All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help! WD HDD making clicking noises
PostPosted: March 21st, 2015, 11:34 

I have a WD7500BPKT 2.5" from Feb 2 2011, S/N : WXG1EC0HTH86
My hard drive had it's head stuck on the platters and wouldn't spin up yesterday so I (unwittingly) decided to 'fix' it... Needless to say, I most likely cause a head crashed because what use to be a buzz/beep is now a clicking noise :/. I've looked at videos of head replacements and have decided not to attempt it myself. I have about 605GB of data on this drive and would die if I couldn't recover it. I'm in Maryland, USA btw. I can't afford much but I need the help... if there were anyway to make payments or get what needs to be done for cheap, that would be nice. I'm not sure if it's the PCB or the heads that are making the clicking noise. I'll try to answer all the questions I can and provide as much information as possible about the drive. I'm a complete noob in this respect.

2011 Western Digital Scorpio Black 750 GB 2.5"
Firmware T0

Post subject: Re: Need Help! WD HDD making clicking noises
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2015, 15:29 

More than likely the heads were stuck on the platters and when it was forced off, one of the heads snapped. I guess you opened the drive outside a clean room and now comtaminated the inside of the drive with the outside air.

Hard drives are a one shot deal, you eather know what you are doing and take the lid off, or you loose it in one go.

I'm sorry to say that it looks like the drive will not be cheep to fix, and could cost 1,000's to repair. You should have kept backups. The only thing you can do is save up money, but I think its a lost cause from what you described as the head will be stuck to the disk and the disk would be scratched and damaged when it was powered back up. Its not a CD, a hard drive is far more delicate than that...

Shane

Post subject: Re: Need Help! WD HDD making clicking noises
PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 13:46 

If you still want your data back, I would recommend not to power that drive anymore as you can create way more damages.
Wish you have not opened your drive to repair it.