Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: Remove TVS Diode on WD 4TB Black

January 4th, 2017, 15:51

This problem has been resolved. The middle fuse/resistor pointed out by F_ARG was indeed blown. A local electronics repair shop was able to replace it and drive is working perfectly now.

Thanks a billion to F_ARG and others who took the time to answer. These things are always stressful and it's a relief to be done with it.

I also want to say that while I have seen negative reviews of Donor Drives/Outsource Data Recovery on here, they could not have been more helpful in discussing the problem with me by phone. Had I not found someone local to make the repair, I would have sent the drives to them.

greg

January 4th, 2017, 16:15

Also wanted to add that I did find another new WD 4TB Black hard drive with the same PCB. However we did not have to use it as a donor board as the repair shop was able to simply replace the blown fuse.

January 4th, 2017, 18:02

Well done, fortunately "luck" was on your side this time, always a good thing ( and nothing wrong with that, we all wish for it :) )

August 14th, 2018, 14:55

Hey all,

sorry to resurrect this thread but I'm facing the exact same problem with the same dead fuse. (exact same drive)

In the right black circle there's a dead fuse (I tested it with a multimeter):

I have no idea if someone in my area will be able to replace something that tiny and delicate.
Is this a normal common fuse or should I ask for something specific?
Can I buy the fuse online and just look for someone with a matching solder iron? (Mine is way to thick for this) What should I look for?

Thanks!

August 14th, 2018, 16:27

Sometimes a fuse blows due to a problem in the plate and changing it can cause the plate to end up breaking when it is broken in another more delicate place.

I recommend that before connecting the board the insula of the disk is not going to be that occasions a more serious problems in the reading heads.

August 14th, 2018, 16:27

@Shasoosh, did you measure the 5V TVS diode?

August 14th, 2018, 16:31

@mhp666 My PSU fried my motherboard and took the harddrive with it. I'm pretty sure that's the reason the fuse is blown.

@fzabkar I've measured everything in the picture above. The right black circle fuse is the only one that's problematic. I'd like to replace it but can't identify with what fuse I need to replace it. I tried searching for that pcb schematics with no luck.

August 14th, 2018, 16:55

Look for a 2A smt fuse at places like Farnell, Digikey, Mouser, RS Components.

August 14th, 2018, 17:00

Thanks @fzabkar

Does the v matters?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pcs-Littelf ... m570.l1313 is good for example?

August 14th, 2018, 19:36

The voltage rating is OK. Good luck.

August 15th, 2018, 3:58

Thanks. Last question, should I get fast acting or slow blow?
(sorry, I'm really clueless with this)
Post a reply