All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOWTO: Disable Seagate DM001 APM Head Parking *Permanently*
PostPosted: October 4th, 2015, 6:01 

HOWTO: Disable Seagate DM001 APM Head Parking *Permanently*

Hardware needed: Seagate STx000DM001 disk, empty USB drive (any size)

I have tried to disable my Seagate ST2000DM001 head parking for quite some time without success, but after I tinkered with HDAT2 again today, I am able to save the APM value to disk permanently. Now the disk runs silently without any head parking. Feel free to share this instructions anywhere.

If you follow the instructions right, your data in the disk will NOT be deleted.

Warning: HDAT2 can be dangerous if mis-used. It can wipe your disk clean, or make persistent size / attribute changes or lock it up. Please follow the instructions carefully. If any step gives you any error, or the instruction does not match your screen, STOP!

Steps:

1. Get HDAT2 1.44M IMAGE from: http://www.hdat2.com/files/hdat2img_50.exe

2. Extract the content of the file to a temp folder, the file you need is named "HDAT2FDD.IMG"

3. Get Win32 Disk Imager from: http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

4. Use Win32 Disk Imager to write HDAT2FDD.IMG to an empty USB drive

5. Boot from the USB drive to DOS prompt, type "HDAT2", <Enter>

6. Select the DM001 drive to modify in the device list, <Enter>
** If the intended disk is not on the list, you need to change your SATA mode from AHCI / RAID to IDE temporarily and start over.

7. Select "Commands Menu", <Enter>

8. Select "Commands/Feature Sets", <Enter>

9. Select "Advanced Power Management (APM) Feature Set", <Enter>, <Y>, <D>, <Enter>

10. <Esc>, <Esc>

11. Select "Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) Menu", <Enter>

12. Select "Modify", <Enter>

13. Select "Security Mode Feature", <Right Arrow>, <S>, <Y>
** We only do some changes to be able to save DCO, since this item is disabled by default, removing it does not affect any disk functionality. Saving DCO will result APM setting being saved onto disk.

14. Keep pressing <Esc> until quit to DOS prompt.

15. Power off, all done!

Don't forget to change SATA mode back to AHCI / RAID if you changed it in step 6.

The default APM value for the disk should now be 0 (Disabled) instead of 0x80 (Minimum)

Post subject: Re: HOWTO: Disable Seagate DM001 APM Head Parking *Permanent
PostPosted: October 5th, 2015, 3:28 

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: October 7th, 2015, 3:26 

I followed your steps but in hdat2 i can't find "Advanced Power Management (APM) Feature Set" but there is only "Power Management Feature Set" Which is in enabled state no options to disable it

Pls advice

PostPosted: October 8th, 2015, 3:59 

gps31 wrote:
I followed your steps but in hdat2 i can't find "Advanced Power Management (APM) Feature Set" but there is only "Power Management Feature Set" Which is in enabled state no options to disable it
Pls advice

Can you specify your HDD full model? I.e ST3000DM001-9YN166

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 16:44 

Hi FunkyRider,

Tried your method, which seemed to finally be the long awaited answer, but when i go to the Device Configuration Overlay (DCO) Menu , they're all colored red and i can't enter the Modify menu in any way(says command aborted). I tried this both with AHCI and IDE. In conclusion the APM resets to ON after a cold boot.
The nasty part is that i recently bought another ST2000DM001-1CH164 that had firmware CC27.
The old one i had , had firmware CC43 which didn't have this head parking sound(probably APM disabled in firmware) so i never got to read the forums regarding this "feature".
Being very "bright" , i just instantly downloaded from Seagate the firmware update for this model (named CC29/CC49). I then assumed that the CC27 drive would update to CC29 and the CC43 would update to CC49. But , to my surprise, they both updated to CC29 and they now have both APM enabled. WEEEEE the JOY !
Having any ideas on how to pass this "command aborted" thingy ?

PostPosted: December 9th, 2015, 17:54 

Seagate's ConGen parameters store the drive's configuration. You can access them via the drive's serial port.

For an example, see http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... 2&start=20

Note that your drive will probably have different byte offsets for each parameter.

The following parameters look promising:

Byte:0562: Bit:0, APM_IDLE3_SUPPORT = 0
    Byte:05A2: APMTimer3mSec = 00 20

There are several other APM related parameters.

I have no idea whether editing the ConGen will achieve the desired result. The original settings can be restored.

