All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "DRDY ERR" errors after unplugged SATA during work on 3 HDDs
PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 12:42 

Hello! I'm a novice here, so I may not know all of the rules - feel free to correct me.
I tend to have a lot of problems with HDDs, and I have 3 SATA HDDs that stopped responding with the same symptoms - "DRDY ERR" errors during boot (I use Linux). I used all of them in the same PC and I guess the problem started after I accidentally touched/moved each HDD while they were connected by a quite bad SATA cable - it's hard for me to tell a good cable from a bad one, and sometimes I end up using bad cables without even knowing. First drive it happened with had "DRDY ERR" errors in the beginning, then, after my try to save some information, locked up completely and now even hangs BIOS when plugged in. Second drive gave me enough fime to at least copy my SSH keys, and today I just slightly moved the third HDD and encountered the same problems. I attach photos of this problems so you can see what the kernel messages are.

First HDD is WD Caviar Blue WD5000AAKX. Second HDD is Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9. Third HDD is Samsung HD040GJ. Enclosed kernel output photos are after booting from the third one.

Of course, my questions are:
1) Where's the problem? Is it in the partition table or somewhere else? Other HDDs boot fine on the same PC after one has failed... Until I move them, of course.
2) Is it possible to restore those HDDs back to the working state? It wouldn't seem logical for them to lose their working resource just after an unplugged cable, if that's the case, and if it's simply a matter of a hdparm/parted command or something like that, it'd be great to continue using them for me.

If you need some additional info from these, just ask. And yes, I'll replace the cable ASAP :D

Attachments:
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG [ 4.31 MiB | Viewed 3499 times ]
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG [ 4.07 MiB | Viewed 3499 times ]

Post subject: Re: "DRDY ERR" errors after unplugged SATA during work on 3
PostPosted: September 27th, 2014, 13:20 

Hi CR : maybe check these two if you haven't already :

http://linux.chrissweeney.co.uk/topic.php?t=40

http://crunchbang.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=33261

good luck

Kern

Post subject: Re: "DRDY ERR" errors after unplugged SATA during work on 3
PostPosted: September 29th, 2014, 11:16 

Okay. Now it looks more like a problem with partition table, indeed =) As soon as I get access to a Linux system, I'll check those solutions and then report what worked for me. I'm going to try non-destructive approach first, but if it fails, I guess I'll just format everything as the second link suggests. Anyway - if somebody else has some suggestions - I'm more than happy to hear them ;-)