All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung G2 portable data recovery
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 17:37 

Hi i read the thread about the S2 portable issues but nothing there seemed to help.
my 640Gb G2 just suddenly went from working fine to not, i will admit i did drop it onto tiles earlier today but it still worked but now it has decided to stop. it is not making any strange noises and i can hear a normal sound coming from it as well as the blue light being on constantly . when i plug it into my computer, a local disk H comes up and it had always been G i am sure, i cannot open it and a message pops up saying i need to format the drive before it can be used. This is slightly horrifying to me as i have extremely important things on it. this happened with me last one aswell(same brand and type) but that one was literally making a ticking noise and no data could be retrieved.
what can i do? im wary of taking it back to where i bought it because the last time i did i dont think they even tried to recover anything and i feel that because its sounds healthy that it can still be fixed or at least the data can be retrieved??

Post subject: Re: Samsung G2 portable data recovery
PostPosted: January 24th, 2012, 21:21 

You say it says to format it when you try to open it up. Do this if it is a FAT32 get the program GET DATA BACK Fat and try it. Normally this can rebuild the file structure and you can then copy your files off to anohter HDD. If it is a NTSF file system you will need GET DATA BACK NTSF to do this one with. Most of the ones I work with are FAT.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 11:29 

@scorpiochane:
scorpiochane wrote:
i did drop it onto tiles earlier today

It is possible (probable?) that you have caused internal damage to the drive, by dropping it onto tiles.

scorpiochane wrote:
i have extremely important things on it

Although it would be possible to try some DIY investigation, to see if any of the data is readable, there is a risk that continuing to use the drive will cause (further) internal damage. :( If the data is important, then I suggest using the services of a reputable DR company, instead of taking the risks of DIY investigation, but of course it's your choice.

PostPosted: January 25th, 2012, 12:41 

Yes I read he droped this on the tiles but he was able to use it. Now he says that he sees his drive H but asks to format this one. I see this too on the Samsung G2 series drives here that come in. I have been able to clone them to another drive and then use Get Data Back Fat to reconstruct the files inside the clone and get back data. I am not sure if he can clone his drive or not but he can try and purchase Get Data Back and read the file structure inside of this one. Yes it takes time to do this but he also said he was able to use the drive after it was dropped on the tiles. This was the only DIY change he had on this one other than taking it back and seeing if they would give him a new one and then the data would be gone they do not do recovery work on these drives.