All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate 7200.12 HDD not seen in BIOS
PostPosted: July 8th, 2013, 13:29 

My questions are pretty specific & are probably addressed to a particular user, namely ROb.

I was reading through another thread about a dead ST31000528AS 7200.12 HDD:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18907

In that thread, bochen415 quoted member ROb (page 2 about half way down) as follows:

Quote:
start your drive by shorting read channels

F3 T>/2

F3 2>Z

Spin Down Complete
Elapsed Time 6.035 secs

[Remove the shorting and give following command]

F3 2>U

HighPowerMode
ExecuteSpinRequest
Spin Up Complete
Elapsed Time 3.573 secs
F3 2>/

F3 T>m0,2,2,,,,,22
Max Wr Retries = 00, Max Rd Retries = 00, Max ECC T-Level = 16, Max Certify Rewr
ite Retries = not supported

User Partition Format Successful - Elapsed Time 0 mins 00 secs

F3 T>/1

F3 1>N1

Clear SMART is completed.
F3 1>
[disconnect the power, wait couple seconds and connect again]
Rst 0x08M
(P) SATA Reset

And then he followed that up with a couple of pictures where he shows the "read channels" to be shorted.

My questions are:

1. Is this a good & true listing of the steps required to possibly bring the drive out of the notorious BSY error? The drive is the same as listed above with firmware CC46.

2. When you say "start your drive by shorting read channels" what specifically do you mean by that?

do you put in the jumper with the drive completely powered down (no PS or terminal connections)? or do you have the drive powered up THEN jumper those points on the PCB? I assume you mean by "jumpered" that you put a small piece of wire between those two test points on the PCB?

Some clarification would be greatly appreciated.

I tried to figure out how to use a PM but I guess I haven't been around long enough to be allowed yet.

Post subject: Re: Seagate 7200.12 HDD not seen in BIOS
PostPosted: July 10th, 2013, 17:35 

It is not showing in BIOS. It spins up normally (i can hear & feel it) with abnormal noises, clicks pops, etc. then nothing.

If I take it out of the NAS cradle & connect it to the computer directly the computer hangs for a really long time at boot up. I can't even get into BIOS setup & the HDD light is on continuously.

That sounds to me like the BSY error. Or at least close enough to try the "fix".

So when I get to the "mo,2..." step I just ignore it & go on to N1?

PostPosted: July 11th, 2013, 9:12 

Thanks for the info.

You may have already figured out I meant "NO" abnormal noises when the drive spins up.

Is there somewhere that lists all of the terminal commands for this firmware? That would sure be helpful.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 6:32 

Also, I guess I should have asked this before but I assume you still need to insulate the read head connections from the PCB?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 6:38 

You may reach T> without any shorting, but isolate PCB wont work.

If short circuit is needed, you need to identify the read channels and short them, usually with tweezers is ok.

At T> hit 'V40' and check for defects in the output table. If there are defects, then dont try anything and consult a professional to get it recovered. If there are no defects. then possibly the translator regen could work, but this is at your own risk, and you should consider that there are a variety of different problems that result in similar symptoms.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 7:17 

Ok...

another update...

I shorted the read channels, insulated the head contacts & I get this:

"Rst 0x20M
Servo Processor Is Reset
RW: Disc Ctlr Initialization Completed.

Execute Spin Request

No Host FIS-Readystatusflags 2002B001_"

And that's as far as I can get...

The drive won't respond to any commands from the terminal. It just keeps flashing the cursor at the end of the last line above.

I hit ctrl+z & nothing...

Any ideas?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 7:25 

OK... again...

After reading hddguy's post above I removed the PCB insulator & then got the following:

"Rst 0x20M
Servo Processor Is Reset
RW: Disc Ctlr Initialization Completed.

Execute Spin Request

(DOS) Table Read FAIL
DOS: MAGIC CONFIG NUMBER MISMATCH
(DOS) Table Read FAIL

No Host FIS-ReadyStatusFlags 2002A185_"

And the drive still won't accept commands.

Ideas?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 7:54 

Ok...

I fixed that problem (I had the Flow control set to "Hardware" instead of "none").

Now when I type in the V40 command at F3 T> I get a listing of the non-resident G-list with a total of 5 entries returned & the some data in the table.

What now? Is that what I should see?

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 8:14 

Yes. It means that prior to shipping from factory additional defects were identified and added to a secondary defects list (NRG) and translator is calculated from both slip list and NRG list.

If you make translator regen now it will take into account slip list only, and other defects from NRG will still be live on the HDD preventing access beyond the position of the first error.