PostPosted: March 12th, 2016, 5:20 

Howdy all!
Yesterday I bough such HDD (Device Model: ST3000DM001-1ER166) ,by the time i had read this topic by chance .

i applied it and it worked fine.
Thanks very much !

Peace out.

PostPosted: June 21st, 2016, 16:58 

FunkyRider wrote:
HOWTO: Disable Seagate DM001 APM Head Parking *Permanently*

Created an account just to say THANK YOU!

I fixed two 2TB Seagate Expansion drives (firmware SC48)

Those were the last Seagate drives I'll ever buy! Now that I can actually use them for something, they're going in a SATA modded PlayStation 2 and OG Xbox.

** One thing I'd like to point out to newcomers, something that drove me mental for about an hour.. You actually want to get the USB file {{not the floppy image}}. To make a bootable USB, simply Google "Rufus 98 boot image". Use those files to make your bootable USB, then copy over the exe you downloaded from hdat2.com. Run the exe after it boots and follow the rest of the instructions like normal. Good luck!

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2016, 5:25 

Is the life time of these hard drives better with turned off head parking function?
I have a packed ST3000DM001 certified repaired disk. But I do not dare to use them because they go so quickly broken.
The last one has not even held one year at 24/7 operation.

PostPosted: July 30th, 2016, 3:57 

Worked beautifully on ST5000DM000. I used Rufus to create a bootable USB, and simply downloaded and copied the HDAT2 executable to the USB and booted it on my N40L

PostPosted: January 7th, 2017, 12:16 

turbatus wrote:
they're all colored red and i can't enter the Modify menu in any way(says command aborted). I tried this both with AHCI and IDE. In conclusion the APM resets to ON after a cold boot.
I'm probably too late, but I've had this problem too and have successfully solved it. Check https://www.hdat2.com/hdat2_faq.html, there is a solution:
Quote:
Q2: How to bypass a Security and/or DCO frozen state?

A2: 1) The SECURITY FREEZE command is being set in the boot process. This will prevent any further SECURITY related commands being sent until the hard drive is power cycled. It is most likely your BIOS doing this. Look in your BIOS configuration/setup, but some BIOS's do not have an option to turn this off, so you may be required to find a different PC/BIOS.

2) Try to connect the drive to another controller channel (maybe the last one) or another position on the channel. Some BIOS's do not send the Freeze Lock command to all channel master/slave positions.

3) Hot-plug method: use this method at your own risk! When the computer is off unplug the data cable from this hard drive. Power on PC, boot into DOS and then plug the data cable of the hard drive back in. I hope that the program will find this disk.
I solved the problem by enabling "SATA ESP" in my BIOS and then hotplugging the HDD after DOS boot. You can also just try to use another computer.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2017, 13:52 

Can somebody explains the advantages or usefulness of doing this (Disable Seagate DM001 APM Head Parking Permanent)?

thanks in advance...

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 9:40 

Hi all,

First of all sorry for reviving an old thread but this guide is the only one I could find that mentions this, I have a seagate ST2000DM001 and plan to use it heavily including an OS. I tried to follow this guide but problem is I cant even boot into HDAT2 using a usb drive, there's more than 1 usb boot option, they are USB-ZIP, USB-CD, USB-FDD, USB-HDD. Loading the USB-HDD shows "Starting Windows 98" and then "Type the name of the command interpreter", the rest don't work and just boot into windows, so its a mystery to me why the usb wont boot, Ive used Win32 Imager and Rufus to write the image with the same results, so not sure where else should I look? could it be something with the USB stick itself?

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 10:59 

It could be something with the usb stick . If you can find another to try, and if possible of smaller sizes.
Also, check the instructions for Rufus to see if you are creating the drive correctly.

Also, for your sentence " plan to use it heavily", at least do not use it for valuable data,

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 13:20 

rogfanther wrote:
It could be something with the usb stick . If you can find another to try, and if possible of smaller sizes.
Also, check the instructions for Rufus to see if you are creating the drive correctly.

Also, for your sentence " plan to use it heavily", at least do not use it for valuable data,

did you try to use the HDAT2? I tried another usb and its the same exact thing.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2017, 14:39 

If your usb drive is showing the "Starting Windows 98...", then the computer is recognizing and trying to boot from it.

If it says it cannot find the command interpreter ( command.com ) that would point to some problem in the creation of the usb disk, or on the original image that was written to it.

You could also try to burn a iso from HirenĀ“s Boot CD to an empty disk and boot from it. It includes Hdat also