All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Circuits with compatible fuses & diode for Barracuda 7200.12
PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 11:26 

Hi,

I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 with two fuses burnt ; exactly the same as on the two first photos in this thread :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f16/solved-seagate-barracuda-burnt-circuit-board-diy-fix-533547.html

I assume that the 12V TVS diode from the third photo is burnt too, as the foam is brown all around.

The thread linked above suggests to simply remove the burned fuses and to make some electrical bridge. However, I find this dangerous, as those fuses are useful to protect against overvoltage. Yes, I'm maybe a little paranoid...

I do have a very similar circuit from a working drive and my idea is to transfer the two fuses as well as the 12V TVS diode from one PCB to another.

But because the other drive is working well and 1 TB, I wonder which cheaper drives could I use. I assume that drive with smaller capacities use the same fuses and diode, and maybe the same 12V TVS diode.
I also wonder if older series like the 7200.11, 7200.10, a.s.o use the same kind of fuses and diode.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Circuits with compatible fuses & diode for Barracuda 720
PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 19:02 

Why not buy the same PCB from a PCB supplier and change the components for the proper ones? You can buy just the PCB for Hard disks - search for Donor drives

PostPosted: October 17th, 2014, 3:01 

Those aren't really fuses. If they were, then they wouldn't burn. Instead I believe they are chip inductors and are used for filtering the supply.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 6:15 

Quote:
Why not buy the same PCB from a PCB supplier and change the components for the proper ones? You can buy just the PCB for Hard disks - search for Donor drives

Because of price. Donnor circuits are often around 50$, and cost often even more for recent drives.

Unlike other components, I assume that the ones I'm seeking could be shared by drives of several capacities and be shared by several series. Buying a defective drive would cost me around 5$ only.

Hence, I wonder which series use a similar PCB. I don't need the chips (like the controler) to match and I assume that even PCB revisions could be without importance in this case.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 9:30 

Are you trying to recover the data, or repair the drive?

PostPosted: October 20th, 2014, 23:51 

@SOSdonnees, if you replace the burnt components and they burn again, what will you do next? Will you replace the motor controller IC? Will you buy a replacement PCB and transfer the firmware yourself? Or will you call it a day? If the latter, then what do you have to lose by bridging those components?

PostPosted: October 25th, 2014, 8:45 

@data-medics : I want to repair the circuit board, in order to make a data recovery possible.

@fzabkar : Those components have certainly a reason to be, which is most probably to protect the circuit. Maybe other components after them were damaged too, but currently I assume they also could be undamaged. I want to replace the burnt components to minimize the risk other components to be damaged and the circuit becoming more difficult to repair.

As I do have a working similar drive, I'll try to get the references of the components and purchase them at an electronic distributor.