Unless you have some way of manually importing these defects, you need to stop what your doing. Also, it could be a good idea to copy the output of V40 incase you make some irreversible changes.

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 12:05 

Code:
Modify Track Defect List (Level 2 'F')

Description:
    The Modify Track Defect List command modifies the defect list for the specified
    sector(s).

Quick Help:

"ModTrkDfctLst, F[PSctr/LBA],[Action]";

Input Parameters:

0 - Physical Sector or LBA to Modify.

If Parameter 1 is A1, B1, C1, or F1, this value is an LBA.
        If parameter 1 is some other value, this parameter is the physical sector number
        of the block to be affected.  The cylinder and head come from the current address.

Type:    Unsigned 32-bit value

Range:   0 to 0xFFFFFFFF

Default: 0

Note:    The track and head used are the current track.  When working with sectors
                   that are already alted, it is best to use the LBA mode actions (B1 and C1
                   below) .

1 - Defect List Action.

Parameter 1 specifies the format action to be taken. The valid choices are:
          A - Add Sector to Alternated Sector List
          A1 - Add LBA to Alternated Sector List
          B - Add Sector to Pending Sector List
          B1 - Add LBA to Pending Sector List
          C1 - Remove LBA from Alternated Sector List
          F1 - Remove LBA from Alternated Sector List ( same as C1 above )

Default: 0x0C1

Output Data:

If an error occurred, the following information will be displayed.

"DiagError aaaaaaaa "

where

aaaaaaaa is the Diagnostic Error Code

Examples:

Example #1:
    To remove LBA 1234 from the alt list:

F3 2>F1234,f1

Revision History:

0001.0000 Initial Revision.
    0002.0000 Remove 2>Fx,F; add Fx,F1 to unalt by sector.
    0011.0000   Combined the PSG Diagnostic Error Codes (PSGDEC) and the Diagnostic External
                Test Service Error Codes (DETSEC) into a single set of Diagnostic Error Codes
                 (DiagError).

Hope this helps :roll:

If u ADD those 5 entries manualy into slip , it should work , Wait for some experts advice before you do anything

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 15:33 

flydr4g0n wrote:
Code:
Modify Track Defect List (Level 2 'F')

Description:
    The Modify Track Defect List command modifies the defect list for the specified
    sector(s).

Quick Help:

"ModTrkDfctLst, F[PSctr/LBA],[Action]";

Input Parameters:

0 - Physical Sector or LBA to Modify.

If Parameter 1 is A1, B1, C1, or F1, this value is an LBA.
        If parameter 1 is some other value, this parameter is the physical sector number
        of the block to be affected.  The cylinder and head come from the current address.

Default: 0

Note:    The track and head used are the current track.  When working with sectors
                   that are already alted, it is best to use the LBA mode actions (B1 and C1
                   below) .

1 - Defect List Action.

Parameter 1 specifies the format action to be taken. The valid choices are:
          A - Add Sector to Alternated Sector List
          A1 - Add LBA to Alternated Sector List
          B - Add Sector to Pending Sector List
          B1 - Add LBA to Pending Sector List
          C1 - Remove LBA from Alternated Sector List
          F1 - Remove LBA from Alternated Sector List ( same as C1 above )

Default: 0x0C1

Output Data:

If an error occurred, the following information will be displayed.

"DiagError aaaaaaaa "

where

aaaaaaaa is the Diagnostic Error Code

Examples:

Example #1:
    To remove LBA 1234 from the alt list:

F3 2>F1234,f1

Revision History:

0001.0000 Initial Revision.
    0002.0000 Remove 2>Fx,F; add Fx,F1 to unalt by sector.
    0011.0000   Combined the PSG Diagnostic Error Codes (PSGDEC) and the Diagnostic External
                Test Service Error Codes (DETSEC) into a single set of Diagnostic Error Codes
                 (DiagError).

Hope this helps :roll:

If u ADD those 5 entries manualy into slip , it should work , Wait for some experts advice before you do anything

did you try on live data ? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: July 16th, 2013, 16:47 

BlackST wrote:
did you try on live data ? :mrgreen:

No i didn't tryed this . I have a 7200.11 who won't format using m0,8,2,,,,22 , hangs at 5% 000FFF00 ERR 43110081 , can u help me with that BlackST ? i'm trying to refurb the drive to use it for music (no DATA on disk , been zero filled with MHDD)

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 0:54 

Is there any way that I could import those entries to a g-list?

I'm just weighing all of my options here.

The data is kind of important to me but not THAT important. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get this recovered. It would be great if I could do it though as there are SOME files i would REALLY like to be able to get off of it.

Let me try to understand this...

