All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate Barracuda Model ST3000DM001
PostPosted: June 6th, 2016, 6:49 

I have done data recovery on a number of my own drives over the years, but only with the older PATA drives. I spent years downloading and sharing files and built up over 25 TB of films & music, and of course over time the drives start dropping out. I always buy two of any storage drive, so that if one stops working, I have the other matching drive of the same lot and batch for parts. Since SATA came out, it is not possible without proper equipment, and I have had to pay twice to have drives recovered for me. I have been researching all the various companies which produce data recovery systems, and I am planning now to buy my first piece of equipment. I have worked as a technical engineer for 40+ years, in the field, but due to health problems need to do something from my house to replace my job. I decided that Data recovery would be an ideal profession for me - something I can do well into my 80's (I'm a young 58 years now). I like so far Salvation Data's Data Compass, Ace Labs' PC3000 and the wonderful tools from HDDSurgery, like their spindle replacement tool and other tools. I have also looked into HDRC's tools, which are cheaper, but made of plastic - nowhere near as nice as HDDSurgery tools, but perhaps they are good to start with, and then buy more expensive tools later, as one's business expands. Now the present issue:

I have just had another drive fail, and rather than spend another €275.00 to have it recovered, I'm ready to spend my vacation money this year on my first piece of equipment. I'm thinking that the PC3000 would be the best to start with, but let me explain the problem I'm having with this drive, and maybe someone can tell me if the PC3000 would be able to recover the data in this case. The drive in question is an external Seagate Backup Plus 3TB desktop USB 3. I have three of them, and first ruled out the base where the usb and power cables connect by swapping with another drive. Then I took the drive itself out of the container and placed it in a 3 drive docking station. In every case, Windows makes its recognition beep when the drive is connected, it spins up, making the normal soft clicks at the start that every drive makes, but the drive letter never comes up. Windows Disk Management also does not see it. The drive inside the case is a Seagate Barracuda Model ST3000DM001.

Now my first questions for this forum.

1) Is there any software that might allow this drive to be recovered, or does the fact that the drive is invisible to Windows (7 Enterprise 64 bit) preclude that.

2) Would the PC3000 give the best chance for recovery?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give.