All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: WD5000BMVW Corrupt U14?
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 12:10 

Hi,

I'm trying to rescue data from a WD5000BMVW USB 3.0 drive. Original problem was USB connect/disconnect loop, I suspected PCB is faulty and decided to replace.

I tried two different PCBs (same model), replacing both U12 and U14. In both cases, the device is identified as a generic device and nothing works.

However, if I keep the original U12 and one of the U14 replacements drive is IDs okay, SMART tests are good but sectors are garbled. My analysis is that the original U14 got corrupted and the replacement U14 is good but its encryption firmware is not compatible with the original one. Is that assumption correct or do I over simplify?

If that's the case, can I have hopes to get a SATA replacement (or tap to SATA lines on the USB board), dump the image and try reallymine to decrypt the image? Alternatively, any chance to find an original firmware image I can flash?

Many Thanks!

Post subject: Re: WD5000BMVW Corrupt U14?
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 14:50 

What is the bridge chip? Did you clear the G-list and turn of background surface scan?

Post subject: Re: WD5000BMVW Corrupt U14?
PostPosted: March 1st, 2017, 15:06 

If U14 is missing or corrupted (or incompatible?), the bridge IC (JMS538S ?) will identify itself with its manufacturer's Product ID and Vendor ID (PID/VID). You should be able to clone the entire "generic" drive, including the SmartWare area (which will now be visible via USB), and then use reallymine to decrypt it. Reallymine should find the encryption key at the end of the clone.