The g-list is a post factory list generated by the drive controller to designate & remap bad sectors to a different area on the drive. If I regenerate the translator the controller will have no idea where to look for the data once it reaches the first bad sector indicated by the g-list since that remapped sector tells it where the next good sector is?

Or will it just skip to the next good sector on the drive & keep reading in order & I will have a small corruption in some of my files?

It seems that if I just did as flydr4g0n suggested it would skip over those bad sectors like they didn't even exist. Would the controller be able to reconstruct the files at that point?

What does "non-resident" mean? I mean, I know what the term "non-resident" means but what does it mean in relation to the g-list? How does it differ in respect to a "resident" one?

Did those who were successful in repairing their 7200.12 HDD's with the above procedure just get lucky that they didn't have any entries in the g-list?

I really appreciate all of the help.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 5:29 

V40 - the nonresident G List will be displayed. This PBA based list
combines the previous nonresident G List with the resident G List at the time of the
last format.

Code:
  Nonresident GList                   5 entries returned
    Total entries available: 5
        PBA    Len  Flags  Phy Cyl Hd  PhySctr    SFI
           0    1      0        0   0      1      1F7
          3F    1      0        0   0     41     8164
        5290   19      0        9   0    36D   1032CD
       119C2    2      0       20   0     21    83B66
    1D48B830    1      0    201FD   0    591    7B12B

Flags:
      RESERVED                1  This bit is reserved for internal use.
      POST_FORMAT_DEFECT      2  If set, this is a Post Format defect.
      DEFECTIVE_SPARE         4  If set, this is a defective spare.
      GROWN_TO_PRIMARY_LIST   8  If set, this defect came from a Glist to Plist merge.

What to do ? WAIT for advice :roll:

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 5:33 

Advice: Consult a pro. If you contact a professional now, recovery can be made quickly and costs can likely be kept down. Attempt yourself and make things worse, recovery will take some time and will be much more costly in the long run.

Theres simply too much risk to your data involved with inexperienced attempts to fix complex issues.

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 6:28 

finity wrote:
Is there any way that I could import those entries to a g-list?

I'm just weighing all of my options here.

The data is kind of important to me but not THAT important. I don't want to spend a bunch of money to get this recovered. It would be great if I could do it though as there are SOME files i would REALLY like to be able to get off of it.

Let me try to understand this...

The g-list is a post factory list generated by the drive controller to designate & remap bad sectors to a different area on the drive. If I regenerate the translator the controller will have no idea where to look for the data once it reaches the first bad sector indicated by the g-list since that remapped sector tells it where the next good sector is?

Or will it just skip to the next good sector on the drive & keep reading in order & I will have a small corruption in some of my files?

It seems that if I just did as flydr4g0n suggested it would skip over those bad sectors like they didn't even exist. Would the controller be able to reconstruct the files at that point?

What does "non-resident" mean? I mean, I know what the term "non-resident" means but what does it mean in relation to the g-list? How does it differ in respect to a "resident" one?

Did those who were successful in repairing their 7200.12 HDD's with the above procedure just get lucky that they didn't have any entries in the g-list?

I really appreciate all of the help.

ABOUT REPAIRING FOR REUSE

The only .11 and .12 "repaired" by end users (not actually repaired !) with random "m(x)" commands had practically NO problems. If the drive hangs at somewhere % or exit with a precise error are beyond repair for the abovementioned average joe (can't tell more). If it is a "single" LBA entry, *MAYBE* - but it is not guaranteed that the problem will not come back with a vengeance or you repair one and then the adjacent gets bad soon.

m(x),y,.......z command for "repairing" and "adding to P-list (?!?) is another myth.

Also you may find empty, filled or very crowded NRG lists but it is the latest problem. It is a BAD problem if you are trying to recovery data and NRG gets cleared or altered (seen many times).

Side note : tampering drives with partial info got somewhere over the internet without knowing how things work is always a bad idea , especially on live data - if it's just a repository of personal unimportant stuff the damage is limited to the cost of a drive. :(

P.S. is the same case posted on at least 2 other forums on the net ?

ABOUT USING "FORMAT PARTITION" command :

Translator on .11 / .12 is a more complex thing than it seems !

