All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Data Recovery
PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 9:33 

Hello,

I have a Seagate Barracuda LP 2.0 TB hard drive that clicks (ST32000542AS). The drive was never dropped but was sent abroad for recovery. It was sent back untouched and promptly as they didn't have enough donor drives.

I replaced the board with one that had the same model number, firmware and revision but it has the same problem.

I opened the drive in a clean environment and it seems the head gets stuck at the center shaft. I returned the head to the rest stop but the same thing would happen at power on.

When I rotate the center shaft with the head at the rest stop, it moves normally (both clockwise and counterclockwise) all the way towards the shaft. However it gets stuck when it reaches the shaft and refuses to move away from the shaft by spinning the shaft alone and has to be forced with a little bit of pressure.

Since this is my first attempt at hard drive recovery, I was hoping for some feedback on what is most likely the cause and if replacing the heads is absolutely necessary since I'm finding it hard to find a donor drive.

I should point out that I have long since replaced almost all of the lost data and am doing this only for learning purposes. It does not matter if I lose the data on the drive although it wouldn't hurt to have it back either. Any help at all would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Seagate Data Recovery
PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 16:03 

You are straight asking for a head replacement without any tool, knowledge, and experience!

WOW! I want to do a heart transplant, please tell me how to do it though it's my first time experience! :)

SHAHI
shahi.mahbub@gmail.com

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 16:09 

I did not ask "how do I replace a hard drive head".

I asked "what needs to be fixed in your opinion/experience?".

I cant really help it if you skimmed through the post.

And besides, I have easier access to broken hard drives than human hearts. Everyone starts with no knowledge or experience.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2015, 16:48 

First requirement is a decent diagnosis - you need professional tools like pc3k, sd, dfl etc.

Then required action. It is never recommended to open the top cover until it's confirmed internal damage. As the data recovery service provided sent you back bacause of lacking of donor drive, then they might detected it's head.

If it's head, It's very sensitive and difficult. You need proper tools, clean room/chamber, and a lot of experience. If the replacement is successful, usually you will also need a imaging device to proceed.

SHAHI
shahi.mahbub@gmail.com

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 13:17 

Thank you for the helpful answer. The data recovery center did not go beyond checking the model number against their stock. I'm only trying to gain experience with this attempt- the data is not too important.

Since the hard drive is clicking, and replacing the pcb did not change anything, it seems to me that it has to do with the head. I opened it (in a dust free envt) hoping it was just stuck but it is something else that is likely obvious only to people with experience.

I understand that professional data recovery centers have expensive equipment that make their job easier but I'm only trying to do a DIY job. If I can reflow a cpu socket without a professional reworking station, this should be possible too even if it would be far more difficult.

The question is, is a head replacement the way to proceed here?

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 14:03 

Hard to believe that a DR company didn't open the drive for internal inspection, are you sure it was a DR company or just a computer repair shop?? something is not right here. You wont be successful to recover data from this drive, even experienced DR people have difficulties with this models, how are you going to transfer the head adaptives from donor to patient? you better of have a professional look at it, you may be charge diagnostic fees due to the drive been open. Good luck

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 14:58 

jbeight wrote:
I understand that professional data recovery centers have expensive equipment that make their job easier but I'm only trying to do a DIY job.

Problem is this isn't a DIY possible job. If it were a WD, Hitachi, or HGST drive I'd say you might have a small chance of DIY, but with a Seagate there isn't even a chance. Even with the pro tools these rarely work right after a head swap, and always require professional imaging equipment.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2015, 17:33 

data-medics wrote:
Problem is this isn't a DIY possible job. If it were a WD, Hitachi, or HGST drive I'd say you might have a small chance of DIY, but with a Seagate there isn't even a chance. Even with the pro tools these rarely work right after a head swap, and always require professional imaging equipment.

Thats a shame... But do you guys think the drive heads definitely need to be changed in this case (based on the symptoms)? The drive hasn't ever been dropped. It just started clicking suddenly after about 2-3 years of use.

hdd_sand wrote:
Hard to believe that a DR company didn't open the drive for internal inspection, are you sure it was a DR company or just a computer repair shop?? something is not right here.

I sent it to my friend in India since he said it'd be more affordable. Doesn't really surprise me that much tbh.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2015, 11:24 

A clicking drive like that is really only one of two likely problems:

1: Media damage in SA (drive is most likely completely unrecoverable)
2: Bad heads

Only way to know (if you can't see visible scratches) is to change the heads and see if you can get it to work. And with Seagate drives you usually have to do it three times.

Post subject: Seagate Data Recovery
PostPosted: February 27th, 2015, 12:13 

jbeight wrote:
the data is not too important.
The question is, is a head replacement the way to proceed here?
jbeight wrote:
I sent it to my friend in India since he said it'd be more affordable. Doesn't really surprise me that much tbh.

You don't need the data, but still decided to go with a head swap?
If you plan to use the drive afterwards, then probably it's even worse idea than DIY head swap.