Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

Re: WD My Passport Decryption Tool

April 20th, 2017, 14:56

Jason0528 wrote:Can you PM me your email address?

Hello Jason,

I'm waiting to hear from you.

Best Regards,
Roberto

May 14th, 2017, 13:24

Because I have had another inquiry I would like to clarify the following:
If someone is in possession of the drive encryption key (DEK), this is of course enough information I need to build my decryption tool.
This can be done against a "small" fee.

Best Regards,
Roberto

May 30th, 2017, 16:48

Thanks Roberto, great help and service!

June 13th, 2017, 14:51

The Initio-1607 encryption system is still not implemented in my software solution.
But because there are more and more inquiries I will perhaps add the system to my solution.

But at the moment I have no clue when this will be the case.

If someone is interested in an Initio-1607 decryption, please let me know.
You can of course also send me a private message.

Please send me also a price suggestion, how much you can invest for the decryption and up to which date a decryption is still desired from your client.
The faster I reach a certain amount through the inquiries and price proposals ... the closer the implementation comes to the software solution.

October 7th, 2017, 0:44

Roberto, Hi Roberto.
I'm very grateful for your help. Can you send me password to unrar file ImageDecrypt_v1.0_build2310.rar?
Tks so much Bro.
my email: philipanh2015@gmail.com

October 7th, 2017, 11:11

it would be interesting to have DEK re-creation for Initio-1607, because of the famous bug in the FW of that chip that sometimes overwrites all copies of DEK with garbage.
IDK how hard it would be to develop emulator for Initio's "RNG" and how long it would take to brute-force the DEK.

October 21st, 2017, 15:18

Doomer wrote:it would be interesting to have DEK re-creation for Initio-1607, because of the famous bug in the FW of that chip that sometimes overwrites all copies of DEK with garbage.
IDK how hard it would be to develop emulator for Initio's "RNG" and how long it would take to brute-force the DEK.

It's hard enough to develop an "emulator" for this purpose... and it takes a lot time.
When the software developing is done.... the brute-force should take only a couple of weeks....
It depends of course on the CPU power you have.
Maybe I should start a kickstarter or gofoundme project :roll:

October 27th, 2017, 18:06

Hi Roberto,

I have a WD Passport 320GB drive with the mentioned Initio-1607. I've bypassed this chip and soldered a SATA port directly on the drive which allowed me to make an image for further work. It contains photos which was backed up many years ago, and of course, the password was lost. I know it was set because before I went the hardware route, the prompt had a custom "hint" which it doesn't by default. Also, using the default KEK (the number pi) didn't work.

As you might have guessed, I've identified and extracted the DEK from the image (with the help of github.com/themaddoctor/linux-mybook-tools ) but now I'm a bit at a loss on how to efficiently proceed. Rumor has it that the KEK is stored in flash of the USB controller, but that's beyond my technical skills :-)

I'd happily pay for the recovery of said password (in the tune of ~200 USD) and can also share the DEK or other parts of the raw image you need (even send you the drive if it helps).

October 29th, 2017, 15:09

MrWorf wrote:Hi Roberto,

I have a WD Passport 320GB drive with the mentioned Initio-1607. I've bypassed this chip and soldered a SATA port directly on the drive which allowed me to make an image for further work. It contains photos which was backed up many years ago, and of course, the password was lost. I know it was set because before I went the hardware route, the prompt had a custom "hint" which it doesn't by default. Also, using the default KEK (the number pi) didn't work.

As you might have guessed, I've identified and extracted the DEK from the image (with the help of github.com/themaddoctor/linux-mybook-tools ) but now I'm a bit at a loss on how to efficiently proceed. Rumor has it that the KEK is stored in flash of the USB controller, but that's beyond my technical skills :-)

I'd happily pay for the recovery of said password (in the tune of ~200 USD) and can also share the DEK or other parts of the raw image you need (even send you the drive if it helps).

I have sent you a private message.

October 29th, 2017, 22:34

I can't do private messages yet due to just having signed up. If you could send another private message with an email, I'd be grateful.

Thanks

October 31st, 2017, 8:10

Hello Roberto,

I have WD My Book 3TB, ans it seems the USB/SATA Controller is broken.
before it broken, i already run the disk health and all was good.

moreover, i already open the enclosure and connect it directly with SATA, but as it said the data itself is encrypt.
i never set any password in it, i really hope you can help me.

can you shoot me PM with your email so we can talk? i just joined and cant seem to compose PM.

Thanks a lot ! :D

November 1st, 2017, 4:28

Luftwaffes wrote:Hello Roberto,

I have WD My Book 3TB, ans it seems the USB/SATA Controller is broken.
before it broken, i already run the disk health and all was good.

moreover, i already open the enclosure and connect it directly with SATA, but as it said the data itself is encrypt.
i never set any password in it, i really hope you can help me.

can you shoot me PM with your email so we can talk? i just joined and cant seem to compose PM.

Thanks a lot ! :D

You have a private message.

November 28th, 2017, 21:40

@MrWorf Once you have the DEK, you only need to do the decryption.
Instructions are in the PDF at the site you mentioned on github.

November 28th, 2017, 21:42

@Luftwaffes
Try https://github.com/themaddoctor/linux-mybook-tools/ for free help

November 29th, 2017, 14:20

kaeding wrote:@MrWorf Once you have the DEK, you only need to do the decryption.
Instructions are in the PDF at the site you mentioned on github.

This won't help in his case, because his drive "suffered" from a firmware bug.

December 22nd, 2017, 14:12

Hello Roberto,

I have a WD Passport and I don't remember the password, do you think you can help me? How much would it cost?

Regards,

December 23rd, 2017, 3:31

axonymous wrote:Hello Roberto,

I have a WD Passport and I don't remember the password, do you think you can help me? How much would it cost?

Regards,

someone here offers the FREE Service : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21584&start=100
you may try it.

good luck

December 25th, 2017, 10:32

Hello roberto, can you write me your email because for some reason I cannot answer it directly.

February 20th, 2018, 6:07

Hello Roberto..
how do i get the decrytion tool for my wd my passport?
I forgot the password to unlock WD my passport. please give us details how to get it. How much would it cost?
Thank you

February 20th, 2018, 10:34

salam wrote:how do i get the decrytion tool for my wd my passport?
I forgot the password to unlock WD my passport. please give us details how to get it. How much would it cost?
Thank you

It depends on the case... normally it should not be too expensive.
First you have to send me some details about your HDD.
After paying you receive the decryption tool for your own special key.
Please check your private messages for further details.

Best Regards,
Roberto
Post a reply