PostPosted: October 8th, 2011, 22:35 

Help guys, i've :
maxtor diamond max 21 STM 3250820AS
s/n : 6qe1s03d
p/n : 9dp13e-326
firmware : 3.aae
date code : 07527
site code : SU

some time it doesn't recognize in bios, and some time does, can anyone tell me how to fix this, and oh this hdd has been short circuit before and i have RMA to the store and i don't know if they replace it with an new or just replace the short circuit pcb.

Post subject: Re: maxtor diamond max 21 sometimes doesn't recognize in bio
PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 0:39 

CHECK YOUR SYSTEM then replace this one too.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 6:01 

@verisme:
If you haven't got this already, IMHO you should make sure you get a backup of any important data on the drive, while it is being recognised by the system, as your highest priority.

verisme wrote:
this hdd has been short circuit before and i have RMA to the store and i don't know if they replace it with an new or just replace the short circuit pcb.

What exactly do you mean by it "has been short circuit before" - what were the exact symptoms? Were those symptoms also intermittent, like the current "not recognised by the BIOS" symptom, or were the symptoms consistent all the time?

How often is the drive now not recognised in the BIOS, compared to how often it is recognised? (I'm trying to understand how intermittent the current incorrect behaviour is, of not being recognised by the BIOS.)

Who did the original diagnosis of a "short circuit"? Did they give you any more details about what they meant exactly, or give you any advice about what they believed might have caused that?

Do you hear the drive spin-up and stay spinning, when it is not being recognised in the BIOS?

Do you hear any unusual noises from the drive when it is not recognised in the BIOS, e.g. clicking / ticking?

Has the PC ever refused to power-on (e.g. blank display, perhaps fans briefly spin or not at all, no power light), with the original drive or the "RMA'd" drive inside?

Is this your boot drive in that PC, or are you booting from a different physical drive?

You say that you've RMA'd the drive to the store before: When did you do that RMA, approximately (e.g. which month/year)? When did you get the drive originally, approximately (e.g. which month/year)? Was your data still on the drive after the "RMA" or not? Was there any change in the original symptom (I've asked for more details about what that symptom was above), after the drive was "RMA'd" or did the "new" drive behave in exactly the same way immediately? (I'm trying to find evidence of whether the whole drive was replaced, or just the PCB, or perhaps nothing at all - remembering that there is more to the process of replacing a PCB on a modern drive, than just swapping it.)

When your drive is recognised by the BIOS, and I presume you are then able to use that PC, are there any disk-related error messages during normal PC usage, or does everything appear to work normally?

With full and exact answers to those questions, it might be possible to build a more complete picture of likely causes. Currently, based on this intermittent symptom which you describe, I am not convinced that the original diagnosis of some kind of vague "short circuit" is correct.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 7:10 

@Vulcan

my english is very limited so i don't know if what i was say i correct and you would understand what i meant, so here it goes :

i've already bought a new hdd and copied all my files to my new hdd , it was 2 years ago , so i just want to experiment with this hdd so thanks for your advice.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by it "has been short circuit before" - what were the exact symptoms? Were those symptoms also intermittent, like the current "not recognised by the BIOS" symptom, or were the symptoms consistent all the time?

well when i was installed 2 hdd at the same time on the same pc , the first one is 80 gb seagate , and the second is this 250 gb maxtor, i was stupidly make a mistake by not realizing that one of my hdd power cable is out of it bracket and touch another power cable and and when i power up my pc , my 80gb seagate, one of it ic on the pcb blew up and make smelly air and i unplug the 80 gb seagate (i just throw it away, because it has no warranty anymore) from my computer and fix the power cable so it doesn't touch another power cable and when i turned on again the with the maxtor still plug on pc the pc won't start, until i'm unplug the maxtor. With the hdd all remove i used another hdd 40 gb and it work fine. So i brought back the maxtor to the store, when they test it on the store it make some sparks and smelly air , because the warranty is still on i've to pay the freight cost and they said they RMA it to the vendor, and it takes about 2 weeks, and it looks good until 9 month later when it starting to make problems, sometime the bios doesn't detect the hdd sometime does, and it often not detect by bios. the monitor doesn't go blank when it doens't detect, the pc work well even if it doens't detect by bios.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 7:49 

@verisme,
Thanks for the information. As you explained, the language problems mean that all of my questions have not been answered. However, based on the information you have now given, here are my comments:

verisme wrote:
i've already bought a new hdd and copied all my files to my new hdd , it was 2 years ago , so i just want to experiment with this hdd

OK, so the data on this 250GB Maxtor disk is not important.

verisme wrote:
i was stupidly make a mistake by not realizing that one of my hdd power cable is out of it bracket and touch another power cable and and when i power up my pc , my 80gb seagate, one of it ic on the pcb blew up and make smelly air [...] when i turned on again the with the maxtor still plug on pc the pc won't start, until i'm unplug the maxtor.

