All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Verbatim help
PostPosted: October 13th, 2011, 21:36 

Just purchased a verbatim wallet drive. I've attempted to connect it to USB 2.0 ports on a laptop and desktop and windows will not see it, both XP 32 bit and 7 64 bit. I was told to get a USB 3.0 driver, but I can't find one. Look on verbatim and microsofts sites and did a search. Probably just didn't search hard enough. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Verbatim help
PostPosted: October 14th, 2011, 22:41 

FYI, you've posted this in the wrong part of the forum (your question is not related to a guide written by a forum member), so I've asked the forum mods to move this thread to the correct section "Hard Disk Drives: data recovery and repair". It should be moved to there soon. Until it is moved, you can still reply to the thread here.

Kinghq1 wrote:
Just purchased a verbatim wallet drive. I've attempted to connect it to USB 2.0 ports on a laptop and desktop and windows will not see it, both XP 32 bit and 7 64 bit.

What do you mean exactly by "not see it"? Is there any USB recognition by Windows at all e.g. the double beep sound? Is the drive visible as a USB device in WinXP Device Manager, even if it isn't visible in "My Computer"?

Does the drive show any sign of "life" when plugged in via USB at all e.g. any light / sound from the drive? Even if perhaps your PCs would actually need a USB Y-cable to provide enough power (see the Verbatim support section for the Wallet drive for discussion about this), I would expect some sign of life with a single power cable, even if the drive did not operate correctly. If there is absolutely no sign of life at all from the drive, have you tried a different USB cable?

Finally, it may simply be a faulty drive. What is the returns policy of the supplier, and which company was that?

PostPosted: October 14th, 2011, 22:58 

lol figures, looked at the various forums to try and determine where to post, thank you for having it moved. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sorry, yes Windows does give beep when it is plugged in and the blue light on the drive does light up. Device is not visible under any portion of Windows, under DevMan it shows a yellow !. I did uninstall the USB Mass Storage from DevMan and then reinstalled, still didn't recognize it. After I posted I was driving by BestBuy and thought I'd let the Geek Squad try it and they didn't get anything either.

I plugged it into a USB 3.0 port on my system and even plugged it into a powered USB port and still was not recognized. Yes, Verbatim did say they were sending out a Y cable. The feeling I got from the email was that it was a known issue already. My guess is that it's either a bad drive OR Verbatim just didn't put enough power into it. I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 and it works well, even plugged it into the same ports I had the Verbatim in. I'll see what happens when I get the Y cable from Verbatim.

Thank you.

PostPosted: October 14th, 2011, 23:07 

Thanks for this info.
Kinghq1 wrote:
I plugged it into a USB 3.0 port on my system and even plugged it into a powered USB port and still was not recognized.

That is a worry, as a USB 3.0 port should be capable of supplying enough for typical external USB-powered 2.5" drives, even without a Y-cable.

Kinghq1 wrote:
I purchased a Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex USB 3.0 and it works well, even plugged it into the same ports I had the Verbatim in. I'll see what happens when I get the Y cable from Verbatim.

Great - I'm sure you can do the troubleshooting from here onwards, when that cable arrives :)

Kinghq1 wrote:
Thank you.

You're welcome! :)