All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Samsung HD103SJ 1TB clicking noise
PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 4:50 

I have made some tests with the serial cable of the image above, trying with both settings for Marvell and Samsung chips, like from the link provided from Spildit.

Hardware Flow Control tested with: None – Xon/Xoff – Rts/Cts – Dsr/Dtr

I always see garbage characters like from the Putty screen below

Now, after few seconds the clicks disappears and the Hdd motor spin down.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 6:45 

I'm not going to get involved in your overall problem, but to answer your question:

glhd wrote:
I don' have a tll adaptor but the spoiled serial cable below, can I use this ?

No! It won't work correctly (incompatible voltages) and using that might have damaged the drive's electronics. :(

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 7:17 

Vulcan wrote:
No! It won't work correctly (incompatible voltages) and using that might have damaged the drive's electronics. :(

Can I buy any TLL adapter, Usb or Com version ? They cost nothing on Ebay

Or should I buy some particular model ?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 7:47 

You've just sent +- 12 on expected +3.3/0 ...
:(

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 10:06 

Now the HD spin down after some clicks, I hope it's not related to this...

Anyway, I'll buy an Usb TTL and not the com version, so that I can use it on modern laptop with no com port.

It should create a virtual com port.

Any suggestion on TTL device is welcomed

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 10:49 

@BlackST,

Yes, exactly - perhaps not +/- 12V, especially if it was a laptop serial port, but at least +/- 5V. :(

@glhd,

I don't understand exactly what you are now asking about regarding "suggestion on TTL device", but perhaps someone else understands / cares.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 10:51 

glhd wrote:

Maybe "something" has died completely OR the PCB was screwed during these attempts.

Is all this "just for learning" or data has still an importance ?

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 10:53 

Vulcan wrote:
@BlackST,

Yes, exactly - perhaps not +/- 12V, especially if it was a laptop serial port, but at least +/- 5V. :(

@glhd,

I don't understand exactly what you are now asking about regarding "suggestion on TTL device", but perhaps someone else understands / cares.

Recent laptops do not have serial port anymore since some years, anyway even if it was a laptop it's far more than +5/-5 ....

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 11:01 

Vulcan wrote:
@BlackST,

It was a desktop serial port... :roll:

Vulcan wrote:
@
@glhd,

On Ebay I've found TTL device for 2 dollars, so I'm asking if one of these ultra cheap device will work or if is better to buy something better

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 11:02 

BlackST wrote:
Recent laptops do not have serial port anymore since some years

True, and that is why I keep using my older Toshiba - sometimes a serial port is useful. :)

BlackST wrote:
anyway even if it was a lpatop it's far more than +5/-5 ....

Not the ones I have measured, which were using +/- 5V signal levels on the serial port. YMMV, of course, and that is why I said perhaps it was not +/- 12V. None of us actually know the exact TxD serial port voltage on the OP's serial port, but we certainly agree it will be outside the limits of what the drive expected. :(

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 11:04 

BlackST wrote:
glhd wrote:

Maybe "something" has died completely OR the PCB was screwed during these attempts.

Is all this "just for learning" or data has still an importance ?

Most of the data was backed up, but if I can recover something is better, so it's not only for learning.

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 14:57 

glhd wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
@glhd,

On Ebay I've found TTL device for 2 dollars, so I'm asking if one of these ultra cheap device will work or if is better to buy something better

Unfortunately you are making it difficult to help you, as "TTL device" is too vague to give an answer. :( If you supply a link to whatever you are talking about, that will probably help. :)

All I will say is that you have to take responsibility for your decision to do DIY. I don't know how anyone can tell you if something from Ebay will "work", or not. It could be broken, or you might connect it wrongly, or X other possible problems. Or perhaps you are describing the right adapter and it works, but your drive has already been damaged by your decision to attach the drive to a PC serial port, and so whatever you get from Ebay might appear not to work (although there are tests you can do). The point is that IMHO you are asking a hypothetical question, which is not possible for someone else to answer with confidence. Of course another member here might have a different view.

As I said a while ago, I was just trying to help by answering your earlier question. I could already see from the earlier part of the thread that there would be communication problems, so I'll stop here. Good luck :)

PostPosted: June 28th, 2013, 16:48 

Vulcan wrote:
glhd wrote:
Vulcan wrote:
@glhd,

Unfortunately you are making it difficult to help you, as "TTL device" is too vague to give an answer. :( If you supply a link to whatever you are talking about, that will probably help. :)

All I will say is that you have to take responsibility for your decision to do DIY. I don't know how anyone can tell you if something from Ebay will "work", or not. It could be broken, or you might connect it wrongly, or X other possible problems. Or perhaps you are describing the right adapter and it works, but your drive has already been damaged by your decision to attach the drive to a PC serial port, and so whatever you get from Ebay might appear not to work (although there are tests you can do). The point is that IMHO you are asking a hypothetical question, which is not possible for someone else to answer with confidence. Of course another member here might have a different view.

As I said a while ago, I was just trying to help by answering your earlier question. I could already see from the earlier part of the thread that there would be communication problems, so I'll stop here. Good luck :)

Sorry but English is not my language so sometimes I express myself in the wrong way.

Obviously I’m not asking if the Ebay seller will send a functional or broken device, but if any TTL device can be suitable for hd troubleshooting.

And last...

Good luck to you :agree:

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 4:01 

The Putty screen dump seems to suggest that the "TTL" interface may be very tolerant. Perhaps there are latchup protection diodes on the GPIO inputs, in which case the inputs may have survived. For example, Microchip's PICs are designed to tolerate RS232 signal levels, provided there is sufficient series resistance.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 4:19 

fzabkar wrote:
The Putty screen dump seems to suggest that the "TTL" interface may be very tolerant. Perhaps there are latchup protection diodes on the GPIO inputs, in which case the inputs may have survived. For example, Microchip's PICs are designed to tolerate RS232 signal levels, provided there is sufficient series resistance.

The label on the hd says that the power specification are +12V /+5V

I completely ignored that the TTL interface used different voltages

Also the Putty output was always the same between differtent tests

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 8:49 

I'll buy one of these based on availability:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-USB-2-0-TT ... 3a731c735c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-CP2102-USB ... 1c32b76de7

They are based on the CP210x chip with good driver support for many OS.

PostPosted: June 29th, 2013, 15:34 

glhd wrote:
The label on the hd says that the power specification are +12V /+5V

I completely ignored that the TTL interface used different voltages

Also the Putty output was always the same between differtent tests

The GPIO pins would be powered from the onboard Vio supply. That's usually +3.3V, or maybe +2.5V.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 12:16 

When this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-USB-2-0-TT ... 3a731c735c

device arrives, I have any chance of fixing something, or I can only have a better diagnose of the problem ?

Thank you

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 12:25 

glhd wrote:
I have any chance of fixing something, or I can only have a better diagnose of the problem ?

IMHO only better diagnosis - perhaps - depending on what the terminal output shows.

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2013, 12:58 

Quote:
I have any chance of fixing something...
?

close to zero.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next