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 6:52 

BlackST

I have old pc3000 , doesn`t support F3 seagate, tho i read the manual for F3 arch, but then again nothing about RAPAIR of this drives (7200.11 7200.12) if they have Bad sectors , like older non F3 architecture drives from seagate that had SELF-Scan on them . So the question comes , does it worth spending alot of money on new PC3000 and not be able to refurb , repair the drive for later usage ? OK u recover data , but what about the drive itself ? i refuse alot of people with 1TB , 2TB drives from seagate to even try DR due to the fact they want the drive to be repaired also , not just the data . Even if the client doesn`t want the Drive back , i wanna make it work , not just trow it in the garbage

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 7:25 

Edit time passed when writing this bit :lol: :

Ok translator is complex , but how can we understand anything if no one , anywhere talks about this F3 drives openly , is like they are " made of gold " inside and no one wants to debate the subject of 7200.11 or 7200.12 over the internet .

Seagate messed up with F3 arch firmware , but why don't we at least try to put our brains together to understand exacly "where" and most of all how to fix it . Does it really has to be like " i know where the problems is but i can't say more " ? Why ? is not a matter of nuclear bombs war or world economy , it`s about HDD`s and repairing them . Someone saying " i know how to fix it " and not sharing any of that with other people , to me looks like he talks out of books and tryes to look smart on the internet ( don't get offended) with no believeble arguments that he really knows how to fix "the problem"

Newsflash , if the F3 drives from seagate are "made of gold inside" , U ( and by u i mean the people who say they know how to fix them ) won't get all the drives in the world for yourself :D Chinesse allready sell certified repaired drives from seagate, they got them all ! :mrgreen:

Don't get offended by this post but it`s the ugly truth that none of U guys who claim "it can be fixed " ever share anything publicly , but instead U all say same thing that looks only like marketing to me " go buy 20000$ tool " or "take it to a PRO "

We all want to learn and no one is stealing anyone`s business . plenty of drives out there that will go bad at some point for us to FIX

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 7:43 

flydr4g0n wrote:

Ok translator is complex , but how can we understand anything if no one , anywhere talks about this F3 drives openly

People do talk about this. Generally its people who put in lots of time and resources into learning, understanding and solving issues with F3. Why then, after many hours and many headaches and information shared 'in confidence' between friends/colleagues etc, should this information be shared with people who dont have the knowledge, skills or tools to contribute to further development? Instead snippets of information get posted to public forums, suddently its a "simple fix" and everyone thinks its ok and safe...actually its very dangerous and makes it more difficult to recover in the long run.

flydr4g0n wrote:
why don't we at least try to put our brains together to understand exacly "where" and most of all how to fix it . Does it really has to be like " i know where the problems is but i can't say more " ?

I have learned lots from others, as I am sure others have learned lots from me. People do 'put their brains together' , just not in open forums, and not with people who dont have the knowledge or experience to contribute anything useful - this isnt selfish or mean, its simply about development and moving forward.

flydr4g0n wrote:
to me looks like he talks out of books and tryes to look smart on the internet ( don't get offended) with no believeble arguments that he really knows how to fix "the problem"

Maybe to some extent this is true, but there are many members of this forum who are fully capable of backing up claims with real knowledge and skill and whether you believe this or not is not a real concern to anyone.

flydr4g0n wrote:

Don't get offended by this post but it`s the ugly truth that none of U guys who claim "it can be fixed " ever share anything publicly , but instead U all say same thing that looks only like marketing to me " go buy 20000$ tool " or "take it to a PRO "

We all want to learn and no one is stealing anyone`s business . plenty of drives out there that will go bad at some point for us to FIX

You are a perfect example of exactly why data is not shared. The Op of this post is concerned about loosing data, your first contribution to this forum is advice telling him to mess with defect tables, but you have no idea how this would affect the data, yet offered no real warnings to reflect this.

This is what happens when someone with minimal experience and knowledge gets hold of some information he doesnt know how to process. This is exactly why certain topics are not made public...

PostPosted: July 17th, 2013, 8:41 

hddguy wrote:
You are a perfect example of exactly why data is not shared. The Op of this post is concerned about loosing data, your first contribution to this forum is advice telling him to mess with defect tables, but you have no idea how this would affect the data, yet offered no real warnings to reflect this.

This is what happens when someone with minimal experience and knowledge gets hold of some information he doesnt know how to process. This is exactly why certain topics are not made public...

yes i don`t have experience , but how can i learn stuff if no one points me in the right direction , or i can not read the "hidden" topics to learn about this stuff ? i`m busting my brains out to learn out myself what this commands do . I don`t advice anyone to try any command , i just suggest an idea and i always say WAIT for someone experienced to confirm is safe or not

He asked what is the NRG cuz he wants to understand , i gave him that .. AS for moving froward from there told him to wait for u guys to point him in the right direction :roll:

now ONTopic , if he notes the NRG entryes in a note pad then does the m0,2,2 , and after that manualy translate PBA`s that were in the NRG , wouldn`t that work ?