All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What's special about Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 3.5" 1TB?
PostPosted: August 21st, 2013, 8:30 

Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 3.5in 1TB SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383), 7200RPM, 32MB Cache. OEM

Been around for 4-5 years. Still seems to be in production and fetches above-avg prices at major outlets such as Directron-- even compared to newer brands/models. Of the ~15 drives I own, most are Hitachi's, and 5 are this model. Except for one case, where the failure may've been my fault, they are going strong. Now, there are a lot of variables to a HDD's ultimate reliability (including the reporting of reliability ... i.e., not all the user reviews on Amazon are ... ahem ... accurate or truthful).

All that said and all held equal ... is there anything special about the 7K1000.C? E.g., 1T means platter mass not too great to stress motor; the PCB for this series (esp new-old-stock or NOS) was longer baked; QC was higher for this model (NOS); etc.

If you're in DR, then please comment on failure rate as well as what typically fails for 7K1000.C?

BTW: I'm asking Q's about 7K1000.C as I need more storage. I'm debating on more 7K1000.C's or WD Red NAS 2T... so help me decide!

Thx!