That Maxtor drive behaved as if it had received an over-voltage on a power input (e.g. perhaps it received 12V on its 5V input, based on your comments about the power cable).

verisme wrote:
So i brought back the maxtor to the store, when they test it on the store it make some sparks and smelly air , because the warranty is still on i've to pay the freight cost and they said they RMA it to the vendor, and it takes about 2 weeks, and it looks good until 9 month later when it starting to make problems, sometime the bios doesn't detect the hdd sometime does, and it often not detect by bios. the monitor doesn't go blank when it doens't detect, the pc work well even if it doens't detect by bios.

So as you can see, the symptoms now are completely different to the previous drive which was damaged by the power cable problem.

You would need to answer more of my previous questions (especially explaining more about the behaviour of the current drive) in order to give readers here a better chance of remote diagnosis for you. However based on the limited information so far, I expect that the Maxtor drive has an internal problem which you will not be able to fix yourself.

If you supply the full raw SMART data from the drive (e.g. collected using HDDscan or other suitable software), then there might be some evidence in that data to confirm my suspicion of an internal problem with the drive.

Further diagnosis might be possible, but due to the fact that the data on the disk is not important, and the language problem, I would not spend lots of time getting terminal output from the drive etc.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 9:25 

@Vulcan, thanks, here the SMART raw that you needed , i hope this can give you more information,

Hard Disk Summary
Hard Disk Number,1
Interface,S-ATA II
Disk Controller,Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (ATA)
Disk Location,"Channel 1, Target 1, Lun 0, Device: 1"
Hard Disk Model ID,MAXTOR STM3250820AS
Firmware Revision,3.AAE
Hard Disk Serial Number,6QE1S03D
Total Size,238472 MB
Power State,Active

Logical Drive(s)
Logical Drive,F: [coba]

ATA Information
Hard Disk Cylinders,484521
Hard Disk Heads,16
Hard Disk Sectors,63
ATA Revision,ATA/ATAPI-7
Total Sectors,488397168
Bytes Per Sector,512
Buffer Size,8192 KB
Multiple Sectors,16
Error Correction Bytes,4
Unformatted Capacity,238475 MB
Maximum PIO Mode,4
Maximum Multiword DMA Mode,2
Maximum UDMA Mode,300 MB/s (6)
Active UDMA Mode,300 MB/s (6)
Minimum multiword DMA Transfer Time,120 ns
Recommended Multiword DMA Transfer Time,120 ns
Minimum PIO Transfer Time Without IORDY,120 ns
Minimum PIO Transfer Time With IORDY,120 ns
ATA Control Byte,Valid
ATA Checksum Value,Valid

Acoustic Management Configuration
Acoustic Management,Not supported
Acoustic Management,Disabled
Current Acoustic Level,Default (00h)
Recommended Acoustic Level,Max performance and volume (FEh)

ATA Features
Read Ahead Buffer,"Supported, Enabled"
DMA,Supported
Ultra DMA,Supported
S.M.A.R.T.,Supported
Power Management,Supported
Write Cache,Supported
Host Protected Area,Supported
Advanced Power Management,Not supported
Extended Power Management,Not supported
Power Up In Standby,Not supported
48-bit LBA Addressing,Supported
Device Configuration Overlay,Supported
IORDY Support,Supported
Read/Write DMA Queue,Not supported
NOP Command,Not supported
Trusted Computing,Not supported
64-bit World Wide ID,Not supported
Streaming,Not supported
Media Card Pass Through,Not supported
General Purpose Logging,Supported
Error Logging,Supported
CFA Feature Set,Not supported
CFast Device,Not supported
Long Physical Sectors (1),Not supported
Long Logical Sectors,Not supported
Write-Read-Verify,"Supported, Disabled"
NV Cache Feature,Not supported
NV Cache Power Mode,Not supported
NV Cache Size,Not supported
Free-fall Control,Not supported
Free-fall Control Sensitivity,Not supported

SSD Features
Data Set Management,Not supported
TRIM Command,Not supported
Deterministic Read After TRIM,Not supported

S.M.A.R.T. Details
Off-line Data Collection Status,Successfully Completed
Self Test Execution Status,Successfully Completed
Total Time To Complete Off-line Data Collection,430 seconds
Execute Off-line Immediate,Supported
Abort/restart Off-line By Host,Not supported
Off-line Read Scanning,Supported
Short Self-test,Supported
Extended Self-test,Supported
Conveyance Self-test,Not supported
Selective Self-Test,Supported
Save Data Before/After Power Saving Mode,Supported
Enable/Disable Attribute Autosave,Supported
Error Logging Capability,Supported
Short Self-test Estimated Time,1 minutes
Extended Self-test Estimated Time,92 minutes
Last Short Self-test Result,Never Started
Last Short Self-test Date,Never Started
Last Extended Self-test Result,Never Started
Last Extended Self-test Date,Never Started

