Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: External HDD to SATA fail

January 18th, 2015, 19:44

Thank you for the replies!!!
I didn't connect my disk via SATA since I have another WD 1TB ext hdd. I connected that bridge PCB with my 2TB disk, the disk spined, WD Smartware popped up showing locked, no drive number was assigned to it and no files can be seen. If I connected with the original bridge PCB, the disk didn't spin.

January 18th, 2015, 23:35

@candys067, measure the voltages between the ends of each of the 12 highlighted capacitors.

Measure the voltage between ground (the metal case of the USB socket) and each side of the zero-ohm resistor.

Be very careful not to short adjacent pins with your probes, as serious damage could result.
Attachments
Capacitors_Zero-Ohm-Resistor.jpg

March 1st, 2017, 16:11

Hi fzabkar,

I know this post is > 2years old, however, I've just run into exactly same issue. I have WD My Passport Essential 1TB external drive. It stopped powering up last week. When disconnected from the case and connected via universal USB/SATA connector the disk spins up and can be discovered by the OS. Obviously the disk is encrypted and TestDisk can't rescue it. I have measured voltage on all 12 capacitors and 0ohm resistors:
outcome: voltage on both ends of the 0ohm resistor show 12V,
capacitors show voltage (1V, 2.5V,5V and 12V)

is this what they are supposed to measure? what should I do next?

March 1st, 2017, 16:32

@dyll, those voltages appear to be OK.

1V = Vcore for bridge IC
    2.5V = Vio for bridge and serial flash (U2)
    5V = HDD +5V

I would now see whether your bridge PCB can be detected by UVCView or USBDeview. This will confirm whether the USB interface is working and whether the bridge IC is at least partly functional.

You could try a USB 2.0 cable to isolate any problems with USB 3.0.

March 1st, 2017, 17:30

Western Digital My Book Essential bridge PCB, 4061-705094:
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=112&t=1032

reallymine: WD MyBook/MyPassport decryption (freeware):
http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1488

WD My Passport Decryption Tool (commercial):
viewtopic.php?t=35048

March 1st, 2017, 17:34

@fzabkar,

The board doesn't get detected by my linux box. Can test it only with the original cable as the USB port of the board has a non-standard, proprietary shape. Tried connecting the cable to both USB 2.0 and 3.0 port on my PC. Same effect.

March 1st, 2017, 17:49

Does the LED flash or light up at all? Can you see any cracked solder joints at the USB connector?

March 1st, 2017, 18:43

@dyll, can you post a picture of your board ?

March 1st, 2017, 19:55

The LED lights up and stays on.
The joints at the connector look fine.
Adding some pictures of the board.
Attachments
usb_connector.png
USB connector
usb_connector.png (143.45 KiB) Viewed 12175 times
4061_705094_001_rev13.png
board

March 1st, 2017, 20:21

A solid LED is inconclusive. If it were flashing, then we could be certain that the bridge IC were alive. Instead ISTM that the bridge IC is probably dead, at least on the digital side.

Is there is any response if you press the pushbutton?

March 2nd, 2017, 15:44

nope, nothing changes when I press the button.

June 8th, 2019, 0:17

I know this is a relatively older thread and I seem to have gotten my self into some trouble.
My Western Digital (WD) My Book Essential 3.0 TB external hard drive (it's old - about 7 years or so. I know it is my bad for not replacing it) was just running fine till a few days ago.

It decided to give up on me. When I plug it, it gives an sound that seems to be coming from the board.
Here is what happens when I attach both power and USB cable -
* The LED flashes continuously
* There is a digital sound (alarm sound?) coming from inside the board. It is not a clicking sound as would be from a hard disk damage but instead an alarm sound

I call WD for assistance and they were the ones who looked up and told me that it is 7 years old and can not assist me further. I started reading about these disks online and how they work. Opened the box and the PCB board is "4061-705094-001 Rev AG ".

Would appreciate any insight on this issue? I was thinking of finding a replacement board and trying it on but I have yet to find the PCB with the correct Rev online.

Thanks guys!

October 17th, 2019, 22:09

randomUser wrote:
I call WD for assistance and they were the ones who looked up and told me that it is 7 years old and can not assist me further. I started reading about these disks online and how they work. Opened the box and the PCB board is "4061-705094-001 Rev AG ".

Would appreciate any insight on this issue? I was thinking of finding a replacement board and trying it on but I have yet to find the PCB with the correct Rev online.

Thanks guys!

I have the same big problem with 4061-705094-001 Rev AG, do you solved?

October 18th, 2019, 17:54

Ti ho appena risposto su TomsHW.
Se possibile posta la foto del controller anche qui, sicuramente troverai gente più competente e risposte migliori rispetto a quelle che potresti ottenere su TomsHW

October 25th, 2019, 6:38

Michael 3755260460
Post a reply