All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HGST SAS Drive Firmware Needed
PostPosted: July 8th, 2015, 21:06 

I'm in possession of several OEM HGST 10k 2.5" SAS drives. I was hoping someone might have a copy of the A2D0 firmware release for this model. They are the HUC109060CSS600 model drives. Also known as C10K900 drives.
Also, I have many copies of various OEM firmware available for most drives if anyone needs that kind of thing.

TIA!

Post subject: Re: HGST SAS Drive Firmware Needed
PostPosted: July 9th, 2015, 22:20 

I've been working with HGST support in the background. They have agreed to help, but need to talk to their engineering group to see if there is an available copy of the raw firmware that I need. I find it odd that LSI would release product documentation that shows these drives as supported with a certain version of firmware, but then that firmware isn't available anywhere that I could find. I suppose that the vast majority of these drives are OEM'd by various companies and they all load their own iteration, but you would think the manufacturer would keep copies of the original handy.
Anyway, the OEM versions of firmware for these disks are all readily available, but none of those versions are supported by LSI.
Does anyone know if there is a way to clear the "unsupported" flag from the physical drive?

Post subject: Hitachi OEM SAS Drive Firmware replacement
PostPosted: July 10th, 2015, 12:41 

VikingsFan wrote:
several OEM HGST 10k 2.5" SAS drives...
They are the HUC109060CSS600

What do you mean by "OEM drives"? Some other vendor sticker / firmware? If so, which one?

And how do you need to use the drives? Some particular storage?

These are Cobra-E drives, we can do a lot of terrible things with them.
If necessary, I'll be happy to help. How many drives you need to patch?

PostPosted: July 10th, 2015, 15:57 

Quote:
What do you mean by "OEM drives"? Some other vendor sticker / firmware? If so, which one?

And how do you need to use the drives? Some particular storage?

Yes, so they are HGST drives, but they were sold to either IBM or NetApp, who put a different version of firmware on them. I'm not sure if they do anything to the NVRAM, but they are running the NA00 version of firmware currently.

I'm planning on using the drives for general server storage purposes, behind an LSI MegRAID 9261-8i card in a small internal SAS enclosure. This card and enclosure support 8 disks, so that's all I need to flash, but I have many others.

Thanks for any help! It's greatly appreciated. HGST has told me they are willing to provide the original firmware, but oddly the support person I've been dealing with says he is having trouble locating a copy.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: July 10th, 2015, 16:22 

No idea why you're bothering to change the Netapp firmware if you're going to use it with an LSI raid.

Nothing special, it may be more reliable than the GENERIC version.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2015, 21:56 

Quote:
No idea why you're bothering to change the Netapp firmware if you're going to use it with an LSI raid.

I know, right? You would think it would be a supported configuration, but apparently not:

Attachments:
File comment: LSI Screen Shot
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 89.97 KiB | Viewed 79569 times ]

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 4:53 

Hi VikingsFan,

May I know if you have finally solved this issue?

I am in more or less the same situation.

Kindly help.

Thanks,
Bruce

PostPosted: November 10th, 2015, 9:45 

VikingsFan wrote:
Quote:

I know, right? You would think it would be a supported configuration, but apparently not:

I think its easier to Update the Controller FW rather than all of those drives. right?

I remember i had a problem with one of the SAS Controllers where it reads drives capacity wrong
tried to update the Controller with the same result,

I ended up changing the whole damn Controller with better one.

good luck

PostPosted: February 9th, 2016, 16:36 

I have some Seagate drives ST4000NM0023 that have hitachi firmware on them and am also getting unsupported on an LSI 9261-8i. does anyone have the Seagate firmware?

PostPosted: March 5th, 2016, 3:38 

Regarding the Hitachi HGST C10K900(Cobra-E) would firmware A5B0 suffice? I'll go retrieve it if so.

Also regards the Seagate ConstellationES3-Megalodon could you use firmware 0006?

PostPosted: March 17th, 2016, 2:51 

CEGNA5B0 (Cobra E)

Constellation ES3 Megalodon 0006 (Seagate)

Attachments:
CEGNA5B0.rar [646.2 KiB]
Downloaded 2789 times
MegalodonES3-SAS-STD-0006.rar [894.15 KiB]
Downloaded 2338 times

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 10:06 

Hi all,
i have the same issue with the same HDD HUC109060CSS600 i have download the firmware but how we can flash it to drive ???
if a specific program exist i don't know it.
can you post it please ?

Many thanks for all.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2016, 10:20 

Hi all,
I have the same issue with the same HDD HUC and i don't know how to flash the firmware.
Do you have the program to flash it or the name of this program ?

Many thanks !

PostPosted: July 29th, 2016, 15:15 

Did anyone get anywhere with the HUC109060CSS600? I just purchased 10 of these and have run into the same issue. Maybe we are all buying from the same ebay seller. lol

PostPosted: April 26th, 2017, 16:55 

Hey all, sorry I double posted on this topic: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35283

We found a solution, using sg3_utils to do a low level format has made the drives usable in whatever systema nd config we want.

PostPosted: April 26th, 2017, 18:06 

FYI if you keep the drives 520 byte sector sized, and list them accordingly, you can sell them for 2x as much on Ebay. The occasional time I get EMC drives dropped off for free wiping, I usually sell them all within a day of listing the wiped drives on ebay. The 520-byte sector size is in demand apparently.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2018, 15:23 

Just an update - I was able to get the HGST drives working with the NetApp firmware NA00, but I needed an update from Avago for the 9261-8i firmware. Those files don't seem to be available anymore, but I have a copy if anyone needs it. These RAID cards are getting older and I don't think they'll be viable much longer.

PostPosted: May 9th, 2018, 16:51 

I picked up some Hitachi 600GB SAS drives (HUC106060CSS600) and am having some difficulties with them. From what I can tell, they OEM drives for a Hitachi VSP storage array, with a p/n of 0B25662 on the drives. Up to this point, I was able to use the sg3_utils package in Linux (centos) to get them to the 512bit sector size I needed. The problem I now have is I am not able to get them to initialize, or create an array with them.

I have done most of the work on them with a LSI 9211-8i HBA. I am leaning toward a firmware change to get them to work, but haven't came across much info on google and the many forums around the web that has been able to help me. Looking at this thread, it seems to be a very similar, if not the same situation I am in.

I am hoping for some sort of idea from someone on here!

PostPosted: January 12th, 2019, 10:00 

Were you ever able to resolve the issue with these drives? I also purchased a bunch of HGST HUC109060CSS600, with p/n 0B26032.

The first thing I did was reformat them from 520 to 512 block size.

After I did that, I was able to get them to initialize on a Dell H710 on RAID 10, however they would not format. When I tried to format them, they would be immediately marked as Foreign by the controller.

I tried them in an IBM HS22 blade instead, and I was not able to initialize them there. I would get some error - I don't recall completely - but something like "An error occured while writing non-volatile settings"

My next thought was also to update the firmware. Were you able to do it? Where did you get the firmware from, and how did you update it?

PostPosted: February 15th, 2019, 8:57 

Who has the firmware for HUC109060CSS600 (Cobra E), HUC106060CSS600, HUC106030CSS600 (Cobra D), lay out, please. I have these discs under VPS DKR5D, DKR5C. It seems to me, I have made much progress in solving these case. I need different versions of the firmware for experiments. So far I have only A5B0 version.