Switch to full style
Data recovery and disk repair questions and discussions related to old-fashioned SATA, SAS, SCSI, IDE, MFM hard drives - any type of storage device that has moving parts
Post a reply

ST1000LM035 - Glass platters

April 12th, 2017, 8:07

It looks like Seagate on the new 2.5" thin HDDs have gone to using a glass substrate on the platters. Nasty head crash in, and I can see through the platter. See image.

I've not yet seen enough of these in to conclude whether the platter gets damaged a large proportion of the time after head failure. How have people found working on these?

John

ST1000LM035 Glass substrate.JPG

Re: ST1000LM035 - Glass platters

April 12th, 2017, 10:13

Most(all?) 2.5" drives have glass platters

April 12th, 2017, 11:44

I thought the previous generation of actual Seagate manufactured 2.5" HDDs (i.e. Momentus, not Samsung M8) did not use glass. I don't ever recall seeing similar type of damage in Desaru series or similar? Or whether the top coating on these modern drives is much thinner than it used to be? Regardless, the ST1000LM035 are starting to come in now, and I wondered how people are finding they react, whether there is a higher than normal proportion of platter damaged HDDs?

J

April 12th, 2017, 11:48

cheadledatarecovery wrote:I thought the previous generation of actual Seagate manufactured 2.5" HDDs (i.e. Momentus, not Samsung M8) did not use glass.

A hammer will help you to find out :)

May 12th, 2017, 16:26

cheadledatarecovery wrote:It looks like Seagate on the new 2.5" thin HDDs have gone to using a glass substrate on the platters. Nasty head crash in, and I can see through the platter. See image.

I've not yet seen enough of these in to conclude whether the platter gets damaged a large proportion of the time after head failure. How have people found working on these?

John

ST1000LM035 Glass substrate.JPG

Does it look like a head swap from a donor could be done on these drives?

May 15th, 2017, 11:36

Ok, thanks. I was wondering because I have seen on the WD "slim" drives they are
doing platter swap to working drive vs. head swap.

May 15th, 2017, 13:02

moriskod wrote:Ok, thanks. I was wondering because I have seen on the WD "slim" drives they are
doing platter swap to working drive vs. head swap.

What you've seen was probably amateur videos by people who have no clue what they are doing. This comprises 99% of what you'll find on youtube.

Head replacement is always favored over platter swap unless it has a seized bearing or failed motor that you can't get to spin.
Post a reply