Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

SeaGate eHDD shows 372GB used, but no files or folders.

December 18th, 2014, 14:21

I recently (unsafely) disconnected my 1TB SeaGate eHDD from an XP machine. Now, when plugged into a windows7 machine, it prompts me to "format the disk before I can use it."

I have ran Recuva and it shows a bunch of random files that have been overwritten by my ACTUAL files. I believe this is a good sign as it knows my actual files exist.

For example:

blahbadfileIdontknow.dll overwritten by D:/MyFolder/MyGoodFiles

I have made a partedmagic live usb and have booted into it. However, when I mount my eHDD, it shows 372GB used out of 932GB, but the file browser shows 0 items. No files or folders on it can be seen or accessed.

I have also been running GParted for the past half hour and it has been seaching /dev/sdb partitions, /dev/sdb is my eHDD.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how I can get my eHDD back to normal? I will be on this forum for a while so I will give any extra information necessary to help you to assist me.

Thank you.

Re: SeaGate eHDD shows 372GB used, but no files or folders.

December 18th, 2014, 19:42

i would recommend you to test file scavenger 4.2 :)

seems that partition is corrupted

Re: SeaGate eHDD shows 372GB used, but no files or folders.

December 19th, 2014, 3:31

hello,

tra ddrescue, r-studio or active partition recovery
Post a reply