Security Mode
Security Mode,Supported
Security Erase,Not supported
Security Erase Time,Not supported
Security Enhanced Erase Feature,Not supported
Security Enhanced Erase Time,Not supported
Security Enabled,No
Security Locked,No
Security Frozen,Yes
Security Counter Expired,No
Security Level,High

Serial ATA Features
S-ATA Compliance,Yes
S-ATA I Signaling Speed (1.5 Gps),Supported
S-ATA II Signaling Speed (3 Gps),Supported
S-ATA Gen3 Signaling Speed (6 Gps),Not supported
Receipt Of Power Management Requests From Host,Not supported
PHY Event Counters,Supported
Non-Zero Buffer Offsets In DMA Setup FIS,Not supported
DMA Setup Auto-Activate Optimization,Not supported
Device Initiating Interface Power Management,"Supported, Disabled"
In-Order Data Delivery,Not supported
Asynchronous Notification,Not supported
Software Settings Preservation,"Supported, Enabled"
Native Command Queuing (NCQ),Supported
Queue Length,32

Disk Information
Disk Family,DiamondMax 21 250820
Form Factor,"3.5"" "
Capacity,"250 GB (250 x 1,000,000,000 bytes)"
Number Of Disks,2
Number Of Heads,3
Rotational Speed,7200 RPM
Rotation Time,8.33 ms
Average Rotational Latency,4.17 ms
Disk Interface,Serial-ATA/300
Buffer-Host Max. Rate,300 MB/seconds
Buffer Size,8192 KB
Drive Ready Time (typical),11 seconds
Average Seek Time,8.5 ms
Track To Track Seek Time,0.8 ms
Full Stroke Seek Time,? ms
Width,101.6 mm (4.0 inch)
Depth,147.0 mm (5.8 inch)
Height,21.0 mm (0.8 inch)
Weight,600 grams (1.3 pounds)
Acoustic (Idle),2.5 Bel
Acoustic (Min performance and volume),3.2 Bel
Acoustic (Max performance and volume),3.2 Bel
Required power for spinup,"2,800 mA"
Power required (seek),12.4 W
Power required (idle),8.9 W
Power required (standby),0.8 W
Manufacturer,Seagate Corporation
Manufacturer Website,http://www.seagate.com/maxtor/

Attachments:
maxtor.jpg
maxtor.jpg [ 115.57 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]
File comment: using harddisk sentinel
maxtor2.jpg
maxtor2.jpg [ 141.66 KiB | Viewed 6358 times ]

PostPosted: October 9th, 2011, 14:04 

Thanks for that information.

As I said before, the SMART info might give some useful evidence. In this case, there is no obvious sign of internal disk problems - but that does not prove that everything is OK with the disk, as some disk problems will not (cannot) update the SMART data on the platters.

One area of slight interest in that SMART data, is the count of interface CRC errors - attribute 199. For SATA disks that is the CRC error counter for SATA frames received by the drive. I'm not going to give a full tutorial about why this doesn't give "the whole story", but this might be indicating a problem in the area of the SATA interface (motherboard, cables, disk drive). However, you said that the disk drive behaves normally when it is recognised, and if there was a SATA interface problem, I would expect that problem to occur during runtime as well.

You could try using a different motherboard SATA port and SATA data cable, to see if that makes any difference to how often the disk is not recognised by the BIOS - but I am not expecting a change in behaviour, based on your information supplied so far; this test would just be for elimination purposes.

So in summary, I see this SMART data as inconclusive - SMART data can never prove that the disk is OK; and it does not always evidence of every fault, even when a fault exists. Sometimes we are lucky that this data does obviously indicate a problem, but not this time IMHO.

If this was my disk, and if I had lots of time to spend on a 250GB disk (which I don't!), I would investigate areas including whether the SATA CRC incremented after each time that the disk is not visible in the BIOS; check the answers to the questions which I asked earlier, about the exact disk behaviour & noises, when it is not recognised in the BIOS, as this may give evidence of problems with the disk initialising; use the disk's terminal output to see what is reported by the disk when it is not recognised by the BIOS etc. etc. However, with the language limitations here, and the fact that the data on the disk is unimportant, this level of troubleshooting would not be worthwhile IMHO.

The only part that I can see where you might be able to fix a problem yourself, would be if the problem is outside the drive, with the SATA interface (motherboard or cable). A drive PCB fault causing this symptom is very unlikely IMHO, and there is nothing else you could fix with the disk drive yourself.

Sorry I don't have good news for you. Someone else might have a different opinion. Good luck, whatever you decide :)

PostPosted: October 10th, 2011, 0:28 

@Vulcan

well thanks anyway for your trouble in giving me information regarding my hdd. well any way i will tried to install in another pc to a see if the problem occured again in near future.