Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Stopping a hard drive from needing the password to unlock.

March 16th, 2015, 12:49

I have a Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB hard drive every time I reboot the password needs to be re-entered. How do I completely remove the password so I don't need to re-enter? (By the way the password is "password") :roll:

Re: Stopping a hard drive from needing the password to unloc

March 16th, 2015, 13:17

If your bios supports security features you can disable it there. Otherwise use MHDD software with the following commands: UNLOCK and DISPWD. You will find this software on Hiren's Boot CD from which you can create a bootable usb flash drive.

March 17th, 2015, 20:58

do I have to chose a drive first or just enter the text?
When I enter UNLOCK I get no response when I enter DISPWD it says bad command ..

March 18th, 2015, 2:27

First you have to select your drive. If MHDD doesn't list your drive, then it is probably set as slave (try to select non-visible numbers like 2, 4). After you selected, press F2 and if your drive is recognised, you can type in the above mentioned commands. If I remember correctly, MHDD will respond to those commands. If it fails to unlock, you may try re-powering your drive while MHDD running and try again.
P.S. You entered your password after the unlock command haven't you?

March 19th, 2015, 9:56

Well I couldn't get MHDD to work so I used The ultimate boot cd it has an ATA password reset tool. Easy to use just follow the prompts.
Thank you for your time. There will be more Questions!

Craig.
Post a reply