All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard drive access problems
PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 20:24 

Newby here
I'm in need of assistance with this, so far this year it's been pretty dire "I'll explain why"
On January 2nd my old PC packed up, it would turn on but couldn't see anything on the monitor (think it was something to do with the graphics card in the motherboard).
So went out and bought a new tower with windows 10 (my old one ran windows XP), I have all my accounts for my business, pictures, docs etc on the old hard drive that I need to transfer over to my new pc or at least run it on the old hard drive via the USB connection.
With that in mind I purchased a Orico External Hard Drive Docking Station which is a USB 3.0 & eSATA to SATA 2.5/3.5 inch HDD/SDD (whatever that means), plugged it up to the new pc and opened up the old hard drive.
Now the problem I'm having is after clicking on users and try and access any of the user names in the old hard drive it says I don't currently have permission to access this folder? after clicking on 'Continue' it says 'you have been denied permission to access this folder', I've clicked on security tab but that's where I draw a blank.
My wife was the admin on the old drive so I got her to try to access it through her account so she could uncheck the restrictions in the old hard drive (which she says is the same as the old one) but she couldn't get passed the permission stage either, not being computer literate (in fact a bit of a thicko when it comes to things like this) I am in need of a walk through.
If there's anyone who can help it would save me a massive headache finding other software packages and starting from scratch.

Brian

Post subject: Re: Hard drive access problems
PostPosted: January 16th, 2017, 20:49 

Most computer technicians would use Fabs AutoBackup for this. It's makes backing up/transferring user data a breeze. It knows where to look and what to look for in an XP system and where to put the data in a Win10 system. For example, in XP, the user profile is under Documents and Settings whereas in W10, it's under Users. It handles permission issues like you are having but there are some registry hives that cannot be fully accessed except from the user account on the original system. Just be sure to also include any directories/data not in the user profile, e.g., user-created folders on the root.