All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Seagate activity LED always on while in a tray caddy
PostPosted: July 13th, 2016, 17:17 

Hello.

This is my first post on this forum. I found it while Googling and although I am not a data recovery technician, I decided to ask about my problem here because I believe that people in this field will know the most about hard drives. The problem I am having has been bugging me for a while now so I finally decided to try and get to the bottom of it.

I am using an internal hard drive (caddy in my home PC and I noticed that when I insert my Seagate Barracuda LP 1,5 TB (ST31500541AS) drive into it, the activity LED on the caddy will glow constantly at about 50% power. When the drive starts transferring data, LED blinks with 100% power. A similar thing also happens in another caddy from a different brand in another PC.

I have several Barracuda LP drives and all have this same issue, but they all work just fine. Barracuda 7200.11 drives don't have this problem, and Western Digital drives neither.

When I connect the Barracuda LP to an internal bay in my PC case and connect it directly to the motherboard SATA port then the PC case HDD activity LED works normally (OFF when no activity and ON when disk is active).

So does anyone know why these particular Seagate Barracuda LP drives are sending power to the activity LED even when they are inactive? Is this a known issue with these drives ? Is there a solution?

Thanks for reading.