All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: western digital wd3200avjs problems..how to fix
PostPosted: February 14th, 2013, 13:26 

i recently pulled a western digital wd3200avjs from a DVR that i would like to use as a backup drive...upon placing it in my system,the bios only half saw it..it saw that it was indeed a hard disk..but all the attributes on it were 0's across the board. So after a bit of reading i found that the drive was in the PUIS state..so i downloaded HDAT2 and booted to it,ran the /w switch as instructed to turn off the PUIS state and viola the drive was seen by the bios.but..all was not well

Upon trying to format the drive for use,it kept disappearing from disk management,so i figured there might be some left over power scheme causing this..(and also its size was being misreported as 298 gigs instead of 320,but i later found this was common,).
so i snooped around in the command features area...now i will go ahead make a long story short and admit i did a few things wrong
1.i believe i shut down DCO
2.i disabled HPA. (i had thought this the cause of the discrepncy between 298 and 320 gigs,i was wrong)
3.i think i reengaged the PUIS mode after disabling the first two things. (so now the darn thing wont spin up)
4. used "restore to default" command
now the disk will not be seen as HDAT2 as nothing more than a "PCI DEVICE",no commands will work on it at all..and the bios will default to its normal "hard disk" and all attributes 0 type of thing.

then i read the following

""""""The system uses the IDENTIFY_DEVICE command to determine the supported features of a given hard drive, but the DCO can report to this command that supported features are nonexistent or that the drive is smaller than it actually is."""

my questions to you gentlemen are:

1.can DCO be restarted somehow?
2.is there some way of forcing the PUIS off so that the drive will spin up? (since the HDAT2 /w switch has failed)
3 was disabling HPA in anyway bad?

i dont belive the firmware was corrupted,i just turned one thing off then another and locked the drive somehow
it does say the following under HDAT2
DCO:DISABLED
HPA:DISABLED
SECURITY:DISABLED.

i would really like to try and save this drive,since i hate seeing good hardware go to waste.
any suggestions?..and yes i know i made some severe mistakes,but please be nice.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Keith.