Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Problems with Toshiba MK6459GSX

April 5th, 2012, 10:20

Hi

i have beed spending my free time on recovering my drive, that was unreadable one day. I do now know the reason why. So i have read and tried some stuff. have tried to restore some old drives for testing puposes. I used ddrescue and it done a very good job.

Now I get more question that i have answers to them while trying ddrescue on toshiba drive.
_____
sudo ddrescue -d -n /dev/sdc /media/rec/640.img ~/Desktop/640.log
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued: 0 B, errsize: 0 B, errors: 0
Current status
rescued: 63663 MB, errsize: 36719 MB, current rate: 0 B/s
ipos: 100383 MB, errors: 1147, average rate: 440 kB/s
opos: 100383 MB, time from last successful read: 3.4 m
Copying non-tried blocks...

this is going for 3 days now... and it is quite interesting and I do now know what to think about it.
most when reading the from toshiba speed is between 700kb/s to 15M/s, then errors come.
it is like rule that for 1gig - 300meg is errors and this repeats all the way.

This disk is not so valuable so i am not thinking of going for the service somewhere. I am interested in DIY experimenting ;)
any info on this would be appreciated.

cheers

Re: Problems with Toshiba MK6459GSX

April 5th, 2012, 10:52

Happy DIYing then.

The disk has head related issues, get data till it works (with your method). Alternative : use dedicated equipment or fix the disk and get all data except what's in damaged areas (that likely have).
There's nothing else YOU can do.

April 5th, 2012, 11:10

Hi

thanks. when i read you answer it seems very logical that it has 2 platters and one head is damaged then it cannot read quarter of data. Then i need head swap :) but for that i should get similar hd. :(

again thanks a lot. anyway i know i am doing right with what i have and can do ;)

cheers

April 5th, 2012, 11:13

The problem is that when too many errors are encountered, your disk will simply STOP repsonding and after powering off then on it won't come back to life again.

April 5th, 2012, 14:59

yep. i'm holding it powered. i think rescue will work for week or so ;)

April 5th, 2012, 15:18

The problem is NOT "if you switch off it will die" , it is "when it has enough, it will die" !

April 5th, 2012, 16:28

hey man, i heard you good. just i may have not made myself clear. recently i am getting very interested in recovering data from my dead drives ;) this is quite interesting thing to do .

Thanks
Post a reply