree with dr-kiev..
format the drive could let you loose forever your data..
The only chance is to remember the password.

June 24th, 2011, 10:42

Would there be a way to brute force the password? But this will probally take years, even with a good computer right?

June 24th, 2011, 10:55

http://www.consealsecurity.com/conseal- ... ncryption/
Post a reply