All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Win 8.1, GTP, and re-initializing Drive?
PostPosted: February 28th, 2014, 16:59 

Hi Folks:

This is my first post to this forum.

Short Question:

I need to initialize a 4 TB drive to GTP.

Win 8.1's drive manager doesn't pop up the initialization wizard when it starts. The 4 TB drive is not listed in that graphic that displays a bit of info on each drive.

How do I force GTP initialization on the drive?

Long Story:

My sister just purchased a new computer, Windows 8.1 Pro, and I decided this would be a good time to move to 4 TB external drives for backup. I run Win 7 Ultimate on my PC.

The only drives I trust anymore are WD Black. I purchased a pair of WD4003FZEX and two of those Icy Dock enclosures with the big fan in front. The draw for the enclosures is the ESATA and USB 3 interfaces, and the positive reviews at Newegg.

A quick Google and I now understand the what and why of GTP.

I have no expectation that Microsoft will keep a consistent interface between versions of Windows. I went to the Win 8 control panel and didn't find the disk management window until after I stumbled into the “Storage Pool” window. The “Physical Drives” window did recognize the new drive. I didn't go far into that before realizing that was not what I wanted to do.

I went back to the familiar environment of my Win 7 PC to setup the other external drive, and found the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2581408

As soon as I brought up the “Disk Management” window on my Win 7 PC, the “Initializing Disk” window popped up. I selected GPT, and and formatted the 4 TB drive.

When I bring up the “Disk Management” window on the Win 8 PC, the “Initializing Disk” window does not pop up. I don't see any "initialize Disk" button or menu item to bring that window up. I'm wondering if bringing up the “Storage Pool” windows somehow messed up the drive in a way that the “Disk Management” window no longer sees it as a disk that requires the “Initializing Disk” window.

Or is the procedure for doing this in Win 8 different from Win 7?

The 4TB drive initialized on my computer seems to be working fine. Overnight ShadowProtect Desktop has backed up my system.

My sister would like to be able to initialize a raw drive, and format it, on her own machine.

Suggestions?

Thanks
Larry