Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

WD10JPCX-24UE4T0

May 23rd, 2016, 7:30

Hello,
The drive spin up normally no clicks, busy for a while (40 seconds) then ready but shows the full model and capacity 0.
1- when I tried to start with loader it clicks and spin down then recalibrate.
2- tried to replace heads but no luck. ( the heads working smoothly on the donor.
3- if I left the drive spinning for a five minutes it makes one click.

Smart hot swap?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
thanks in advance.

Re: WD10JPCX-24UE4T0

May 23rd, 2016, 8:50

Whats tools do you have?

Can the heads read SA, by reading mod 90 etc?

May 23rd, 2016, 9:00

day1data wrote:Whats tools do you have?

MRT
no SA access.

May 23rd, 2016, 10:05

unknown wrote:

MRT
no SA access.

Do you have terminal access ? Last week I had a case that the disk was OK but capacity was 0. Alll that needed to be done was to rebuild translator.

May 23rd, 2016, 10:38

DRUG wrote:Do you have terminal access ? Last week I had a case that the disk was OK but capacity was 0. Alll that needed to be done was to rebuild translator.

Unfortunately, the same issue with terminal port.
I don't think it will be a translator problem.
thank you very much.

May 23rd, 2016, 10:43

DRUG wrote:
unknown wrote:

MRT
no SA access.

Do you have terminal access ? Last week I had a case that the disk was OK but capacity was 0. Alll that needed to be done was to rebuild translator.

I'm guessing you had a Seagate, this guy is talking about a WD so doubtful to be translator related in that sense. Or have terminal access like that.

I'm not much of a MRT user, more of a PC-3000 user, but can you block SA access in ROM so that the drive doesn't even attempt to read the SA? That way you can do LRD upload and try reading & fixing the service area.

May 23rd, 2016, 10:49

so , when will i see you ?

May 23rd, 2016, 10:55

data-medics wrote:I'm not much of a MRT user, more of a PC-3000 user, but can you block SA access in ROM so that the drive doesn't even attempt to read the SA? That way you can do LRD upload and try reading & fixing the service area.

thanks for reply.
No SA block in MRT like UDMA. But I tried to short tv9 and tv10 to block heads from reading from SA with no luck. There's a faint noise when I power up the drive this noise end when the drive comes ready.
thanks for the input.

May 23rd, 2016, 11:05

In that case, just block the preamp with a piece of paper, wait for it to go ready, do ldr upload, then remove the paper. Sometimes you can get SA access that way.

If that fails, you can probably post your ROM code and someone with PC-3000 can modify it to block the SA. It's just a matter or adjusting the SA region by one sector so none of the modules are where it's looking.

May 23rd, 2016, 11:12

data-medics wrote:In that case, just block the preamp with a piece of paper, wait for it to go ready, do ldr upload, then remove the paper. Sometimes you can get SA access that way.

You mean block head contacts with a paper?
data-medics wrote:If that fails, you can probably post your ROM code and someone with PC-3000 can modify it to block the SA. It's just a matter or adjusting the SA region by one sector so none of the modules are where it's looking.

here's the ROM file:
Attachments
ROM_WDC WD10JPCX-24UE4T0.rar
(243.74 KiB) Downloaded 518 times

May 23rd, 2016, 11:17

Tawfeek wrote:so , when will i see you ?

Very soon my friend, specially if you have a solution for lost nv-ram (ARM). :lol: :lol: :lol:

May 24th, 2016, 8:26

Spildit wrote:Don't you have WDR ??? Don't you have WDMarvel ???

- Block SA access by editing firmware region this way : - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php? ... 1498#p7977 and check this out as well - http://www.hddoracle.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=1523

- Now that you have blocked SA access power off and on the drive. Now edit S/A region IN RAM. Load overaly (mod 11) in RAM and load DIR in RAM. Can you access SA now ?

Thanks for the reply Spildit.
Unfortunately, I don't have WDR nor WDMarvel.

Spildit wrote:- Do you have SA access with HOT swap ?

I tried hot swap with the donor, but no luck. Maybe FW not matched and I don't have a close matched one.

How can I modify ROM manually to block SA then upload loader?
Thanks in advance, I appreciate your kind help.
Attachments
ROM Module.jpg

May 25th, 2016, 8:40

I followed the steps but no luck. After modification to Rom and power off/on I tried to load ldr but the drive clicks.

August 2nd, 2017, 5:28

hi there,

I'm a newbie here, trying to fix my customer's WD hd: WD10JPCX-24UET0 using MRT.
Unfortunately, I'm unable to get exact same ldr file to load LDR.
Anyone has this HD LDR with ROM Firmware version : 00160046 ?
Thank you very much in advance!
Regards,
YT TER
Post a reply